Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

On 8/21/2020 at 10:52 PM, Mr mopar said:

From FB it looks like Atlantis is doing the Monogram Peanuts  snoopy plane, hockey rink ect ...... 

Monogram 6779 Snoopyslex.jpg

They me sold me on the Snoopy kits. I still have the Camel kit sitting in my display case but I had repainted it in the colors of Canada's aerobatic team, the Snowbirds. At one time I was quite active in a model club and we did yearly displays at the air base that was home to that team, Joe Cool was part of the display every year and very popular with air show fans who stopped by.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

The Mack is back! As well as that headache-inducing '57 Nomad. Might be fun to build it as a more detailed version of the Kenner Smash-up Derby car... tango_face_grin.png.b67116a68a656d9008e082603abaa0a3.png

474757241_smashupderbynomad.jpg.dd189951db55da3c8e09b927ff63649f.jpg

That's the first time I have seen the Nomad Smash-up Derby car! It always seemed that the majority of the sets had the Bug and the pickup truck. 

7 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Mooneyes dragster made from classic Custom Car Parts?  Sounds like we know where those Parts Pack moulds went.

Can't wait for vindication on this if this kit is truly made up of a few "parts packs"  like it sounds. I've been saying since Atlantis bought the R/M molds that weren't in China, that the parts pack tools were probably in the purchase. And that releasing them as kits instead of separate packs was the better idea with regards to potential sales. I guess we'll wait and see when more details arise. 

5 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Can't wait for vindication on this if this kit is truly made up of a few "parts packs"  like it sounds. I've been saying since Atlantis bought the R/M molds that weren't in China, that the parts pack tools were probably in the purchase. And that releasing them as kits instead of separate packs was the better idea with regards to potential sales. I guess we'll wait and see when more details arise. 

Here are a couple of outtake (unused) photos of the original c. 1963 MoonEyes kit from Revell, from my new book "Collecting Drag Racing Model Kits".  More detail on the original kit(s) in the book.... 

A real surprise, but a great one, to hear this kit is on the way back....TIM 

DSC 0520

DSC 0530

26 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Here are a couple of outtake (unused) photos of the original c. 1963 MoonEyes kit from Revell, from my new book "Collecting Drag Racing Model Kits".  More detail on the original kit(s) in the book.... 

A real surprise, but a great one, to hear this kit is on the way back....TIM 

Yes, it's wonderful to see that a manufacturer will be reissuing a neat ol' Revell from the '60s. I hope that sales will encourage them to acquire/release other Revell parts packs and/or combination kits as Tim shows in his post.

Be sure to buy Tim's "Collecting Drag Racing Model Kits" book -- it has lots of great stuff and some surprises, too. I found kits in there that I had never heard of. I'm still scratching my head over why a '65 Dodge Coronet was only briefly offered. To me, AWB drag versions such as Landy's Dodge would have been a "must have" kit.

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

For a while I was worried that they were just going to bring back the novelty kits, but there is some good stuff in that list.

The Mack announcement has got me wondering who ended up with the Monogram classics moulds?

Be still my beating heart that we could possibly see the Duesenbergs and Packards reissued. I would absolutely love that. 

19 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

Be still my beating heart that we could possibly see the Duesenbergs and Packards reissued. I would absolutely love that. 

You and me both.

Something to think about. All the Monogram metal kits have been rerelased in plastic, except for the 1931 Packard, and the Duesenberg boat tailed speedster.  So whoever has those moulds could do a brand new classic car kit in plastic without having to shell out a penny for new tools. The chassis looks pretty much like the 1930 Packard, and the bodies are on a separate sprue, so conceivably you could release new variants like a 1931 Packard Sport Phaeton or boat tailed roadster.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

15 minutes ago, ss2000 said:

Is it possible that the 1/16 Vega funny car could be Aurora?

Highly unlikely, 99% probability that it is the ex-Revell kit seeing as it is ready to go.

Meanwhile, folks in the know have stated that most of the Aurora 1/16 stuff wasn't in great shape when Monogram got it.

1 hour ago, ss2000 said:

Is it possible that the 1/16 Vega funny car could be Aurora?

This is discussed in detail in my new book "Collecting Drag Racing Model Kits". 

The answer is "no" but the info behind the Aurora Tools decision for scrappage is very interesting, and a bit of it is 
"new news" even among those who are fairly knowledgeable about the history of this business venture.......TIM
"

Edited by tim boyd