Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage Garrett Steam Roller

I bought this old Bandai 1/16 Garrett steam roller kit at a toy show (Toronto??) well over 20 years ago and just recently, with eastern Canada's current heatwave, I finally got around to painting and building it. Its stable-mate is the similar Garrett 'Showman's Engine' which I built over 40years ago.
I've painted everything, but built it box-stock, as you might expect with a subject that isn't mainstream. Bandai's mold quality was outstanding and even the decals which have been in the box for probably well over 40 years were in perfect condition. I'll probably fiddle with a few things over the next few days, but for all intent and purpose, it's now complete.

1-P7110414.JPG

1-P7110415.JPG

1-P7110425.JPG

1-P7110426.JPG

Below:   Shown with the Bandai/Entex Garrett 'Showman's Engine' (which I built over 40 years ago).
Showman's Engines were typically used by travelling circus companies and used as prime movers as well as the generators for electric lighting, etc. They were entertaining themselves with what they called an 'exciter' causing the colored light-bulbs surrounding the top to be flashing on and off sequentially.

1-P7110412.JPG

1-P7110413.JPG

1-P7110422.JPG

Edited by traditional

Wow!!! they both look fantastic. both of those kits would be worth a small fortune over in Britain as there is a massive amount of interest in those old machines, I used to go to steam shows nearly every weekend through the summer, the Garrett that you built first would be classed as a Showmans Tractor in Britain and was used to power the smaller rides at the fairground and then used to pull the dismantled ride to the next fair, Tom Varley rescued and restored many steam engines and steam wagons (trucks) from the early 60s over the years.

The 'exciter' was actually a second smaller dynamo nearly always located between the chimney and the piston block and was used with the main dynamo to give enough power to get the bigger rides moving, they were only on the biggest Showmans Engines, hope this bit of information was of interest I didn't mean to get into a lecture,  great work on both models!!!

SAM_0204.JPG

SAM_0211.JPG

Very cool, and nice workmanship!  I'm familiar with Bandai 1/48 WW2 vehicles, built many as a teen, cost about $1.50 - $2 at Kmart.  So know the high quality.  Prescott Antique Auto Club has some steam enthusiasts, but not this big.

These are beautiful models Cliff - a real feast for the eyes! Your attention to detail is amazing. 

I remember seeing tractors like these at a nearby steam show. They really are something to see. In those days they certainly went out of their way to make these machines look nice. They are rolling pieces of art. 

Eric