Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello Everyone 

Thought i would start a post with one of my current builds. The Revell Peterbuilt 359.  I like the thought of a very reasonably priced kit that is readily available and can be built by many skill levels and with out a doubt this kit defiantly fits the bill. I was able to capitalize on a purchase from my local Michaels Craft Store and with a 40 percent off coupon. I downloaded this on my phone and i was off to the races with this build for just over the 20 dollar mark with tax. I was weary at first of how much flash and dry fitting i would have to do to accomplish this build but was pleasantly surprised after breaking the shrink wrap and taking the trees out of bags they looked great! Detail is not to shabby i was happy to see that with some highlighting techniques and slight washing parts look very realistic and most details are present accounted for.  Now i am accustom to building slightly more difficult kits (AMT/ERTL) where parts counts can be absorbent and even painstaking to put together so this was a treat to build. This kit was almost snap together but i still made sure to practice dry fitting before any glue was used and had great results. With this kit my ambitions are to use it as my test bed for some products i am designing and printing so i wanted to make sure that my parts would be dead on and perfect for customers that are building there own versions. I decided that there was indeed a few things that i did not like about this kit and the first thing being attachment from cab to chassis. There are these ugly tabs on the back of the sleeper that had to be dealt with also in my view i defiantly like the older style round double headlights rather then the rectangle type that this kit is molded with so this will be one other change that will have to be made. Lastly i figured i would concentrate on only adding small details and accessories that a 1:1 scale truck would have in the real world and try not to go over the top on this one. Thank you for taking a look and hope you enjoy i will post progress until this project is complete and then start on another for you to follow.    

Cheer,  Miniare Deluxe                                                                           

I am sure to get beat up on this a bit painting the old cat a color not yellow can get you hung in some places but I decided to be a bit different and risk it. I always liked this color and a spray can of it has been calling my name for quite some time so apologies to purists. Also you might notice I added some detail chicken lights that will sit under cab and just above steps of cab.

4272F13D-D0E3-4929-89C2-602C0378C9FB.jpeg

BE6915D6-AFBE-4D1F-A3CF-34997BCD851A.jpeg

Cab and sleeper paint is complete. Still to this day after many clean builds paint is the most nerve racking process for myself. I can say that many a clean build has been ruined by carelessness or trying to rush the process. Words of wisdom take your time let it dry and be clean the end results are worth it.

33E6DE4B-67CC-4F12-94B2-AE6FD6BFAB26.jpeg

ACA5A1FC-FD39-4815-88A5-62A673C17C18.jpeg

Alright I definitely am super happy the way this build is going! So I have decided today to tackle one of the not so good parts of this model kit I have discussed earlier. When you are at final stages of marrying the cab/sleeper you will notice two tabs on rear of sleeper area for myself these are ugly and ruin some of the realism of this kit. My solution has drawn me to a approach to cover this area completely with a headache rack. This is a product I have been refining for customers so it is time to put it to the true test and results were dramatic to say the least and hope you can see my vision and hopefully might consider getting one of these for your next project. Next I will be taking on the task of final chrome parts and headlight modification. 

D9FF49C7-CA8E-4F41-A015-00115AA2A1B1.jpeg

Thank you  you to all so much for the positive comments!! WOW Bill those headache racks are beautiful

and the level of detail and cleanliness is what i strive for on my own builds! Also thanks so much for your interest in the headache racks i am producing

but i need to make sure i am following forum rules before i am able to give a live link or info to these items so you may purchase them. I have started a thread on this etiquette

and will hopefully have an answer soon.        

