Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Master, Pactra, Aztek paints DISCONTINUED

Greetings,

I've just read this in my newest copy of a model railroad magazine, the RUSTY'O company has made it public, to say that due to a slow sales decline of these three brands over the years, they have pulled the plug on them, and they will no longer be made. The Testor Company will focus on other supplies and tools.   There you have it, so let's get to the hobby shop now, before the stock is all gone... GOOD LUCK!!!!!

38 minutes ago, slusher said:

I need a few colors before they are gone.. I do wish Hobby Lobby would sell Tamiya spray paint..

I agree. With the loss of several hobby shops in my area ( N.Va. ) the last few years Tamiya paints are tough to find. My local Hobby Lobbies only sell Tamiya paints in the white and gray primer rattle cans.... not the colors....in either bottle or spray cans. May have to start ordering online when my supply runs low.

17 hours ago, AMT4EVR said:

Greetings,

I've just read this in my newest copy of a model railroad magazine, the RUSTY'O company has made it public, to say that due to a slow sales decline of these three brands over the years, they have pulled the plug on them, and they will no longer be made. The Testor Company will focus on other supplies and tools.   There you have it, so let's get to the hobby shop now, before the stock is all gone... GOOD LUCK!!!!!

The Testors company will continue to sell spray paints as well. They are discontinuing the product lines you listed and consolidating them under the main Testors brand. Some colors and items will be dropped during the consolidation, but they pledge to add new paints/items as well.

Check out this thread, specifically the post by "blunote" about 1/2 way down the third page

Testors is going more after the soccer mom crowd with their "Crafternoon" campaign as seen on their Facebook page. I suspect to the bean counters there is a bigger return in catering to the folks painting napkin rings on a rainy Saturday afternoon with the kids than the people like us.

The phasing out of Model Master has been in the works for some time. Those of us who build aircraft are still lamenting the loss of the military color line a year or so ago. I  have a couple hundred bottles of Model Master I bought when an LHS closed down. Hopefully I'll be able to use them before they dry out. 

I read on the Fine Scale forum that Revell paint is coming to the states. I'm interested in trying those. I still use Floquil,  Humbrol, and of course the square bottle Testors. 

If Testors continues to sell their line of spray paint, they need to update the nozzle. Like trying to paint a mailbox with a firehose.

2 minutes ago, GMP440 said:

No loss here.  There are much better paints out there than Testors Model Master.

I kind of agree.

I won't miss much for Testors spray paints.

Most of them were never really all that great in the first place.

I'll miss a couple of the lacquer primers and clears just because they were easy to find, but they're not irreplaceable.

I will miss some of the bottle paints if they go away.

I still use quite a few Testors enamels for small stuff.

But there again, not irreplaceable.

Steve

13 hours ago, randyc said:

So.... what will will be doing for paints?  Dang.   Will the new Revell lines be avaialble in US?  Or will they be keeping the basic lines of paints?  The mind boggles.  

Revell's US Facebook page posted today that the U.S. & Canada were supposed to getting their line of paints and supplies (which includes the enamel and acrylic paint line) "soon". How soon depends on how far along they are to meeting the California labeling requirements before they made today's announcement. 

Edited by niteowl7710

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

$6 for Testors $10 for Duplicolor.. not much more for a superior product.

I agree.

If you have an airbrush, 2 oz. of Scale Finishes paint is about the same price as a can of Duplicolor, and the color choices are virtually endless.

With MCW introducing jar paint, I really can't imagine ever missing Testors.

MCW is absolutely superior to Testors, and with 1,500 colors coming around the corner, it will make the Testors line of enamels look like an amateur attempt. ;)

Steve

20 hours ago, boss 302 mustang said:

The engine paints like the Pontiac and Olds blues will be hard to match in another line.  Those are probably the biggest loss.

I'm sure that MCW will carry them if they don't already.

Scale Finishes already has engine enamels in premixed, ready to spray airbrush paint.

Picked up this bottle of Scale Finishes Pontiac Blue a couple of weeks ago.

image.jpeg.f03b170827170eef3ac5f4d9e821d96c.jpeg

They currently carry 29 engine colors, from "Chrysler Hemi Orange", all the way to more obscure colors such as "AMC Metallic Blue", "Austin Healey Green" and "Detroit Alpine Green".

Steve

11 minutes ago, RSchnell said:

Yes sir that's a haul! That red oxide is my favorite rattle can primer. Use it on every build. 

I use them all depending on the model. I use mostly the light gray, but just bought their white primer for a few things. I’ve used this for color and just clear coated over it.