Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960s GMC Cabover

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2020 at 7:36 AM, Jim B said:

I've never seen one in 1/25 scale.  Looks a lot like the Budd cab that ford used on the C-Series & Mack used on the N-Series.

Yea looks similar to the Budd cab that Ford and Mack N used but it's not.  They're made by the Cab Company for GM in 40, 60, 70 and 80 series.  We had a '63 Chevy Spartan 80 with a 409.  Last year for the 4 headlights in that cab.  Here's info and changes through the years on this cab.

https://imcdb.kelcommunity.be/forum_topic-7960-60305-Chevrolet_Tilt_Cab_and_Steel_Tilt_Cab__GMC_Steel_Tilt_Cab.html

Pumper 4.jpg

• 9 months later...

I mentioned this GMC cab on my very first post on the Resin Wishlist thread. Sad AMT didn't cover it back it the day when the Ford tilt came out. IMO, there is a void in interest in covering it in resin is because it is believed people don't want to build this class of vehicle. I  strongly disagree, 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 10:30 PM, leafsprings said:

I mentioned this GMC cab on my very first post on the Resin Wishlist thread. Sad AMT didn't cover it back it the day when the Ford tilt came out. IMO, there is a void in interest in covering it in resin is because it is believed people don't want to build this class of vehicle. I  strongly disagree, 

As do I, I build fire apparatus and I have many pics of rigs with this cab. I have 2 of Rookie Resin's V-6s that I want to make into one of the GMC V-12s. RR even 3D printed some V-12 fender emblems for me. Now I just need the cab....

On 7/16/2021 at 11:08 AM, 1st 700 Quad said:

I build fire apparatus and I have many pics of rigs with this cab. 

Here is another photo for you. L 7000  V 12 models had wider fenders  also. Neo does one in 1/64 diecast

IMG_1380.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

s-l1600 (60).jpg

Edited by leafsprings

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2021 at 8:05 PM, leafsprings said:

L 7000  V 12 models had wider fenders  also.

That's part of the problem. Should someone undertake mastering an all new cab, someone is inevitably going to drop a "I wish you had done the L7000 version with different fenders" or "why couldn't it have been a '65 with the turn signals next to the grille?!!" or....you get the idea. The number of people who would buy one and modify the cab as needed is likely not large enough to justify the effort.

Maybe this is the case of a few people getting together, pooling $100 each, and having someone master and cast it on a very limited basis.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

That's part of the problem. Should someone undertake mastering an all new cab, someone is inevitably going to drop a "I wish you had done the L7000 version with different fenders" or "why couldn't it have been a '65 with the turn signals next to the grille?!!" or....you get the idea. The number of people who would buy one and modify the cab as needed is likely not large enough to justify the effort.

Maybe this is the case of a few people getting together, pooling $100 each, and having someone master and cast it on a very limited basis.

I bet you'd be surprised at how popular a cab this would be. Might have to tackle it myself.

I agree,  there would be a market for the GMC and many other ignored subjects ( see my " Resin Wishlist" thread for an idea ) now that there are plenty affordable  AMT re issues available for donor chassis.  I wouldn't make this claim  a few years back when original AMT kits were very pricey. I have bought many nice resin pieces from AITM, Motor City, Modelhaus ( no longer ) , etc. and plan on purchasing a couple of Repstock's  mid 70's Dodge D 700 when they become available too!

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 7:13 AM, Casey said:

Should someone undertake mastering an all new cab, someone is inevitably going to drop a "I wish you had done the L7000 version with different fenders" or "why couldn't it have been a '65 with the turn signals next to the grille?!!" or....you get the idea. 

I understand exactly. I said the same thing about the modelhaus Chevy 2 ton. There was a heavier duty version with the wider fenders like this photo. I'm in on sharing the expense for new subjects.

IMG_5359.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

On 7/30/2021 at 10:16 PM, leafsprings said:

I understand exactly. I said the same thing about the modelhaus Chevy 2 ton. There was a heavier duty version with the wider fenders like this photo. I'm in on sharing the expense for new subjects.

IMG_5359.JPG

I need that one on the right.......

On 8/1/2021 at 8:34 PM, 1972coronet said:

Potentially silly --albeit , related-- question : What happened to Rookie Resins  ? He made some awesome Jimmy items !  Apparently , I'd waited for too long to purchase one of his GMC V6 engines...

He's taking time off for family. Says he will be back.

20 hours ago, towman1271 said:

I would love to see this cab too. Our Fire co had a 73 Chevy I would love to replicate.

33958_375043495880688_1014480333_n.jpg

I have 2 of the Rookie Resin V-6 truck engines that I want to make into a GMC 702 c.i. V-12 that powered quite a few fire engines on this chassis. I too build fire apparatus.

On 8/2/2021 at 8:58 PM, 1st 700 Quad said:

I need that one on the right.......

'63-'66 C80's  got the wider front fenders when ordered with the 11K front axle. Earlier '60-'62 C50-80's all came with the wider front fenders.  Unfortunately,  Modelhaus never covered the '60-'62 2 ton.

Edited by leafsprings

2 hours ago, leafsprings said:

'63-'66 C80's  got the wider front fenders when ordered with the 11K front axle. Earlier '60-'62 C50-80's all came with the wider front fenders.  Unfortunately,  Modelhaus never covered the '60-'62 2 ton.

Well, it wouldn't matter if he did, if one ever became available I'd have to mortgage the house to be able to buy it.