Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

59 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Sooooo, how about any Atlantis news in this Atlantis thread?

I only know Plato told the story of Atlantis around 360 B.C. The founders of Atlantis, he said, were half god and half human. They created a utopian civilization and became a great naval power. Their home was made up of concentric islands separated by wide moats and linked by a canal that penetrated to the center. The lush islands contained gold, silver, and other precious metals and supported an abundance of rare, exotic wildlife. There was a great capital city on the central island.

But they still didn't find it, so no news to report ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

No kidding. Huge vault of ex-Monogram and Revell and Aurora kits and people are hung up on "bUt Do ThEy HaVe JoHaN kItS?"

Monogram's 1/24th MG TC? The Aurora Chaparral 2? Nope. Let's keep on bleating about this handful of lost to the ages kits. 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2022 at 11:51 AM, Justin Porter said:

Which, naturally, wouldn't be Atlantis who are in the business of reissuing Aurora, Revell, and Monogram kits. Among which I'm still hoping will be some of the Monogram 1/24th classics.

I would love to see the Monogram Classics return!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Alright...so here's the next three kits being released.  Are you beside yourself with excitement? Cause these are about as interesting as discussing Jo-Han tooling, although at least they tooled up some windshield glass for the Caddy.  Still wouldn't buy any of this nonsense if it came with a $20 folded in the instructions.

H1120__02656.jpg.98a01a5803acce52c0face1a90750888.jpg

H1119_lid__46684.jpg.c95357bd3c5c099abbd4387c88bc100c.jpg

H1200__48794.jpg.225f86e42ca68a6d0f69c2f33c2d80d4.jpg

I may be the only buyer, I hope not, but I've been asking for this one. It's a Tom Daniel design so that's covered. They should have the tool.....it was part of the Unreal Roller and Groovy Grader series.......

Honest Engine...................

honesteng.jpg

Edited by Dave Van
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, larry ray said:

What kits would that be

Kits of classic cars from 1929 to 1941 that Monogram produced from the mid 60's through the 70's. Three different Duesenberg SJ's (4 if you count the metal-bodied boattail never released in plastic), two Mercedes 540k's, two 1930 Packards, two "Springfield" Rolls-Royces, a Cadillac V16, a Cord 812, and a 1941 Lincoln Continental. I've probably forgotten a few. They're incredibly nice kits that lend themselves well to building with modern tools and techniques. Gratuitous pic of my recent Mercedes 540k build below...

IMG_0408.thumb.JPG.99d4d8b637ce780e41055d6e38459a64.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I agree, the recent snap kits aren't my cup of tea but I also accept I'm not the market. These look like something that can be made to sell cheaply enough that they could be stocking stuffers for 7 year olds. Maybe for every ten they sell, one new modeler would be born. That's a great return. I would like to see some of the Aurora road race kits return but I have little expectation. The question is are there newer kits that are better detailed and easier to assemble of the same subject. As for the classics, they're great kits but if you look at the resell market, there's not a huge demand. I find that sad as they are without a doubt some of the best designed kits of all time. 

1 hour ago, larry ray said:

What kits would that beAfter 

I think this is all of them. These are the early to mid 70's issues, some of these had earlier issues in the 1960's. Pics from google. After thinking about it, if they did reissue them they would probably cost more than a good older issue version.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

g.jpg

h.jpg

i.jpg

j.jpg

k.jpg

l.jpg

• Like 4

They might carry a higher MSRP than some unloved older issues but at the same time they'd be readily available to builders who may not be familiar with them AND it'd be an opportunity for Atlantis to offer basic improvements like gauge face decals to the kits. Plus with enough success, who knows? Could you imagine the happy hot rodders if Atlantis went to the lengths to tool up a coupe body for the Lincoln?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, iBorg said:

I agree, the recent snap kits aren't my cup of tea but I also accept I'm not the market. These look like something that can be made to sell cheaply enough that they could be stocking stuffers for 7 year olds. Maybe for every ten they sell, one new modeler would be born. That's a great return. I would like to see some of the Aurora road race kits return but I have little expectation. The question is are there newer kits that are better detailed and easier to assemble of the same subject. As for the classics, they're great kits but if you look at the resell market, there's not a huge demand. I find that sad as they are without a doubt some of the best designed kits of all time. 

