Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

Atlantis did get some TD....but it was stuff Revell had not made in years. Vandal, Beer Wagon, TJ Taxi, Rommel's etc, all have been run in the past few years and thus were in China. All TD tools Atlantis got were in ILL.  I hope some day Atlantis can buy the TD tools as I think Revell and TD look to be done. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Mr mopar said:

No it did not !

I wonder why Monogram et al. dropped the ball on that? I remember building a few of the originals back in the day -- built all of those Tom Daniel funny car kits back then -- and for some reason, I seem to remember not only a grille decal, but tail lamp decals as well.

Welp, I'll have to strike that one from my 'to-buy' list.

30 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I wonder why Monogram et al. dropped the ball on that? I remember building a few of the originals back in the day -- built all of those Tom Daniel funny car kits back then -- and for some reason, I seem to remember not only a grille decal, but tail lamp decals as well.

Welp, I'll have to strike that one from my 'to-buy' list.

Here's a scan of the original RRRRIP OFF decals . I have scans of all the originals and none of them have a grille or taillights .

IMG 0001 (2)

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2022 at 12:28 PM, CabDriver said:

Looks like the next 1/25 kit (according to this old press release that I forgot about) should be what Atlantis describles as a "sixties All American '23 T Roadster".  Looking forward to seeing that one!  I nearly ran out of stuff to buy from them (although I have a couple of my wishlist once they update their Amazon store again...)

CD6FFF68-3714-440E-8096-402BC4FB76E0.jpeg

Has anybody seen any more Pics of the "All American '23 T Roadster", that is supposed to be the next 'Keeler Kustom's' kit?

I've seen the one photo from a show sometime back, but nothing else. 

Has Atlantis given out any more information?

• 1 month later...

Greetings!

Thought I’d add some commentary from my years as a decal vendor covering the years of 1984-1998.  I produced water transfers primarily for The Testor Corporation and Revell, Inc. and Revell-Monogram.  Craft-House and Lindberg Models as well.

Currently, I produce the kit decals for Atlantis Models which has been an amazing opportunity to relive much of my early modeling experiences which began in 1965.

I’ve been trying to find out what has become/whatever became of the Testor molds.  I have no real response from Rustoleum.  I’ll bet there’d be interest in a rerelease of the F-19 which I printed for Testors in 1986.  Close to 1,000,000 decals in 2 scales.

I remain hopeful that some answers are still to be uncovered.

Herb Iske

On 11/25/2022 at 10:25 PM, HuskerHerb said:

Greetings!

Thought I’d add some commentary from my years as a decal vendor covering the years of 1984-1998.  I produced water transfers primarily for The Testor Corporation and Revell, Inc. and Revell-Monogram.  Craft-House and Lindberg Models as well.

Currently, I produce the kit decals for Atlantis Models which has been an amazing opportunity to relive much of my early modeling experiences which began in 1965.

I’ve been trying to find out what has become/whatever became of the Testor molds.  I have no real response from Rustoleum.  I’ll bet there’d be interest in a rerelease of the F-19 which I printed for Testors in 1986.  Close to 1,000,000 decals in 2 scales.

I remain hopeful that some answers are still to be uncovered.

Herb Iske

Testor never made or owned a single piece of tooling, everything was either run by another company or contracted out in some fashion.

The F-19 you seek was actually made by Italeri, and then reboxed by RPM in a Testor box...it was one of a slew of Italeri kits resold in the U.S. in that fashion.

On 11/25/2022 at 10:25 PM, HuskerHerb said:

Hi Herb, welcome to the forum!  Nice to see someone else here directly involved in the now-vintage model kit production.

It's been a while since I've build any of those older kits. Were those decals the ones which had rather thick clear film, and were a bit of a pain to work with?

Currently Cartograf  in Italy seems to be the top quality decal manufacturer, utilized by multiple model companies.  Their decals have very sharp images, colors are in register, and they use very thin clear film.  They are a pleasure to work with, although some modelers find them too fragile. But I guess that is the price to pay for decals which look painted-on with the clear film pretty much invisible.

On 11/27/2022 at 1:13 AM, niteowl7710 said:

Testor never made or owned a single piece of tooling, everything was either run by another company or contracted out in some fashion.

The F-19 you seek was actually made by Italeri, and then reboxed by RPM in a Testor box...it was one of a slew of Italeri kits resold in the U.S. in that fashion.

Thank you, sir I have no idea who would have the 71 Comet tooling?  Thanks for your reply…

The Comet/Maverick, Barracuda, AMX, and possibly other Jo-Han/Seville kit tools are MIA, nobody seems to know where those went.  Johan (the latter day company) sold some Comets, but those were just a case of packaging previously made product.

3 hours ago, Mark said:

The Comet/Maverick, Barracuda, AMX, and possibly other Jo-Han/Seville kit tools are MIA, nobody seems to know where those went. 

It seems very strange that those tools could have vanished so completely. Somebody has to know where they've gone. Injection Molding Models, cannot be a very large world. You'd think that there would be rumors, amongst the folks still in the industry or retired folks.