Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Corvette C7 Grand Sport

AJM

Bottom view of the chassis and engine, a lot of detail painting makes this come alive, even though the suspension is simplified. I wanted to be sure that I had the correct 'stance' and track width of the wheels on the car, especialy with the wider rear fenders, and therefore needed to mate the chassis/interior assembly up to the body to see what modifications were needed. I cut slots into the locating points on the rear wheel hubs and also added spacers to the disk brake hubs to get the correct track of the wheels and also to get the correct centering of the wheels within the wheel wells. I used 5 min two-par epoxy to give me time to ensure that the wheels were correct --did this process for both the front and rear wheels. Looks a little messy with the extended hubs, but these will not be seen with the big Michelins mounted. 

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

On July 16, 2020 at 10:45 PM, larman said:

That's about as nice as they get! Hope the model project works out for you! ?

Larry -- thank you for the compliment -- I'm trying my best to replicate it. Stay tuned!

Used a suggestion from Bob Downie from the excellent article that he recently wrote in SAE, about using Automotive Touchup line of automotive paints -- they have an excellent web site, you can look up a vehicle by year and order the specific paint codes for the car. They have touchup paint in bottles or spray can and they have have a clear coat for the basecoats. As suggested by Bob I mixed the bottle paint 1:1 with Mr. Color leveling thinner and AB onto a spoon for a test. the carbon flash was cleared with Mr. Color Super Clear and the I then painted the Gurney flap spoiler, rocker skirts, mirrors and front splitter. You can see some of these parts below -- I put the spoon in for reference --you can see the metal flakes in the carbon flash --which does not look out of scale.

IMG_1906.jpg

Couldn't resist test fitting a few of the carbon flash parts and also to check the stance/look of the body/proportions --i think it's getting close --here's a few other views ---

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

Well the chassis/engine/ interior and wheels are completed. The next things left to do are to fill a couple of spots on the body, a final round of primer and wet sanding. Then onto color coat/ clear decals etc -- this is the part that I'm most anxious about not screwing up -- I'll update a s best I can, Thank you for watching, and let me know if you have any comments or suggestions/questions. i've learned a lot from this build , but much was stimulated by the excellent craftsman that I see on this forum --thx to all!

IMG_1904.jpg

8 hours ago, Madhatter said:

that's some pretty brave surgery going on there. Well done on the results - it's made a huge difference. Nice 1:1 too I might say

What's the ride height like on this - does it sits lower than the pics above?

Simon -- Thx for the compliment on the 1:1 car! Yes, this was one of the most challenging projects that I have endeavored and getting the 'ride' height and stance correct was difficult -- especially getting tires that had the proper Michelin profile and still fit the Plazmos wheels. The height from the top of the rear tire to the bottom of the rear fender measures about 70mm on the 1:1 --so for the model the distance is about 2.8mm. I did the same measurements on the front -- the front will have an added complication for the 'stone' guard that wraps about 3/4 of the way around the front wheel arch, so again there needs to be space between the tire and the fender.

Hopefully this will all come together,

Thx again,

Al

• 5 weeks later...

Ismael -- thx for the kind words -- I have a few small tweaks to the body, final primer and then off to the Arctic White basecoat and clearcoat. I'm still undecided on either painting the front fender GS stripes or using decals -- the color of the stripes are a dark grey --which is very hard to replicate with a decal. I'm going to paint the 'center stripe' 'Carbon Flash' --since the decals that I have are just all black.

Hopefully this won't be much longer!

Thx

Al

• 3 weeks later...

Made some progress on the C7GS, finally got some Arctic White(Automotive Touchup) AB'd onto the hood and the spoiler. The Stripes on the hood and the spoiler were measured and laid out -- then painted with AT Carbon Flash; these were then cleared with AT single stage Clear --this was then rubbed out and polished. I then  test fitted the hood and the spoiler/Gurney flaps to the body. The spot you see in the Carbon flash stripe is a reflection in the Clearcoat --my photography skills are not that great. Let me know what you think....

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

I attached the hood front grill air vents --this was also painted AT Carbon Flash. The body has it's final coat of primer and is ready to be painted; this is the part I'm most anxious about, but can't wait to have this done. Fingers crossed!!

IMG_1951.jpg

A little more progress on the C7 Grand Sport, measured and centered the hood and rear deck carbon Flash stripe -- added the hood and rear spoiler which i had painted separately to ensure that the stripes aligned, looks pretty close, 

IMG_1974.jpg

Also painted the rear valence and the side coves, AT Carbon Flash, getting closer to the end --still need to paint the 'A' pillars, the rear brake scoop trim, then add the decals and clear coat. It's starting to come alive!! thanx for following!

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

Wayne and Carl -- Thx for the compliments --it has been a very long build process, trying not to rush this end process as i can see the finish line. Still more details and some minor over spray to correct, I'll try and keep the updates coming.

• 4 weeks later...

A little more progress on the C7 GS, detail painting completed, added panel line detail with the 'The Detailer' grey and completed the decals. Next is clear coat, and I'm thinking of painting the fender hash stripes after clear coat with Valejo Acrylic Gunmetal --the decals I have don't look quit correct --coming down the home stretch.... Thx for looking

IMG_1997.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Side view of GS, still need to put side cove trim and front wheel arch 'stone guard' on. Also, I'm going to clear the fender hash stipes, so they will hold up to some polishing. Used the kit decals for the side marker lights -- getting closer to the finish line -- thanx for looking, appreciate any comments.

Al

IMG_2010.jpg