Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

While not about the latest mould acquisition, but still relevant. From the comments in one of their latest posts.

• Is there any hope of manufacturing the old Monogram, 1/8 scale, Chevy 283 V8 engine? I first had this kit in the mid-1960s. Fantastic model. I really hope you can do it folks
    Hide or report this
  • Atlantis Toy and Hobby
    Atlantis Toy and Hobby You know we have the original molds for the red parts and black parts which are the deepest cavities. However I think it would be cool to recreate all the chrome parts. These parts were used for most of the 1/8 scale Big T cars. So we would have to make new molds for them. All the parts that came chromed in kit.

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

I see nothing wrong with discussing possibilities.  If you dont want to read them, dont click on the thread.

Agreed!!!! Besides being kinda fun.....history comes out and information spread. I see no harm. And as I like off the wall models too.....I may be happy when we do find out!! 

ALSO....why do you think Atlantis made this public......any attention is better than none!!! so we will talk!!! 

5 hours ago, hpiguy said:

Oh man, if they released those farm machinery kits, HOLY COW!

Except they don't have access to them. When Round2 bought the AMT/MPC stuff from Tomy, the Ertl stuff specifically didn't come with it because Tomy US still actively uses the Ertl brand in diecast toy and collectible tractors.  If Tomy was going to run off those Ag tools, the time to do that would have been several years ago when Heller released their new tool tractor and Revell followed suit with the Porsche Junior.  RevellAG did that Deutz tractor as well, but it was all but a wet whimper it terms of being stocked by anyone in the U.S. since it was released.

Atlantis has been very careful in what they've reissued from the Revell Scratch n Dent collection to avoid things with any significant licensing costs.  If there's anything that costs more money than a Harley-Davidson license it's John Deere.

For people like me in New Jersey the Ertl ag diecast wasn’t interesting because I had no experience with the real thing.

Years ago I worked for a company with a plant in Evansville Indiana. When you fly there from Chicago, the flight is over nothing but farmland! I went into Walmart there and they had a full aisle of this stuff up near the cash registers!  A regional thing for sure! 

Edited by Tom Geiger

11 minutes ago, horsepower said:

But didn't Round2 end up with the good Testors stuff?

They would have the stuff that Lindberg tooled up for Testors during the mid-late 90s when RPM owned both companies. Kits from the 80s that were provided by Italeri and Fujimi are retained by those original companies are were just contract runs of kits - the way Italeri did in 2019 offering trucks and trailers that were boxed as AMT kits.

Edited by niteowl7710

Didn't Monogram, produce a couple of big scale (1/10 I think) of some Pratt and Whitney aircraft engines? And Hawk made some fairly true to scale aircraft stuff, I think that they might have done one or two of those airplane powerplants too. Being an equal opportunity modeler I have a few airplane kits, it's true that most of them fly, and the majority of the plastic ones are racing planes it wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit to see some of those other kits hit the shelves. And there are some of the old Williams Brothers kits being re-released there are a LOT of model builders that would kill to see some of the kits for engine parts and guns they made for the airplane group.

1 hour ago, Daddyfink said:

So, what happened to the Press Release? It has been a week. 

They said nothing as of 0400 CDT. 

They did have a blurb about lost Aurora molds, but nothing about what is there. They did comment the 1/72 airliners were toast. The Jet Commander and Aero Commander were in there too I believe.

Whether that has bearing or not who knows. 

Jesse, love the Rodney avatar. RIP, miss the guy,

Just checked now. 1200 CDT. Nothing. Don't they know press releases on Fridays get buried? Really? Monday-Wednesday. Otherwise news cools over weekend. Eh, what do we know. 

Edited by keyser
update

2 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

So, what happened to the Press Release? It has been a week. 

They said: "Look for a press release next week!"

Technically, Saturday is still part of this week, so there have another 34 hours or so. ?