Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

4 hours ago, Mark said:

Jo-Han, like AMT and MPC, did the bulk of their business in promotional models, then made many of them available as kits.  While AMT and MPC fought over the big money promo contracts like Chevrolet, Ford, and Pontiac, Jo-Han ended up with the minor players like AMC, Cadillac, and Oldsmobile.  They did have Plymouth (but not exclusively) through 1970 and Dodge through 1964.  The items they did weren't always appreciated when they were new, but Jo-Han was the only game in town for a lot of items that will never be done by anyone else.  Their interiors, chassis, and engines weren't always the greatest, but body shapes and engraved details were always among the best.  Their classic cars and Chrysler Turbine Car kits would be considered among the best car kits even if they were brought out today.

Due to being a much smaller operation, they were probably more expensive then amt or mpc and therefore lost the bidding for promo contracts.

My prediction:

After reading every bodied wants, wishes, dreams, and fantasies of what they think/want this announcement to be I'm predicting.....

Disappointment!

I have no advance knowledge, but everyone is dreaming of the moon and no matter what is announced it won't please 99% of the modeling community. 

2 hours ago, Len Carsner said:

My prediction:

After reading every bodied wants, wishes, dreams, and fantasies of what they think/want this announcement to be I'm predicting.....

Disappointment!

I have no advance knowledge, but everyone is dreaming of the moon and no matter what is announced it won't please 99% of the modeling community. 

I agree it will not make model CAR guys happy....but bet some other fringe group will be ecstatic!!

But this was fun!!!!!

Edited by Dave Van

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

I agree it will not make model CAR guys happy....but bet some other fringe group will be ecstatic!!

But this was fun!!!!!

Speculating about tooling is akin to playing the lottery. We may never win, but the dreaming about it is most of the fun!

4 hours ago, Len Carsner said:

My prediction:

Disappointment!

Love this response.  I think its the only response on this topic that makes sense and speaks the truth.

On 7/11/2020 at 12:48 AM, RSchnell said:

According to the post on FB, Atlantis says no Monogram or Aurora molds. That narrows it down some. :)

Arrggg

Why not? I am waiting to see so many late 70s and early 80s kits from them (Monogram). 

On 7/11/2020 at 1:48 PM, Snake45 said:

I'm sure they could sell a buttload of Bantam and Fiat bodies, and the hot rod frame sets too. 

Agreed. And even though the re release of those various engine kits failed to do well ( they go fairly inexpensively on that internet auction site ) all the other stuff....the dragster chassis, the hot rod roadster frames, the bubble tops & speed equipment ( if you can even find one ) all seem to start around $30 or $40 apiece these days. They may not be desirable for modelers of contemporary subjects...but nostalgia modelers ( i.e. H.A.M.B.ers ) would definitely go for them.

28 minutes ago, PintoKING said:

So that leaves the old ITC molds, with maybe some Renwall and Advent?

They could be Ideal, but Glencoe acquired some of them.

Renwal was acquired by Revell years ago, so presumably, whichever Renwal molds Revell acquired went to Atlantis.

Advent was merely a side hustle for some Revell employee's. I think i was Mark B who mentioned it here?:

It could be almost anything, really. Only Monogram and Aurora were specifically excluded by Atlantis. Well, not the MPC '68 Coronet R/T at least. ?

Edited by Casey

44 minutes ago, Casey said:

They could be Ideal, but Glencoe acquired some of them.

Renwal was acquired by Revell years ago, so presumably, whichever Renwal molds Revell acquired went to Atlantis.

Advent was merely a side hustle for some Revell employee's. I think i was Mark B who mentioned it here?:

It could be almost anything, really. Only Monogram and Aurora were specifically excluded by Atlantis. Well, not the MPC '68 Coronet R/T at least. ?

Wouldn't that be something if one of the subjects announced to be released was in fact  a 68 Coronet R/T kit.