Today was a great day on the Peterbuilt project! I was able to get a final design done on original style double round headlights and final design on cattle guard/bumper guard. The biggest obstacle I found for bumper guard was on a 1:1 scale this guard would swing down to almost a 90 degree angle to allow the hood to open completely. In scale terms this is very possible to replicate but at a stand point of design ,difficulty for new builders and a reasonable price it is not effective for what I am trying to produce. So I put a few ideas to the test and was able to devise a solution. I used a magnetism and yes it worked perfectly! This way you are able to display your beautiful detailed engine when you want and with hood closed add the bumper guard Easily when you want that look. 
The headlights were not to difficult just was quite a bit of researching pictures and test prints for size.  In my travels across the forum I had found a very interesting idea of using google eye for the lenses and is such a great idea I am going to give it a shot on next set I make. For now I painted and used micro kristal clear and was not quite dry when picture was taking so apologies if they do not look quite right. Getting closer to finishing and am very excited for the next build!

964C36A4-1DEC-415F-8E84-3DADA551A947.jpeg

Edited by MINIARE DELUXE
Grammar

11 hours ago, Biggu said:

I'd be interested in the headache racks too......  love these builds.....

Question... Why do they call those headache racks???? 

I'm a rookie model builder ? and just bought a few big rig kits not long ago.....

Edited by Deuces ll

In the 1:1 world I believe the headache rack was designed so if some how a load became unsecured and came forward it would prevent damage to truck and also would not kill driver of truck in worst cases. My Dad was a driver for quite some time and had done a lot of flatbed transport of many different types of freight. He had told me of a instance of a driver working for his company In Chicago Hauling steel beams fell asleep for just a moment but enough time and woke to see traffic completely stopped on the highway in front of him. Of course he jammed on the brakes and load shifted and slid forward with much force. Dad said the headache rack and rear of truck looked like a coke can smashed and crumpled but driver made it out safe and no one else was hurt so I guess it did it’s job.

31 minutes ago, Deuces ll said:

Question... Why do they call those headache racks???? 

I'm a rookie model builder ? and just bought a few big rig kits not long ago.....

56 minutes ago, MINIARE DELUXE said:

In the 1:1 world I believe the headache rack was designed so if some how a load became unsecured and came forward it would prevent damage to truck and also would not kill driver of truck in worst cases. My Dad was a driver for quite some time and had done a lot of flatbed transport of many different types of freight. He had told me of a instance of a driver working for his company In Chicago Hauling steel beams fell asleep for just a moment but enough time and woke to see traffic completely stopped on the highway in front of him. Of course he jammed on the brakes and load shifted and slid forward with much force. Dad said the headache rack and rear of truck looked like a coke can smashed and crumpled but driver made it out safe and no one else was hurt so I guess it did it’s job.

That's exactly correct......

They call them “Headache Racks” because back before they used ratchet straps they used chains and the Flat Bed Haulers would hang there chains and binders on these racks and would always be clanging and rattling and making noise going down the road that’s why they call them headache racks my dad was a  Flat Bed Hauler for a while back in 1972  

Edited by Pete68

On 7/24/2020 at 8:34 PM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Looks great! I picked up one of your headache racks and it looks great! I'll be using it on something soon I hope.

Thanks so much Brian really appreciate your support and can’t wait to see what truck you choose to put it on! I was able to step up to next level and order a resin setup and am very excited to see what I can design and produce. As always I am all ears when it comes to parts and accessories that everyone would like to see made! Thank you again and will watching out for your next build.

Edited by MINIARE DELUXE

Hello everyone 

Progress has been a bit slow on the 359 been putting quite a bit of time into learning and setup of a new resin printer and new designs but I was able to take a few new beauty shots and have a lot of the final parts chromed and ready for final assembly. I have been working on a new Special Deluxe version of my opening door head rack and will most likely mount my prototype to this truck to show what final product will look like. I also have a few new special parts in the works to add just a bit more detail to the final build. Keep your eyes peeled this one’s almost ready to hit the open road! 

6D6A75DE-3DE0-4B8D-A396-A42FA760A4CA.jpeg

7B38845E-7EA7-4301-8771-9C512D71B12C.jpeg

FB0CA009-5698-48BB-B4E8-296087F31084.jpeg

1562EC73-D901-431A-A41E-B5386FEE9977.jpeg