Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

On 7/11/2020 at 3:45 PM, kurth said:

Right, I meant the whole Testors  collection of molds from various sources, I should have been more clear. 

There is no Testors tooling. Anything that was in a Testors box, the tooling was owned by the original company, and it was just made for Testors. The original company that made the kit would still have the tooling.

For example, I have a Testors 1/16 Ferrari F40.....which is just a reboxed Fujimi kit....Fujimi owns and retains the molds. Testors never had them.

1 hour ago, Scott - Elm City Hobbies said:

There is no Testors tooling. Anything that was in a Testors box, the tooling was owned by the original company, and it was just made for Testors. The original company that made the kit would still have the tooling.

For example, I have a Testors 1/16 Ferrari F40.....which is just a reboxed Fujimi kit....Fujimi owns and retains the molds. Testors never had them.

I know that. I was not talking about Fujimi and Italeri kits.  The idea of Testors molds was the stuff from Hawk and IMC which testors acquired  in 1970. Testors sold Some of these kits almost continuously for years. according to this page:  https://round2corp.com/hawk-model-kits/ The Hawk molds were purchased by J.Lloyd, which was in turn purchased by Round 2.  Like I said, I should have been more specific. 

On 7/18/2020 at 8:44 AM, Snake45 said:

There was a company named LS in Japan that did a lovely line of 1:1 scale model guns in the early '70s. I think the last time I saw them was in the late '80s. They were always pretty expensive. I have one of their Walther P.38s. 

Some of the LS 1:1 scale guns were re-issued by Academy in Korea and Crown in Japan.  Here's a stack I found at a flea market in 2017, along with a couple of LS originals.  And even a Life-Life re-pop of the PYRO Navy .36, which is probably one of the molds that Atlantis has now. 

The seller called these "toy guns" and gave me a very good package deal on all of them.  I've sold most of them on eBay in the past 3 years, but kept a few like the Nambu and the Crown Model 28, which has neat box art (California Highway Patrol).

guns.jpg

Edited by Mike999
omit

It would seem a bit odd to call out “antique pistols” in the press release if you weren’t thinking of selling them again. I’ve got a pair of duelling pistols in a Pyro box and they really don’t look like something you could hold up a bank with...

best,

M.

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

Some of the LS 1:1 scale guns were re-issued by Academy in Korea and Crown in Japan.  Here's a stack I found at a flea market in 2017, along with a couple of LS originals.  And even a Life-Life re-pop of the PYRO Navy .36, which is probably one of the molds that Atlantis has now. 

The seller called these "toy guns" and gave me a very good package deal on all of them.  I've sold most of them on eBay in the past 3 years, but kept a few like the Nambu and the Crown Model 28, which has neat box art (California Highway Patrol).

I've seen the Academy P.38 and it is most definitely NOT the LS P.38, or even a very good copy of it. I've now seen a good number of Academy model airplanes that at first glance seem to be copies or reissues of Monogram or other kits, but turn out not to be at all--they're much inferior. 

I wish I had that LS M28--I have a real one. It would be cool to have a plastic one to hang on the wall. I do have one of the LS M29s, which I really should dig out and finish one of these days. 

Snake, i suspect that you are comparing Revell,or Monogram kits that were tooled in the '50s with kits of the same vehicles that were retooled much later. I bet Atlantis got the molds for the '60s era '55 Chevy with all the fiddly stuff and the '90s tools for that car went to the German group- why keep two molds when one is far superior?

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I've seen the Academy P.38 and it is most definitely NOT the LS P.38, or even a very good copy of it...

I think I have the 1:1 scale P.38 you're talking about.  It's in a box with the AHM trademark.  AHM was Associated Hobby Manufacturers, who mostly did HO-Scale trains and related items. Maybe they got the P.38 kit in a licensing deal with other stuff.  

The same Walther P.38 has turned up in boxes from Matz, Marui and Sanei.  At least I think it's the same one.  As you said, LS also did a 1:1 scale P.38 with the same quality as the rest of their kits.  

I also found the AHM Walther at a flea market.  Cheap, because it's missing the bag of springs to give it the recoil action.  I don't care about that and will only build it to display anyhow.   Making those kits look like metal is a fun challenge.

ahm-walther-38.jpg

23 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

I think I have the 1:1 scale P.38 you're talking about.  It's in a box with the AHM trademark.  AHM was Associated Hobby Manufacturers, who mostly did HO-Scale trains and related items. Maybe they got the P.38 kit in a licensing deal with other stuff.  

The same Walther P.38 has turned up in boxes from Matz, Marui and Sanei.  At least I think it's the same one.  As you said, LS also did a 1:1 scale P.38 with the same quality as the rest of their kits.  

I also found the AHM Walther at a flea market.  Cheap, because it's missing the bag of springs to give it the recoil action.  I don't care about that and will only build it to display anyhow.   Making those kits look like metal is a fun challenge.

ahm-walther-38.jpg

My built P.38 model came in a box exactly like that one (I still have it) in 1972. It cost $4.95 at a LHS, which was a VERY high kit price at that time (about like two, maybe 2.5 model cars). I found my LS at a yard sale about a decade ago, paid $25 for it and glad to get it, and I wish I'd bought the Luger the guy had too but it was gone by the time I came back for it. 

I looked for LS stuff on eBay this morning. Not much selection and OMG what prices! :blink:

P38Model.jpg.8bf3bcd568ef207840ca8e8701d9a0f5.jpg

P38Kit2.JPG.99ebeacc77c620299aa290753d9512b9.JPG

19 minutes ago, keyser said:

AHM was an importer, like MRC was for Tamiya. They had Bandai, LS, Rivarossi, etc. Lots of trains, but distributed to FW Woolworths, Kresge's, others, and hobby shops too. 