3 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

Speculating about tooling is akin to playing the lottery. We may never win, but the dreaming about it is most of the fun!

Exactly, it is fun to take the teaser picture and try to play detective to figure out what they acquired. It is probably what they hoped for by releasing the picture. 

It was also interesting to read about the ongoing saga of Johan, I never heard the tale of Moebius looking at Johan molds.  

14 hours ago, dbostream said:

What is it about Jo-han kits that make people excited? I am not saying there is nothing to be excited about I am just not very familiar with them. I have seen it on other forums as well not just here.

For me, their classic kits, like the 500k, are still some of the nicest car kits ever make, and the prospect, however remote that they might return to the shelves has my attention.

14 hours ago, Len Carsner said:

no matter what is announced it won't please 99% of the modeling community. 

No matter WHAT is announced by WHOM, new or old, there will be whinging about it should have been a different year, model, body style, etc.--or flat-out some other model entirely that the poster wants. (And, if the truth were known, would probably never get built if it ever were offered.) :rolleyes:

Edited by Snake45

18 hours ago, Len Carsner said:

My prediction:

Disappointment!

Depends on who's unloading this stuff.... ;)

30 minutes ago, PintoKING said:

Pyro!

I predict Pyro.

Inquiring minds want to know!   ?

Lindberg had/has quite a few of the old PYRO molds.  The only "Brass Era" mold they seem to have is the 1915 Model T Coupelet, which is a shame.  I'd love to see more of those Brass Era kits, like the Mercer Toy Tonneau and Raceabout, 1909 Cadillac and 1912 Packard touring cars, 1909 Lozier-Briarcliff etc. 

Also some of the oddball kits PYRO did in their "Table Top Series," like the '34 Plymouth 4-door sedan.  A very desirable oddball on eBay is the PYRO '52 Chevy station wagon. Even if it is a 2-door wagon, which Chevy didn't make in 1952.  

On 7/11/2020 at 6:59 PM, HomerS said:

Since Atlantis has an agreement with Tom Daniel, perhaps they got his molds from Revell.....

Unless Atlantis was being extremely particular when stating there are no Monogram nor Aurora molds, I don't think that's likely. Yes, technically if Blitz/new Revell owns the (original) Monogram kits designed by Tom Daniel, they might be considered to the Revell, but really, almost everyone knows and recognizes them as Monogram kits...but it's still a possibility. Tom did state rather emphatically that he's done with new Revell, so, maybe they decided to get rid of some things they felt they would never use again. You think the Badman kit is pricey now...

As for the ex-IMC (Industro Motive Corp, not Illinois Model Company), here was the comment a few years ago from Round2's Jamie H:

Mark Moore says:

While we’re on the subject of potential reissues, with the purchase of Lindberg/Hawk, besides the ex-IMC kits that Lindberg reissued, (Mustang II concept car, Cougar II concept car, Dodge A100, Dodge L700, flatbed, box & tanker trailers), do you have possession of any of the other old IMC tooling? There’s the VW Beetle, Lotus 38 Indy 500 winner, Ford GT40, GT40 MkII, J-Car & MkIV, Chaparral 2E & Lola T70 & 46-48, (could be build as all three years), Ford coupe & convertible kits. Besides the ones Lindberg reissued Testors reissued all but the J-Car. VW & Lola, & Union in Japan reissued those & all the Fords other than the concept cars & Lotus.

I’d love to see all of those return.

On 7/11/2020 at 6:51 PM, Mike999 said:

I wish!  But somebody in here said the ERTL company still owns the tooling for those tractor and farm equipment kits.  They were not part of the deal when Round 2 acquired AMT, and stayed with ERTL. I'm inclined to believe that.

Andy says:

Do the International 1466, Plow or Farm Wagon molds still exist ?

• 3f026dcbd498b0646901a4a49aa15a31?s=32&d=JohnG says:

If they do, Round 2 doesn’t have access to those – any Ertl AG related tools were not a part of the tooling we bought