Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

I'd bet Atlantis will take more care in molding that Nomad kit than Revell did for all but the first issue.  Nearly every one of those kits I have had, or have seen, has the cowl drooping on one side.  I do have a mint original issue and a second one with a straight cowl, but will probably pick up one of the Atlantis kits when they turn up.

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

E7C699EB-3DD6-42BC-B498-EED69814700A.jpeg.41aac8e999c61e56eb830a78508529a1.jpeg

Isn’t this one on the list?  It’s a kit that brings strong comments about its build ability,  but also strong feelings about the nostalgia of the box art.  With the clone of the real car around, newer modelers would be familiar with the subject.

It just has to be done with the original box art!  And note that the decals for the Hollingsworth car have  never been in the kit, so that would be a big thing if they could pull it off.  And the real car has wire wheels, no doubt I’d be asking too much for them to include those in the box!

Sharp eyes may notice Bob Paeth’s autograph on my box. He was pleased to sign it for me and we had some great conversations about his involvement with the original kit!

The above may still be the best example of the greatest "box art" ever done, in my opinion. I still love it. If Atlantis has the molds for the above kit, and reissues it with that box art, I'll buy one despite how good or bad the contents are in the box. My suspicion is the kit they have and with be reissuing is the old Monogram '57 Nomad. I did build a nice one a few years back. The one with cardboard diorama gas station. It looked okay when done. But, the portions never looked quite right to me.

So, I'm hoping for the old Revell kit. Despite all the horror stories I keep hearing, I don't remember it being all that bad. I remember building the kit at least twice. The first time, was the kit with the box art above. Not the easiest kit to build. But, not horrible either. Though, if I get a chance to build another one, I will be gluing the tailgate shut, and probably the doors too. We'll see.

11 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

The above may still be the best example of the greatest "box art" ever done, in my opinion. I still love it. If Atlantis has the molds for the above kit, and reissues it with that box art, I'll buy one despite how good or bad the contents are in the box. My suspicion is the kit they have and with be reissuing is the old Monogram '57 Nomad. 

Good points Scott!  They could issue that box art with a sealed box of random sprues inside and we’d buy it!  

And there is a good chance they do have the Monogram 1/24 kit instead. Does anyone have the latest releases of either kit to see where it was molded?  

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

And there is a good chance they do have the Monogram 1/24 kit instead. Does anyone have the latest releases of either kit to see where it was molded?  

According to Google 

H1260 and H1371 are both the Revell "Nightmare Series" kits. Not the Monogram kits.

Revell held onto the ex-Monogram '56 Chevy, I'd bet they kept the other Monogram Tri-Five Chevies too.  Atlantis will probably reissue the old Revell kits.  I'll pick up a(nother) Nomad, but I already have two built '57 hardtops (one by me, and a custom bought via eBay) and a couple of others including a first issue kit, so no more of those for me...

9 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

My suspicion is the kit they have and with be reissuing is the old Monogram '57 Nomad.

It's explicitly clear to anyone who reads the list Dave Van posted earlier which kit Atlantis is reissuing. They included the original Revell kit numbers and specific prefixes for each original manufacturer on the spreadsheet list, too, so the only question is what they might use for box art on the two '57 Chevy releases.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

It's explicitly clear to anyone who reads the list Dave Van posted earlier which kit Atlantis is reissuing. They included the original Revell kit numbers and specific prefixes for each original manufacturer on the spreadsheet list, too, so the only question is what they might use for box art on the two '57 Chevy releases.

Good. I'd rather have the Revell version. Let's hope they've fix and cleaned up the molds, so kit can be at least as good as it was when it was first released back in the late 1960's. And again, put it back in a box with the original art work.

On 12/7/2020 at 1:09 AM, slusher said:

There was one released molded in blue. Was that the Monogram??

Yes, the (orignal) 1/24 Monogram '57 Nomad in a Revell labeled box...but Atlantis is reissuing the vintage Revell kit, just so there is no confusion what's coming.

monobb57nomad.jpg.68852919ba4409953f6d0fa048fe6922.jpg

On 12/9/2020 at 1:17 AM, slusher said:

Thanks, I am not familiar with the old kit. Really sounds like.a tuff build..

Opening everything, poor/sloppy hinges, poor door to body fit and generally fiddly to build. Designed and tooled along the same lines as their 55 56 and 57 Chevy opening everything kits. 

A nice model can be built of it with a bunch of work but it can be very frustrating for a young or an inexperienced builder. Definitely not a shake the box and have a completed model fall out type of kit.

• 5 months later...
On 12/6/2020 at 10:01 AM, Tom Geiger said:

E7C699EB-3DD6-42BC-B498-EED69814700A.jpeg.41aac8e999c61e56eb830a78508529a1.jpeg

Isn’t this one on the list?  It’s a kit that brings strong comments about its build ability,  but also strong feelings about the nostalgia of the box art.  With the clone of the real car around, newer modelers would be familiar with the subject.

It just has to be done with the original box art!  And note that the decals for the Hollingsworth car have  never been in the kit, so that would be a big thing if they could pull it off.  And the real car has wire wheels, no doubt I’d be asking too much for them to include those in the box!

Sharp eyes may notice Bob Paeth’s autograph on my box. He was pleased to sign it for me and we had some great conversations about his involvement with the original kit!

Tom,

We spent most of a Toledo NNL weekend with Bob several years ago. He told me how they created that box art which was pretty cool. He also signed my '57 kit box along with an original '55 Chevy box and told the story about the names on the side of that car which was hilarious. Sounds like they had a lot of fun with it back in the day.

55chevy.jpg

13 minutes ago, gui_tarzan said:

Tom,

We spent most of a Toledo NNL weekend with Bob several years ago. He told me how they created that box art which was pretty cool. He also signed my '57 kit box along with an original '55 Chevy box and told the story about the names on the side of that car which was hilarious. Sounds like they had a lot of fun with it back in the day.

Here's a topic specific to Bob Paeth art:

On 5/13/2021 at 4:07 PM, gui_tarzan said:

Tom,

55chevy.jpg

I have a photo that was used for this box art.... I'll have to dig it up one day and post it on here...