AHM, best known for their model trains in O, HO and N scales, also re-boxed Revell kits at times. I have a Revell Meter Cheater in a AHM box I bought at Woolco for 99 cents. 

1 minute ago, Dave Van said:

AHM, best known for their model trains in O, HO and N scales, also re-boxed Revell kits at times. I have a Revell Meter Cheater in a AHM box I bought at Woolco for 99 cents. 

They also sold the ROCO HO scale Minitanks. I must have had three of four dozen on those things back in the day! Prices started at 25c and the more expensive ones ran up to a buck. Many of them are still available, but the prices are MUCH higher. :blink:

1 minute ago, Snake45 said:

They also sold the ROCO HO scale Minitanks. I must have had three of four dozen on those things back in the day! Prices started at 25c and the more expensive ones ran up to a buck. Many of them are still available, but the prices are MUCH higher. :blink:

Forgot about those. Had some too, hadn't run across one in awhile. 

5 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Forgot that too. I still have a lot of HO trains from them, really higher level of detail than Mantua. 

Way off topic but fun. Like the 1/72 scale bubbletop WW2 fighter rabbit hole I'm in right now. Ki84, Spitfire MkXVI,...So many kits now. So little time and ambition. :(

We need a start new tangential thread button. 

9 minutes ago, keyser said:

Like the 1/72 scale bubbletop WW2 fighter rabbit hole I'm in right now. Ki84, Spitfire MkXVI,...So many kits now.

We could be friends. I prefer 1/48, but also do 1/72. Among my to-do projects is the FG-1 Corsair that Goodyear put a Tempest bubbletop on, and then I might do a phantom bubbletop version of the F4U-4 out of a horrible Korean kit that's otherwise worthless. Love the bubbletop Spits too, my favorite is the 22/24 but I also dig the XIV, XIV, Seafire XVII, and XVIII. 

51 minutes ago, keyser said:

We need a start new tangential thread button. 

Good idea!  Though I guess much of this is sort of on-topic for "a bunch of new/old Atlantis molds featuring Weird Old Stuff and maybe some cars."

One PYRO antique gun that was Unobtainium for decades and presumed lost:  the Blunderbuss.  Then out of nowhere Lindberg re-issued it, along with the flintlock pistols, in its "Pirates of the Caribbean" series.  Old kit dealers wept...

41 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

We could be friends. I prefer 1/48, but also do 1/72.

I tend to do bombers and multi-engine planes in 1/72, fighters in 1/48 because eyesight.  With some exceptions.  I'd love a 1/48 kit of the Brewster Buccaneer, just because it was a notorious turkey, probably the worst aircraft mass-produced in WWII.  But the only injection-molded kit is from Special Hobby in 1/72, released in 2009. It's a short-run kit but a very nice one, according to the on-line reviews.  I keep hoping Hobby Boss or Trumpeter will step up with a 1/48 Buccaneer.  But that might be a case of "be careful what you wish for." 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

CORRECT...I still have a few from Woolco! 

52 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

We could be friends. I prefer 1/48, but also do 1/72. Among my to-do projects is the FG-1 Corsair that Goodyear put a Tempest bubbletop on, and then I might do a phantom bubbletop version of the F4U-4 out of a horrible Korean kit that's otherwise worthless. Love the bubbletop Spits too, my favorite is the 22/24 but I also dig the XIV, XIV, Seafire XVII, and XVIII. 

We are friends here, I hope, I just am grumpy cuz I feel bad. 2y out from transplant, 2 bone marrows fighting still. Sorry to y'all. I do mostly 1/72 for space (and floor load), a few 1/48 for biz planes and beloved Staggerwings, and a 1/24 P51D and FW190 because, and gorgeous. Pretty cool Amodel bizjet kits out now, 1/72 Falcon 10, 100, 50EX Lear 55, G550,. OMG. I'm in heaven, all I had were the awful Mach2, the Matchbox HS125-600, and Airfix 125. And Sword Staggerwings in 1/72 so I can just pitch the Meicraft. Then the Con-Cor HO Aerotrain, Zephyr, and M10000. No layout anymore, bought them for display. 

Snake, Dave, Mike,, many more  share interests of mine, and it's great. Woolco rocked. 

I spent a lot of time and money ? in model trains, HO scale to be precise.  Had plenty of AHM, Rivarossi, Rocco minitanks, etc. The AHM stuff was usually of lower quality and earned the nickname "All Horse Manure" in our circle of modelers. The plastic may have been more detailed, but the drive mechanisms and trucks (the wheel sets and frames on the railcars) left more to be desired. Mantua put out some solid drivetrains, but the metal (at first) then plastic bodies were pretty basic and plain. Now you've bringing back memories, lol.

Jeff 

Well, my "predictions" turned out to be quite wrong! But I am happy that those old molds are gonna be reissued one day. So the Lindberg stash at RC2 has been thinned quite alot, so that means there is now (?) a possibility for a

reissue of the old Lindberg 1/32 car kits of the late 70s, such as the 1977 Granada/Monarch, Thunderbird, Cordoba, ect.....  That would be yummy!

• 2 weeks later...

I know. I am making an assumption on my part since it has been previously mentioned on this board that the Revell Mopars were lacking those very items. It shouldn't be too much of a stretch to think Atlantis will do the same for these kits. :)