Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

I didn't want to add confusion to the Atlantis "New Releases" thread, so I'll just ask the question here.

Does anyone have any information on whether they acquired the Revell Volkswagens?

20220509_233614.png.5a486667b192516fd97258eeea72b1e3.png

20220509_233545.png.4079a770dc3b1ee6a84fcb10f2c16b3c.png

20220509_233435.png.791b85881fc7479459d2087254ce7d3f.png

20220510_082548.png.a7364dedc6202a686f4bdd0bab3ce3ab.png

20220510_082159.png.4a88501c80ef763974c4b107db8aa4a4.png

20220510_081949.png.a24cbecb63a14ec31f956b5cc6cf20a0.png

Since Revell already has newer toolings for these kits, it seems redundant that they would keep these, as they would probably never use them.

You'd have to check the most recent issue of each kit and see where it was made.  If it was made in USA, there's a chance Atlantis got it.

I did pick up the last issue of the Beetle...man, is that thing rough.  

• Like 1

My interest is mainly in the bus. Last issue I know of that one is back in the early to mid 90s, so I'm sure that was still in USA.

Multi-piece body aside, it still was a fun kit. Although, I personally wish it wasn't so customized. I would have liked it more like the 21 window it started out as, but I'd take it anyway I could get it!

1 hour ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

"WIN A CESSNA PLANE" - ??

(sorry, just caught that)

Actually that was the grand prize that Revell awarded the prize winner in the Revell sweepstakes.  All you had to do was cut the Revell brand name from the box or reasonable facsimile, put your name and address on the back, put it in the envelope and mail it.  That label with your name is what they draw among the thousands.  Only supposed to put in one label out per envelope.   It didn't matter if it was  a large or small label.   I beleive 75, 76 and 77 were the years the sweepstakes were done.  I entered the sweepstakes around 76.  I sent in alot of envelopes.  1st prize was the Cessna 150 or 152.  2nd and 3rd prizes were Harley Davidson dirt bikes, 4th prizes were a 6 pack of model kits cars , boats and planes.  5th prizes were 3 pack of model kits; a car, boat and plane. There were numerous winners for the 4th and 5th prizes.  There might have been a 6th prize, but don't remember what those were.  I was one of the 5th prize winners of the 3 pack of kits.  My box came in the mail had the 1/16 Tom Mc Ewen Army rear engine dragster, 1/32 scale Hawker Harrier jet and the Prinz Eugen battle ship model.  Still have the dragster and Eugen battle ship models that I built.  Anyone else enter this contest back then?  Would love to read what others won.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2022 at 4:08 PM, GMP440 said:

Actually that was the grand prize that Revell awarded the prize winner in the Revell sweepstakes.  All you had to do was cut the Revell brand name from the box or reasonable facsimile, put your name and address on the back, put it in the envelope and mail it.  That label with your name is what they draw among the thousands.  Only supposed to put in one label out per envelope.   It didn't matter if it was  a large or small label.   I beleive 75, 76 and 77 were the years the sweepstakes were done.  I entered the sweepstakes around 76.  I sent in alot of envelopes.  1st prize was the Cessna 150 or 152.  2nd and 3rd prizes were Harley Davidson dirt bikes, 4th prizes were a 6 pack of model kits cars , boats and planes.  5th prizes were 3 pack of model kits; a car, boat and plane. There were numerous winners for the 4th and 5th prizes.  There might have been a 6th prize, but don't remember what those were.  I was one of the 5th prize winners of the 3 pack of kits.  My box came in the mail had the 1/16 Tom Mc Ewen Army rear engine dragster, 1/32 scale Hawker Harrier jet and the Prinz Eugen battle ship model.  Still have the dragster and Eugen battle ship models that I built.  Anyone else enter this contest back then?  Would love to read what others won.

Revell had some great prize competitions at the time. My cousin entered the competitions to try and win a new Jeep CJ-7, but ended up with one of the first BMX bikes. My dad bought it from him, and gave it to me as a Christmas present. With the chrome tube frame and mag wheels, it was a stunning looking bike, but it was a HEAVY bike to pedal around (especially with only one speed available!).  

47 minutes ago, 64Comet404 said:

With the chrome tube frame and mag wheels, it was a stunning looking bike, but it was a HEAVY bike to pedal around (especially with only one speed available!).

