Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

Going down the JoHan rabbit hole, does any one remember A new company that announced a re-issue of the Johan 73 ish olds cutlass, and then it never happened?  If it is johan tools, it will be a grand slam for Atlantis. There is a thread elsewhere in this forum about a visit to Johan, which showed the molds on shelves, so maybe we can compare this picture to that thread to see if it is possible these are Johan molds?

Like someone else guessed, maybe these are testors/hawk/Union/ etc molds . But I thought Round 2 had all the testors stuff?  It sure is fun to speculate and play detective.  The business side of the hobby is very interesting to me. 

3 minutes ago, kurth said:

Going down the JoHan rabbit hole, does any one remember A new company that announced a re-issue of the Johan 73 ish olds cutlass, and then it never happened?  If it is johan tools, it will be a grand slam for Atlantis. There is a thread elsewhere in this forum about a visit to Johan, which showed the molds on shelves, so maybe we can compare this picture to that thread to see if it is possible these are Johan molds?

Like someone else guessed, maybe these are testors/hawk/Union/ etc molds . But I thought Round 2 had all the testors stuff?  It sure is fun to speculate and play detective.  The business side of the hobby is very interesting to me. 

Testors never made anything, it was all kits that were repackaged from other manufacturers. The 90s Testors kits were tooled up by Lindberg for the Testors label and all of that along with the Hawk, Pyro & Palmer stuff that Lindberg owned is over at Round2.

16 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

There was some Johan tooling that Moebius was supposed to have...

I;d be happy if Atlantis picked up the stuff Moebius was looking at. When I got test shots and they talked about new interiors I was thrilled. Then...dropped. All the JoHan stuff that was in storage needed work.....from cleaning and tuning to half the kit missing. But some of the stuff would be GREAT to have back and COULD serve Atlantis well.....just have to see....Atlantis plays it very close!! 

30 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Testors never made anything, it was all kits that were repackaged from other manufacturers. The 90s Testors kits were tooled up by Lindberg for the Testors label and all of that along with the Hawk, Pyro & Palmer stuff that Lindberg owned is over at Round2.

Right, I meant the whole Testors  collection of molds from various sources, I should have been more clear. 

The Johan tools that are out there are the ones Okey got with his purchase of the parts hoard.  He put out a brochure of kits that would be coming, so he must’ve had those tools. Casey posted the brochure here once..

The stuff he did manage to produce was the 59 Rambler wagon with three full decal sheets that were very well done. (This is one Moebius had since Model King announced he was doing it) He also did the snap version of the Chrysler Turbine car. His version of the Plymouth police car.. there were opinions both ways that he repopped the kit or that he assembled those from the parts hoard. There was rumor he was ready to do the 59 Dodge, but it never came about.

I’m also assuming the AMX and Scrambler tools are intact since they were last done by Seville for Testors. 

The stillborn IMC had talked about the 75?  Olds. Okey’s brochure listed ratrod versions of the 1930s Mercedes and Caddy so assume some version of those exist.

Others will know more...

Edited by Tom Geiger

28 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I’m also assuming the AMX and Scrambler tools are intact since they were last done by Seville for Testors. 

IIRC, Testor also had the '71 Cuda and Comet Pro Street in that series, so if the AMX and Scrambler still exist, maybe those do too. 

6 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

IIRC, Testor also had the '71 Cuda and Comet Pro Street in that series, so if the AMX and Scrambler still exist, maybe those do too. 

Those a were all produced at the same time for testors , so one would assume they are out there and useable . 

Thanks for posting that topic Casey. That is the company I was thinking of. Too bad they ran into an issue which prevented them from releasing the kits. I would have purchased a Cutlass. 

To keep the thread on topic, I guess we will just need to wait a few days for the Atlantis announcement.

1 hour ago, keyser said:

3rd crate on left, 2068. Johan 2068 is 68 Ambassador convertible?

Dave, I remember those pics, no idea where I saw them. Cool stuff. 

Those were taken at RCHTA in Chicago. These are not mine as I was using a film SLR at the time and mine were to dark....so I use these. These tools were ready to run back then...they didn't happen for reasons we don't need to go into. 

Side not is those tools look a little small for a 1/25 body mold....we'll see. 

3 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

The Ertl agricultural tools!

I wish!  But somebody in here said the ERTL company still owns the tooling for those tractor and farm equipment kits.  They were not part of the deal when Round 2 acquired AMT, and stayed with ERTL. I'm inclined to believe that. The last sighting of those kits was in the 1990's, when AMT/ERTL re-issued the John Deere farm tractor and the Deere 310 Backhoe.  Whoever that expert was, please speak up!

Here's a LONG thread from 2009 about the mysterious Jo-Han molds.  One problem mentioned: they only fit in Jo-Han's molding machines, which were ancient and unlike any other company's machines.  Rumor says both AMT and Revell considered buying the Jo-Han molds, but decided they would be too expensive to refurbish.  The thread is full of rumor, speculation and ancient history.  And a lot of fun!