Model Cars Magazine Forum

|- SURFIN' WAGON '65 CHEVELLE

1972coronet

My latest W.I.P. : the AMT 1965 Chevelle "Surfin' Wagon' . This is the first time I've built one of these ( oddly , I've built many of its El Camino counterparts ) , and I'm enjoying it greatly . 

It's going to be Tamiya Pure White with Tamiya Medium Blue Metallic interior (see photos of the nearly-completed interior) . I've covered the flooring with black embossing powder ; then primed with Tamiya grey primer ; then colour coats , and ; Tamiya Flat Blue was brushed-over the 'powdered sections --- that gave the surfaces a texture and finish similar to colour-keyed rubber floor mats (yes , I know this is the Malibu trim level , but I wanted a 300 appearance).

Without further ado , here's photos of the nearly-complete interior ( dashboard and steering wheel are still being finalised) 

1965-chevelle-interior-001.jpg.770d2b89545b6d190a948f7ad08b3cdd.jpg1965-chevelle-interior-002.jpg.34df5848a0d6de37338bfe6a187c1e9f.jpg1965-chevelle-interior-003.jpg.d96cfed45918f3d57f603a862b8b15f2.jpg

Still have some touch-up work to do . Obviously , the pedals and the shifter boot need paint ( Tamiya Rubber , Black ) . 

I'd hesitated covering the luggage area ; I considered covering the huge ejection marques with various objects ( fuel can , jack stands , spare tyre , etc. ) , but couldn't find a satisfactory layout , so an "accessory luggage mat" it is .

Thanks much for following . All accolades and critiques welcomed .

Although I am a died in the wool hot rodder, the 64/65 wagon/El Caminos are among my favourite kits.  I have two Elkies built and two wagons, another four waiting in the wings.  I do like the way you have captured a factory feel to your interior vinyl.

Cheers

Alan

1 hour ago, alan barton said:

Although I am a died in the wool hot rodder, the 64/65 wagon/El Caminos are among my favourite kits.  I have two Elkies built and two wagons, another four waiting in the wings.  I do like the way you have captured a factory feel to your interior vinyl.

Cheers

Alan

Thank you kindly , Mate !  I too am pleased with how the interior looks like vinyl --- that was straight from the aerosol can , over grey primer , no top coat .

Thanks again !

I agree, that interior colour/finish is very effective.

When I recently built my '66 Chevelle wagon I achived a similar effect in the loadbay with a sheet of 80-grit wet-and-dry paper. That wouldn't work so well over the transmission tunnel though.

Look forward to seeing it progress.

2 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I agree, that interior colour/finish is very effective.

When I recently built my '66 Chevelle wagon I achived a similar effect in the loadbay with a sheet of 80-grit wet-and-dry paper. That wouldn't work so well over the transmission tunnel though.

Look forward to seeing it progress.

Thanks much . I'd given consideration to a strip of 1,200 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper , but I didn't want to sacrifice any ( haha ) .

I have the '66 wagon in my collection . I'd entertained the idea of using its chassis / suspension / engine / transmission / differential , and creating a Modified Production wagon ; however , I'd finally settled on replicating the kinds of wagons I'd see around near the beaches when I was young . I may end up adding a couple of rust streaks and spots around the windscreen trim , fuel door , and the side trim ---- not a tonne of rot , just a couple of years' worth of salty air exposure .

Thanks again !