It's still better than using a penny farthing as a BMX substitute.

21 Penny farthing...size matters ideas | penny farthing, bicycle, penny

• Haha 4

On 12/6/2020 at 11:05 AM, Mark said:

I'd bet Atlantis will take more care in molding that Nomad kit than Revell did for all but the first issue.  Nearly every one of those kits I have had, or have seen, has the cowl drooping on one side.  I do have a mint original issue and a second one with a straight cowl, but will probably pick up one of the Atlantis kits when they turn up.

I emailed Peter regarding the delay in releasing the '57 Nomad. He said the reason for the delay is that he's making changes to the tool.

I've been messing with one of the Nomad bodies; mainly, fixing it where all of them break.  Where the rear most pillars contact the roof.  They're paper thin there.  Hopefully that's what is being tended to.  The one I have is a very early kit (first issue), with one-piece vinyl tires.  Still, I'll want to pick up Atlantis' version.

Another weak point on all of the Tri-Five kits is where the rocker panel meets the rear of the door opening. It has the tendency to break if you spread the body apart when placing it on the chassis. I cement a 1.5 x .5mm strip along that area to reinforce it and reduce stress.

I haven't had that problem, not saying it doesn't exist though.  The Nomad body I have has both of the rear pillars (either side of the rear glass) broken, as well as one B-pillar.  Rest of the body is really straight except for that typical drivers' side cowl droop.  I thought this one was a bit better in that respect, but it still needs help there.  

The hardtop does actually fit together pretty well, except for the sloppy hinges and too-flat rear glass.  I don't see any mention of retooled clear parts, nor are any being offered for sale separately, so I would assume they have not been retooled.  I haven't picked up the hardtop, as I've already got more of those than I'll ever deal with in this lifetime...

692609263_57chevy1.jpg.24ce124931a62029dc2077b15e39d011.jpg301019175_57chevy2.jpg.4caae21d797e512b40a78c7d219bff94.jpg

Here's the Revell Nomad that I started in late 1980s.  Still gives me an uneasy feeling in the bottom of my stomach!

I think I'd rather work with the later date Revell 57 and combine it with their 56 Nomad and that would be easier than messing with this kit again

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wondering if there has been any new from Atlantis regarding the old Revell '57 Nomad. With the '57 Bel-Air out now, maybe we will hear some news about the Nomad.

It looks like the 1/24 Scale (ex-Monogram) '26 Mack Log Truck is almost here. It will be great to have this back, too.

Has anybody else seen any news from Atlantis about new automotive kits?

I've got one of the skips drive in releases of the 57 nomad. Its awful, the chassis is about the best part on it. the engine is wonky enough that I'm sure one half is from a 1/32 v6 cos it sure has a size discrepancy. The screen is a different height on each side, both rear quarters bow inwards, and the headlights are closer to square than round. theres lots of other problems too

8 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Wondering if there has been any new from Atlantis regarding the old Revell '57 Nomad. With the '57 Bel-Air out now, maybe we will hear some news about the Nomad.

Reply to an email I sent regarding the '57 Nomad:

On Monday, May 23, 2022, 12:16:11 PM EDT, Atlantis Information <info@atlantis-models.com> wrote:

Hello, the kit is delayed until I make some changes to the tool.
Peter

11 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I've got one of the skips drive in releases of the 57 nomad. Its awful, the chassis is about the best part on it. the engine is wonky enough that I'm sure one half is from a 1/32 v6 cos it sure has a size discrepancy. The screen is a different height on each side, both rear quarters bow inwards, and the headlights are closer to square than round. theres lots of other problems too

That is truly odd, Les. I had thought (perhaps mistakenly) that the chassis, engine, ect on that kit had come traight from the older '57 Bel-Air kit. Time to do some more looking at parts and kits.

The Skip's reissue has different (custom only) wheels as I recall.  Tires were the rubber Goodyears that were used in the stock early Eighties Firebird and Camaro kits if I remember right.

Parts like bumpers do fit between the Nomad and hardtop but aren't exactly the same.  You'd have to have both kits open next to one another to tell which is which in some cases.

Atlantis listed the Nomad in it's 2021 catalog but not in the one for 2022. It could be that the people at Atlantis found issues with the tooling and postponed the model's release until a later date after the issues could be rectified.