Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Buick Electra

doorsovdoon

Just finished the AMT Buick Electra. Very nice kit to build, apart from the body being from a very badly worn out mould, it went together ok. Paint was a bit of a headache because the colour I used has a bit lilac in it, so finding something that matched the interior was a bit of an experiment with different colours before finally settling on a shade similar to that of the exterior. I accidentally polished through the paint in some high spot areas and when I went to get some paint to touch them up I found the paint is no longer available. Luckily, the colour of the interior is close enough to hide them, though you might be able to see it around the headlights. I'm useless at silver foiling so was stuck with the chrome pen to do the trim which isn't great but better than my foiling, trust me, lol! The only mod I made was a gear selector window for the steering column. Enjoy the pictures:)

20200714_125544.JPG

20200714_125623.JPG

Thanks, guys. Here's the little trophy car that came with the kit, it's unbelievably tiny and you have to build the lower half yourself! There's also an elephant and car jack in the kit, I just had to paint them, lol. 

20200714_150624.JPG

20200714_150717.JPG

20200714_150734.JPG

Edited by doorsovdoon

Looks great and I love the accessories! A bunch of AMT kits tooled in that era had stuffed animal mascots.

6B030948-5B61-4F9E-902F-2449B0A57570.jpeg.b489453a0e64a7babbcd17bef6ca447e.jpeg

I believe the 57 Chevy had this lizard guy. I put it on rear shelf of a 51 Chevy custom.

21DB8C03-3C15-4B78-87B8-0B544C4794AF.jpeg.90926da14014b5e91ce65d0e3261214d.jpeg

Doggie was in 57 Ford, I used him here to strategically cover a tire burn on the seat of this original old custom.

There are others too..  fun to collect and use

haha, the lizard is random! Yeah, I love these little extra accessories they include, they need to do more of that stuff. It's always fun and it's something to do when the paint is drying on the main build.

Edited by doorsovdoon

16 minutes ago, espo said:

Great looking build. I watched you over come the body issues, and you really can't tell looking at it now. I also like the colors you finalized for the interior. 

Thanks, Dave. Yeah, the body needed a fair amount of shaving. I managed to re-shape the peaks on the wings but they're not as sharp as they should be, but yes, it's barely noticeable. It was Steve that suggested the interior would look good in a colour similar to the body rather than black, he was right:)