I have to agree on the Classics. I used to cringe whenever someone gave me one of those, because they found it cheap at a yard sale and they know I like building models. 

I am sure those tools are just fine, and I really doubt Revell AG gave them up, considering that other markets really do like that sort of stuff. 

5 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

I have to agree on the Classics. I used to cringe whenever someone gave me one of those, because they found it cheap at a yard sale and they know I like building models. 

I am sure those tools are just fine, and I really doubt Revell AG gave them up, considering that other markets really do like that sort of stuff. 

I know Revell AG released the 540k roadster as recently as 10 years ago. As much as I'd love for the Monogram classics to come back, they're so easy and relatively cheap to find on EBay or swap meets that there isn't any desperate need for them to return to the market. 

3 hours ago, Dave Van said:

I may be the only buyer, I hope not, but I've been asking for this one. It's a Tom Daniel design so that's covered. They should have the tool.....it was part of the Unreal Roller and Groovy Grader series.......

Honest Engine...................

honesteng.jpg

I have the original mint but would buy one to build , I would like to see this one come back  

bd1f10fd85581717aa129ee69a11f1c5.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you Atlantis, after all these years I've finally completed my Snoopy collection. I've had the Camel kit since its first release many moons ago but I painted it up as a Snowbird a/c and it's still in my display case after all these years.

While I have a number of those great 30's luxury cars there were some I never got so I'd love to see them all available again.

I also saw that Atlantis is going to release the Aurora Silver Knight so I hope we'll see all five of them. I built a couple of them a few year back and found them a great diversion from my usual models and a bit of a challenge in the paint department.

I hope that Atlantis does great business with all these older molds and Monogram/Revell eventually regrets getting rid of them. So many of us today are older modelers who are enjoying reliving our plastic youth and to some degree the simplicity of model building in those days.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jaymcminn said:

Kits of classic cars from 1929 to 1941 that Monogram produced from the mid 60's through the 70's. Three different Duesenberg SJ's (4 if you count the metal-bodied boattail never released in plastic), two Mercedes 540k's, two 1930 Packards, two "Springfield" Rolls-Royces, a Cadillac V16, a Cord 812, and a 1941 Lincoln Continental. I've probably forgotten a few. They're incredibly nice kits that lend themselves well to building with modern tools and techniques. Gratuitous pic of my recent Mercedes 540k build below...

IMG_0408.thumb.JPG.99d4d8b637ce780e41055d6e38459a64.JPG

I would love to see the Classic series reissued.  Outstanding Merc!

I have looked off and on for the original issue of this one (molded in tan). Dad built one when I was a kid and it would be fun to recreate it. None of the ones I have seen on the auction site have inspired me to buy however. 

EDIT: Yeah, I hate the peer pressure around here. I just bought a decent looking one on FleaBay. If it is missing parts, there seems to be quite a few junkers coming up.

b.jpg

Edited by Rodent
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

I only know Plato told the story of Atlantis around 360 B.C. The founders of Atlantis, he said, were half god and half human. They created a utopian civilization and became a great naval power. Their home was made up of concentric islands separated by wide moats and linked by a canal that penetrated to the center. The lush islands contained gold, silver, and other precious metals and supported an abundance of rare, exotic wildlife. There was a great capital city on the central island.

But they still didn't find it, so no news to report ;)

I thought it was a song by Donovan for those old enough to remember.  Hail Atlantis! Way down below the ocean where I want to be....she may be....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

I have looked off and on for the original issue of this one (molded in tan). Dad built one when I was a kid and it would be fun to recreate it. None of the ones I have seen on the auction site have inspired me to buy however. 

EDIT: Yeah, I hate the peer pressure around here. I just bought a decent looking one on FleaBay. If it is missing parts, there seems to be quite a few junkers coming up.

b.jpg

I built the yellow Duesenberg,silver Mercedes and blue Lincoln and the Cadillac is on my desk. I truly enjoy building these kits..

• Like 2

Even though I have most of the Monogram Classics series-most of them I picked up at swap meets for $10-15, I'd buy a few more if they were reissued. I've had the pleasure to work on 1:1 Packards, Lincolns of that era which makes me appreciate the kits even more. Then again I've always been a pre war car guy with some dabbling in 50s cars & C1 Corvettes.