Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 956 help

Hello all,

Not sure if this thread goes here (so mods, please move at your discretion), but I have a question to have answered to help guide a decision. . .

Using the box art as a guide here, I have an Italeri "Rothmans" Porsche 956, which is curbside, and a Tamiya "Newman's" 956 that is full detail. . . Now, I have some aftermarket decals, but as Stefan Bellof is one of my favorite historical drivers, I am inclined to use the Rothman decals on the Tamiya kit, and the aftermarket ones on the Italeri.

I know that sometimes we can run into issues of the same subject made by different companies being slightly "off" from each other, so, anyone here happen to know, or have done what I am contemplating? Are these kits close enough that any variances in decal shape won't make much of a difference (or any at all)?

Thanks in advance

You might be able to use the Rothman's script but I wouldn't bother with the blue body decals. The Italeri  front body is VERY different from the Tamiya version. You might want to go with Studio 27 or another decal maker.

To answer the question in my OP. . . my last project finished up and so I've started on one of the 956s. . . . Turns out the Tamiya kit is a "Langeheck" or Long tail version, while the Italeri is a short/standard tail (honestly, no idea what Porsche called this version of the car, as I've only ever seen the denotation for the LH version).

As such, the Tamiya kit, formerly of the Newman's Porsche team, will now be built as a Team Brun Motorsport Warsteiner 956, and the Italeri will get the OOB decals.

35 minutes ago, Ensis Ferrae said:

Turns out the Tamiya kit is a "Langeheck" or Long tail version, while the Italeri is a short/standard tail (honestly, no idea what Porsche called this version of the car, as I've only ever seen the denotation for the LH version).

Travis, the short tail is known as "kurtz" I believe.