Model Cars Magazine Forum

The ‘other’ mag is stopping publication

On 7/31/2020 at 2:13 PM, GeeBee said:

There isn't a subscription option for Model Car Builder, but you either purchase a hard copy, digital copy, or both, you can get the magazine sent to a uk address ,postage is just over $6 

https://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/1812648

There IS a subscription option, but it is through a different service, https://www.magzter.com

22 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Not sure how a magazine will survive and attract new readers without any distribution in place. Hobby shops? Not sure how many are left in North Carolina where I live, none in the Charlotte area for sure. 

A little O/T but on the subject of the state of the hobby. 

Why does such a large region as the Charlotte area not have a hobby shop??? At one time there were a number of good shops. Action, Modelers, Science Hobby, Hobbytown even our shop Deb's Model Cars. Gastonia had 2 shops, Rock Hill hobby shop just closed. Monroe had a shop. The Charlotte region has a much higher than average income with a lot of growth. Just this morning Charlotte was list as one of 4 cities in the USA that are still experiencing big growth. 

If we could figure out why a region like Charlotte does not support model building we could help the hobby overall. 

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

A little O/T but on the subject of the state of the hobby. 

Why does such a large region as the Charlotte area not have a hobby shop??? At one time there were a number of good shops. Action, Modelers, Science Hobby, Hobbytown even our shop Deb's Model Cars. Gastonia had 2 shops, Rock Hill hobby shop just closed. Monroe had a shop. The Charlotte region has a much higher than average income with a lot of growth. Just this morning Charlotte was list as one of 4 cities in the USA that are still experiencing big growth. 

If we could figure out why a region like Charlotte does not support model building we could help the hobby overall. 

There's plenty of model builders in the area, all one has to do is look at the shelves at HL and see the movement of models and supplies. Go to a local show and meet fellow modelers and they say the same thing.

The reason why a hobby shop struggles is pretty evident- online competition. I have bought more models and supplies online this year than I have in person. Need some paint? Click on the computer and check a couple of sources and in less time than it took to drive to HL to see if they MIGHT have what I am looking for, I ordered it and will have it in a couple of days. New releases? I can hope that HL will have them or I can order online and have them delivered to my door without guessing. Sure, I might pay a few bucks more because I didn't use my 40% off coupon, but then again I didn't waste time and money driving to the store, risk catching the Rona and being disappointed at the kit not being there.

The other hurdle facing a brick and mortar store is the costs associated with running a retail operation. If you are in a strip mall, likely have certain hours and days you have to be open. Might have to participate in a "Sale" where you discount your merchandise. Need to hire help? Try finding competent help for less than $12 per hour around here. Rent and utilities? Not cheap. Discount the kits and you still can't compete with HL or Michaels' coupons. Add in that model builders are cheap bastards and it's painfully clear.

Online is part of it....but if Charlotte had a good model hobby shop with good selection and prices would you not turn there first? Kinda chicken egg thing.

Deb's closed because Larry passed unexpectedly of a heart attack and things changed with me. Deb did not want to carry on. But the biz was doing well. The thing I do not understand is Charlotte is much larger and more money today than in 1990 when it supported so many shops. Brick retail is changing for sure.......but my hobby shop offers good selection and prices.....but what keeps him going in a rather poor, income wise, area is service and he has craft items and hobby items. People still come....even after 2 Hobby Lobby opened within 15 miles of him. 

Charlotte is about the size of Columbus Ohio and they have 4 GREAT shops that are doing well......along with Hobby Lobby and online.  If the reason Charlotte has zero shops was pinned down  it could shine a light on many other places. Thx

There used to be 5 hobby shops in my town up until the late 90s. 2 catered heavily to the model railroad group, but still had a good selection of kits. Now there are none and only HL. My "local" LHS is 50 miles away and even he is going more towards R/C cars and so forth. I have pretty much consigned myself to ebay and online vendors.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 10:09 AM, High octane said:

I too am anxious to see the combined FSM and SA and will draw my conclusion after receiving a couple of issues.

FSM sent me an email declaring "Its a Bearcat Build-off!" Did some one say Stutz? No, not at FSM, not that I could tell. Just airplanes. The only car on the cover is a battle damaged VW. Not very encouraging?

12 minutes ago, #1 model citizen said:

FSM sent me an email declaring "Its a Bearcat Build-off!" Did some one say Stutz? No, not at FSM, not that I could tell. Just airplanes. The only car on the cover is a battle damaged VW. Not very encouraging?

