Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

7 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

A little disappointed........but maybe generate cash to reissue things WE want!!! 

When I read the press release I was disappointed too .  There is some interest in the Snoopy kits but it's very very small compared to others , I don't see them generating enough cash to do anything but make Atlantis doubt reissuing other snap kits in the future .

Just now, TooOld said:

When I read the press release I was disappointed too .  There is some interest in the Snoopy kits but it's very very small compared to others , I don't see them generating enough cash to do anything but make Atlantis doubt reissuing other snap kits in the future .

The Snoopy kits will likely sell well for their production run if they come in at a reasonable MSRP. For me, they're perfect sub-$20 impulse sale items to folks who are looking for something to pass the time. I'm expecting I'll probably sell a few to my regulars for a laugh and a few to my casual browsers who will think it's cute. As a retail product, I'm honestly excited for them even if I wouldn't build them myself. 

The Snoopy stuff will sell to people that do not build on a regular basis. I think Atlantis will do OK with them and HL will get 1800 each to start. 

The other news was there is another press release for next week.....so lets hope AND let Atlantis know what you want....I have! 

Jessie, I never had the Flapjack back in the day. I'd almost be tempted if I were still buying kits to get one, as a weekend project.

The two Snoopy kits shown, were both kits I had. The Hockey Kit, need to be molded in something other than polystyrene, if the play value is to last. The brittle polystyrene on my fresh new kit in the 1970's, broke within weeks. It ruined the kit.

On the other hand, the little Sopwith Camel, was a fun kit! It flew many, many missions around the bedroom, and across the backyard searching for Fokker's. I know it strafed our poor cat, more than once!

11 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

rom FB it looks like Atlantis is doing the Monogram Peanuts  snoopy plane, hockey rink ect ...... 

Monogram 6779 Snoopyslex.jpg

e603bf62632a8585057b944527111aa9--hockey-coach-hockey-mom.jpg

I feel like Lucy just pulled the football out from in front of us, but not surprising, really. 

2 hours ago, Dave Van said:

A little disappointed........but maybe generate cash to reissue things WE want!!! 

I think the Snoopy stuff is a wise choice. No doubt the molds were in good shape and ready to run. These will sell to the Peanuts memorabilia crowd at cartoon and nostalgia conventions. Much bigger market than model cars!

The last episode of American pickers ran older segments including a visit with a Coke collector who had an entire building wall to wall of Coke memorabilia. Multiply that by thousands of collectors.

The Peanuts brand and licensing is worth billions and still sells like crazy every year. https://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-is-the-peanuts-franchise-worth-2015-11

From the article "2000:  The comic was published in 75 countries, 2,600 newspapers, and 21 languages a day. Those comics, along with merchandise and endorsement deals, raked in $1.1 billion a year."

Peanuts yearly sales are higher than the combined value of almost all the model companies currently in business. 

Just like the Coke license that is whined about on here all the time by those that really don't understand business, it's literally a license to print money for whomever holds one of the deals to use the logos on their products.

I hope it's a big success for Atlantis and kudos for them bringing back the out of the ordinary stuff constantly.

1 hour ago, hpiguy said:

The Peanuts brand and licensing is worth billions and still sells like crazy every year. 

8BFFB2D9-104B-4627-9825-DDDB2FDEB96E.jpeg.bbc0515184c0d7c3144355063bc875c3.jpeg

Amen, agreed!

When I was in high school I wanted to be a journalist. I was a stamp collector so I set out to get autographs of people involved with newspapers.  I sent out about a dozen of these “Freedom of the Press” first day covers and only got one back!  Charles M. Schultz was very nice to me. He signed it and returned it in my stamped envelope along with a handwritten note wishing me well in my journalism studies!

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Amen, agreed!

When I was in high school I wanted to be a journalist. I was a stamp collector so I set out to get autographs of people involved with newspapers.  I sent out about a dozen of these “Freedom of the Press” first day covers and only got one back!  Charles M. Schultz was very nice to me. He signed it and returned it in my stamped envelope along with a handwritten note wishing me well in my journalism studies!

What a nice guy!

6 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Amen, agreed!

That's a really cool story. Not many people would bother to sign and return that, yet alone send a personalized note to you. Congratulations, keep it always as a treasured memento. 

Jeff