Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wendell Scott's '65 Ford Galaxie

Merkur XR4Ti

NASCAR’s first Black driver, Wendell Scott prepared his own cars and often had to make do with second-hand equipment, but his tenacity and driving skills were unmatched.

I'd been wanting to build this for a long time. I used the AMT kit (the latest reissue contained the rollcage and exhaust I needed) and PPP wheels and tires. Shaved off some of the trim, added a fuel outflow pipe in the rear and cut a new gas lid into the side. I also added a sun shade with tape as some of my reference pictures showed Wendell running with one. I used Ace decals' excellent Wendell Scott sheet for the graphics.

ws1.jpg

ws2.jpg

In 1967, I believe it was the Daytona 500, Wendell wrecked his car in practice and pretty much destroyed the front clip. A bid shot with Holman Moody told him he could use the front sheet metal from his personal car. Wendel spent most of the night removing and replacing the sheet metal  and had it ready for qualifying the next day. I don't remember where he qualified, or where he finished,  I'm sure he was in the top 10 or 15, but when the race was over, he thanked the H/M rep, loaded the car on his trailer, new front sheet metal( from H/M reps car and toodeled  back home with a smile on his face. I am so glad to see someone build a tribute to Wendel. He was, and will be the best non white driver, that ever sat behind a wheel.

On 7/17/2020 at 11:00 PM, moparfarmer said:

Did Wendell Scott ever run a MOPAR or was it just Ford and the odd GM cars?  Good driver with what he had and what he had to deal with..

From my searching he never ran in a Mopar under his own race team. He started out in Chevies and then switched to Fords. He bought his equipment second-hand most of the time and presumably grabbed what he could. There are listed the odd starts for other teams in a Plymouth (3 starts for GC Spencer racing over three years) but he never used Mopars on his own team.

Harry Gant drove this car the next year, 1974 at both Charlotte races.  I think the owner was Doc Faustina.  See photos below.  Both silver cars are Gant.  The rear quarter of Gant`s Dodge is shown in the second pic.  The #17 Dodge is Bobby Isaac.

1872135217_5HarryGantSilverDodgeCharlotte19742.jpg.b2e1c616abf02f32b7d9e5488b038e5d.jpg1182889767_5HarryGantSilverDodgeCharlotte1974.jpg.7ad468c3793cf6bc40ffba4dafe7b4b8.jpg1182889767_5HarryGantSilverDodgeCharlotte1974.jpg.7ad468c3793cf6bc40ffba4dafe7b4b8.jpg

#5 Harry Gant Silver Dodge Charlotte 1974 2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished reading an article about Wendell Scott. It seems in 1972, he ran a Monte Carlo in at least one race. ...the World 600 at Charlotte. If I can find that pic again, I'll post it.

Edited by Bucky

9 hours ago, David Miller said:

If I could find decals I’d like to built this car , yes looks more like a Montego than a Cyclone 

46C476C7-74CF-401C-BE5A-23DBB58534EC.png

Powerslide/Ace decals makes a Wendell Scott sheet that has the decals to do that Cyclone.You can order that sheet from Mike’s Decals.I’m pretty sure it’s still in stock.

Edited by catpack68