Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Little Timmy said:

Tom Daniel's kits ...???

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE TELL ME THEY FOUND "THE RATTLER" MOLDS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please , ...???

( just lie to me, and say they still exist.)

I'd much rather they backdate it back to the original "Horn Toad" kit with the super wide tires.

Monogram 1/24 Horn Toad Show Rod By Tom Daniel, 5987

• Like 4

I would settle for that too... if I had too.

It's my understanding that the molds were altered to make the Rattler, and can't be reversed back to the Horn Toad.

I could at least use the horn toad to kitbash a rattler, but I'm not in love with those tires/wheels.

The Rattler wheels were one-of-a-kind .

ANY of the TD kits that have been missing 20 years now will be good. Dog Catcher was turned into Sand Shark, Horn Toad into Rattler, Trick T into Stinger. ANY of these I'll buy. Issue the altered version, spend a small amount to convert back to original version......then I buy again!!!! 

I've said it before.....MY pick. It uses the tires from Groovy Grader and we know Atlantis has those.....

honesteng.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Little Timmy said:

The Rattler wheels were one-of-a-kind .

They were the same wheels as on the second issue of the Horn Toad.

All nostalgic retro model kits wanted by the-toy-exchange -  http://www.cash-for-vintage-toys.co.uk/ | Plastic model kits cars, Monogram  models, Plastic model kits

Pretty sure they're Rader dragster wheels with the spokes painted,,

Just A Car Guy: 3 spoke rims, huh. Notice those are Rader, NOT Radir wheels.  Räder is a German noun, plural of Rad (wheel).

Edited by Can-Con
  • Thanks 1

The 1/25 dragster is also interesting. Revell's RE dragster is the standard of excellence for that era dragster. The MPC mold (Garlits/ Prudhomme and McEwen) are still fairly attainable. AMT's Ivo mold is in their current catalog. I believe the last time the Revell mold was available was the Jungle Jim release form five years ago or so. Hopefully Atlantis will have better quality control than Revell as some issues had huge issues with the frame being straight. Maybe we'll get a Keeling and Clayton reissue although Atlantis would really need to step up their decal game. 

10 hours ago, Mark said:

Tweedy Pie with Boss Fink hasn't been reissued, ever.  Revell reissued the Outlaw with Robbin Hood Fink, but never the other one because they were so slow to fully restore the Tweedy Pie that it was based on.

This is a Tweedy Pie with Boss Fink built by a friend of mine Mike Sharpless , original kits are very very expensive . Ed Roth fans have been wanting this for decades !

Mike Sharpless

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TooOld said:

This is a Tweedy Pie with Boss Fink built by a friend of mine Mike Sharpless , original kits are very very expensive . Ed Roth fans have been wanting this for decades !

Mike Sharpless

I too would like to see this model offered again; a cool model and, of course, Ed Roth.   A little story: years ago in 1964 or 1965, somewhere back then, a young teenager was walking through the fairgrounds in Ionia, Michigan. He saw what looked to be one big beatnik wearing a sloppy white painted t-shirt and the neatest goofy looking black hat. The guy was painting a sweatshirt for someone, talking loud, was very animated and, dang it all, he was having a great time doing his thing. The teen walked over and looked at the artwork but the cost for a painted sweatshirt was too much for the kid. Ed and I talked for awhile and I started to take my leave, when suddenly Ed looked at me and asked me what I had in mind for the painting on a white sweatshirt.  Mothers Worry with a GTO was the answer I gave him. He got out a white sweatshirt, asked me if I would mind dusting off his air compressor, threw me a rag and started using his airbrush.  I told him I could not afford the sweatshirt and he just kept being Ed Roth while he worked.  The sweatshirt was something to behold when he finished the artwork, talked cars with me for a few minutes...and then handed me the sweatshirt. For free!!  He wouldn't take any money for it. I was totally floored by this man's thoughts and generous manner towards a boy who didn't have much back then. I wore that sweatshirt for a long time until it finally fell apart. And years later I had the good fortune to meet a man while flying RC model aircraft, who is now a very good friend, who knew Ed Roth in California as a friend and fellow hot rodder. When I told him about my experience with Ed Roth as a young teenager he got a huge smile on his face and told me, "That was Ed as I remember him."  

Joe

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Mark said:

Tweedy Pie with Boss Fink hasn't been reissued, ever.  Revell reissued the Outlaw with Robbin Hood Fink, but never the other one because they were so slow to fully restore the Tweedy Pie that it was based on.

According to the Atlantis FB page...It's coming!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd love to see Daniel's Mojave Mule (Chevy LUV), S'cool Bus, and Vandal. 

Yes, I realise that the LUV was reissued recently (in different guise), and the bus and the van have been reissued relatively recently (to me, 10 years ago is recent), but I'd passed on them for whatever reasons. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I'd love to see Daniel's Mojave Mule (Chevy LUV), S'cool Bus, and Vandal. 

Yes, I realise that the LUV was reissued recently (in different guise), and the bus and the van have been reissued relatively recently (to me, 10 years ago is recent), but I'd passed on them for whatever reasons. 

None of that stuff is coming back unless TD finally kisses and makes up with Revell.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

None of that stuff is coming back unless TD finally kisses and makes up with Revell.

YEP! All three of those tools are in Revell's vault. I got the newer version of the LUV and IIRC it was made in Turkey so Atlantis can't do it. Vandal was last in China.   Nice if TD and Revell made up.....but I hear Tom never will. 

2 hours ago, Dave Van said:

YEP! All three of those tools are in Revell's vault. I got the newer version of the LUV and IIRC it was made in Turkey so Atlantis can't do it. Vandal was last in China.   Nice if TD and Revell made up.....but I hear Tom never will. 

Turkey? That tooling never left Illinois. It was run out at Chicago Heights this last time and had a huge Made in the USA sticker on it.

8 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Turkey? That tooling never left Illinois. It was run out at Chicago Heights this last time and had a huge Made in the USA sticker on it.

You are correct.....PARTS of the kit came from Turkey. Either way.....Revell/RoG are currently using the tooling.....so ATLANTIS does not have it. 

13 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

You are correct.....PARTS of the kit came from Turkey. Either way.....Revell/RoG are currently using the tooling.....so ATLANTIS does not have it. 

I don't see anything marked Turkey, but it says on the side of the box 'Box printed in Poland', 'Decals printed in Italy', 'Tires made in China', 'Plastic Parts molded in USA', 'Packaged in USA'....multi-national supply chain.