I've been looking forward to that issue. A net friend of mine is building one of the Bearcats in the buildoff, and I'm interested in seeing it. Hope I can find a copy locally. 

19 hours ago, #1 model citizen said:

I will withhold judgement until the last issue of this year maybe the first of next as they are usually planning well in advance of publication dates.

11 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

I will withhold judgement until the last issue of this year maybe the first of next as they are usually planning well in advance of publication dates.

Agreed. I was recently told that the editor of Scale Auto was taken by surprise by the cancellation and he had issues planned for over a year in advance with people working on the content. 

4 hours ago, Classicgas said:

I suppose I did jump the gun a little. I didn't take into account that the last issue of SA has just been released. I had given up on the magazine a few years ago & only follow it thru the MCM forums.

I have subscribed to FSM for over 30 years.  Yes, not much of a civilian vehicles coverage, but there are plenty of useful tips and techniques. I have written to the multiple FSM editors (over the years) asking for more civilian vehicle coverage (including civilian aircraft and ships), and even SciFi, and the answer is always "we publish what is provided to us by the authors".  Well, that is a vicious circle. Unless they reach out to authors who would write the articles on the topics I requested, they will not get any such articles.

Still, I find it useful.  It is interesting to see all those different types of models.

On 8/28/2020 at 1:53 PM, Plowboy said:

I wonder how long it will be before the SA forum is also absorbed by FSM? They might as well as the SA forum is pretty much dead.

I have not been over there much but I don’t like the format over there. Some may think it’s great so I will leave it there...

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, carrucha said:

The October issue of SA was finally delivered to my local Barnes and Noble.  It is a good issue.  Nice articles from Tim Boyd.  Glad to see SA go out with a good issue.

Yup picked up a copy myself.Its a shame that most of my magazines that I was reading on a regular basis,are no longer in production.The auto magazine section at BnN is pretty empty.

4 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Yup picked up a copy myself.Its a shame that most of my magazines that I was reading on a regular basis,are no longer in production.The auto magazine section at BnN is pretty empty.

My local Kroger has no automotive magazines anymore. Shockingly, they still have 5-6 gun titles. 

Just now, stinkybritches said:

My local Kroger has no automotive magazines anymore. Shockingly, they still have 5-6 gun titles. 

"Shockingly"? :blink:

Someone must be buying them, or they wouldn't still be carrying them. 

Same thing's true at my local supermarket. I used to see Hemmings and Old School Rodz and Hot Rod there; now only maybe Motor Trend and Car & Driver if you're lucky. But they have several gun mags. (They used to stock FineScaleModeler too, but no more.)

Walmart still carries about 8 or 10 car magazines. I buy my Old School Rodz there now.  I subscribe to Hot Rod and Hemmings Muscle Machines

37 minutes ago, stinkybritches said:

Kroger,is the name of a local book store?Never heard of it.Idk,slowly but surely all my auto mags and SAE are pretty much gone.Meanwhile,there’s like 100 diet,knitting,and gossip magazines.Now I’m going to subscribe to JP,(All Jeeps),and maybe Hemmings Muscle Machines.However,Muscle Car Review,is history.??All on line I guess.

40 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

"Shockingly"? :blink:

Someone must be buying them, or they wouldn't still be carrying them. 

Same thing's true at my local supermarket. I used to see Hemmings and Old School Rodz and Hot Rod there; now only maybe Motor Trend and Car & Driver if you're lucky. But they have several gun mags. (They used to stock FineScaleModeler too, but no more.)

Walmart still carries about 8 or 10 car magazines. I buy my Old School Rodz there now.  I subscribe to Hot Rod and Hemmings Muscle Machines

Sorry, I didn't mean shockingly as it refers to sales. I meant as it refers to the general "let's outlaw guns" mentality that is going on. You know how those evil guns just like to get up and shoot people without provocation. ?

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2018/3/19/fear-loading-kroger-ditching-gun-magazines/

Edited by stinkybritches
added more words

1 minute ago, NYLIBUD said:

Kroger,is the name of a local book store?Never heard of it.Idk,slowly but surely all my auto mags and SAE are pretty much gone.Meanwhile,there’s like 100 diet,knitting,and gossip magazines.Now I’m going to subscribe to JP,(All Jeeps),and maybe Hemmings Muscle Machines.However,Muscle Car Review,is history.??All on line I guess.

It's a supermarket, but they used to carry about 20 automotive titles not too long ago. More titles than the book stores around here.