Model Cars Magazine Forum

C5 Monoposto / Speedster

Scale-Master

This was the donor car for a previous project and it gave up its LS engine, drivetrain and suspension.  It is also the model I used to fit the decals for the '98 Pace Car decals for Revell kit to and I didn't put it back in the box properly back then so one of the A pillars was bent from being stored like that for 22 years.  (Part of why it was a donor…)  Repairable?   Easily, but this should be more fun.

The first step was to make a hard tonneau cover for the right side.  Sheet plastic was cut and formed to fit. 

hf0iBdD.jpg

The sculpted part of the convertible cover on the Corvette body was smoothed out and a fairing was added on the driver's side.   Some panel lines were filled and part of the trunk line was relocated.  I wanted to keep the passenger side door lines.

rljKkX7.jpg

The A pillars were cut down to match the reshaped windshield and the wipers were removed from the cowl.

6iuOmVw.jpg

cONyMNJ.jpg

Hp1RL6r.jpg

Cool idea. Love the windshield.  I think you should fill the gas filler door and do a flip top filler on top of the driver's rear fender next to where the fairing fades out.

I'll definitely be watching this one.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Great concept Mark! Your bodywork is very impressive, especially the fit of the tonneau cover. In shaping the piece did you use heat and approximately how thick was the plastic? Also how did you cut the clear palstic?

Cheers Misha

An interesting transformation. In the real world they would have removed the light covers replacing them with clear ones or or raised the fixed and fixed the lens to improve the speedster look. This is going to be an interesting build to follow. Good luck with it.

Thanks guys.

The tonneau cover is made from 0.035 sheet plastic for the main part and where the curvature and contours are an added piece of 0.045  with a wedge under it was used.  No heat, just sanding to shape.

The windshield was cut with an X-Acto knife.

I've seen plenty of "speedsterized" cars.   Clear headlights are but one option.  Lot's of room for customizing...

Since all the interior parts (except the door panels and tub) were used elsewhere, I started to fabricate the front of the console and a receiver for the steering column and dash.

b8PYVOO.jpg

I might take a little more off the back, or not…

cKcVnT6.jpg

Gotta finish both sides.  It's made up of five pieces.

ZF6rY0l.jpg