Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

They really need to bring back their 392 Hemi and small block Chevy for these drag type cars they are doing. They were used WAY more than Cadillac and Ford engines. Why not just give us the engine from the Mooneyes dragster with some options or the Miss Deal Hemi? These "Keeler's Kustoms" are a conglomeration of parts packs anyway. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 11:06 AM, Mark said:

Atlantis isn't going to change the shape of the Nomad body, as that would necessitate tooling a new one.  They're just not going to do that, as their niche is bringing back older kits with minor improvements.

I'm betting they are working on minor alterations to the body tooling, to strengthen certain areas like the rear roof pillars, so the kit can be packed without anything breaking.  Many of the Revell opening-doors Nomad kits I have run across over the years, even just-opened kits, have had broken rear roof pillars and warped bodies.

Tho I'm not familiar with previous Atlantis tooling, I wonder if perhaps they are adding temporary roof supports? That would add strength for shipping purposes.

Roof supports are what I'm thinking. The pillars at the rear (on either side of the rear glass) are paper thin on all of the Nomad bodies that I have seen. The ex-Revell Nomad body lacks the section below the tailgate (it's a separate piece) so the quarter panels are flapping in the breeze when the body is pulled out of the tool after being molded. Other manufacturers add bracing "after the fact", so Atlantis can do that in this case.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

For fans of funny cars, Atlantis has just posted images that should be VERY interesting with the following text. "Going through these mold conversions is a lot of detective work. Lots of cool finds!"

No photo description available.

I may be way off base, but I believe these to be the ex-Monogram Tempo and Firebird funnies. 

44 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

For fans of funny cars, Atlantis has just posted images that should be VERY interesting with the following text. "Going through these mold conversions is a lot of detective work. Lots of cool finds!"

I may be way off base, but I believe these to be the ex-Monogram Tempo and Firebird funnies. 

I'd say the Ford body is the Fox Mustang. 

1985 Ford Mustang Funny Car '7-Eleven/Chief' (1/24) (fs)

• Like 3

I'm not an expert on these Revell / Monogram funny cars, but do they share parts with the 57 chevy funny car that Atlantis already reissued?  |

They'd be relatively easy kits to release if they do - new bodies packaged with the funny car tooling they have already with the Chevy kit...

I watched a video of the folks from Atlantis at a model show in Wayne NJ. last month where test shots of three different models that some say that one of them was the Tom Daniels Poison Pinto. I checked and it sure looks like it. The video is before the thread showing the funny car molds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg Myers said:

Think it's time for a new Title.  This one's fast becoming a dumping spot for just about everything 

We're still talking Atlantis and tooling.....so not sure I see what you are saying?? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nice. I'd be in for any of these, especially the oddball Tempo, as I missed em all the first time around.

While I did build the awesome Sentry Olds many years later, would love to go back in time to these earlier bodies.

Would be most excellent if they discovered the missing tinwork from the 1/32 funny cars released last year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stef said:

Nice. I'd be in for any of these, especially the oddball Tempo, as I missed em all the first time around.

While I did build the awesome Sentry Olds many years later, would love to go back in time to these earlier bodies.

Would be most excellent if they discovered the missing tinwork from the 1/32 funny cars released last year.

Or just 3D cloned it.  

6 hours ago, Stef said:

There was never any tin work in the original Tom Daniel designed Monogram 1/32 funny cars. 

Edited by magicmustang

15 hours ago, magicmustang said:

There was never any tin work in the original Tom Daniel designed Monogram 1/32 funny cars. 

Yes there was in the first original kits front tin and a scoop . 

080bd502c28deabacb04afe38dec39f5.jpg

Edited by Mr mopar
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 9:04 AM, Stef said:

I like funny cars but i like 1/24 or 1/25.  What size was the Tempo ?

• Like 1

Anyone know how similar/different the chassis are amongst Monogram's 1/24 funny cars?

Not seeing any differences between these older kits, the later Oldsmobile-bodied cars (Otter Pops, Sentry, Raybestos, Castrol, McDonalds), or the Mongoose 57 Chevy that Atlantis bought. All 1/24.

If the chassis is universal, chances are really good we can eventually see all of these come back to life.

10 hours ago, Stef said:

Anyone know how similar/different the chassis are amongst Monogram's 1/24 funny cars?

Not seeing any differences between these older kits, the later Oldsmobile-bodied cars (Otter Pops, Sentry, Raybestos, Castrol, McDonalds), or the Mongoose 57 Chevy that Atlantis bought. All 1/24.

If the chassis is universal, chances are really good we can eventually see all of these come back to life.

When Revell took over they added an electronics box and dual distributor 16 plug valve covers starting with the Olds FC. They did do some upgrades on the engine in the firebird kits. New blower hat, blower blanket and blower straps. Also a new rear axle.

Edited by magicmustang
  • Like 2