Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda 440+6

mrmike

Thanks Guido!  Many pictures show the Rallye wheels on many Mopars.  Since I used Rallye wheels on my first 'Cuda, I wanted something different on this one and the Magnum's fit the bill.  

I finished the interior with an automatic shifter on the console and a "Tuff"-like steering wheel on the column.

More 'Cuda to come...

440+640.JPG

440+641.JPG

440+642.JPG

• 2 months later...

I haven't been working on this model for some time now and I decide that I have to finish it and get it off the bench.  I finished the grille by adding the headlights and turn signals.  I added the decals to the body after I clearcoated the body.  I need to cleanup the stripes where they broke and clearcoat the body again.  

440+643.JPG

440+644.JPG

440+645.JPG

I touched up the decals where they broke and then I clearcoated the body with Testors Ultra Gloss Clearcoat.  Since I used the chrome bumpers on my previous 383 'Cuda, I opted for the body colored bumpers for this 'Cuda just to be different.

440+646.JPG

440+647.JPG

440+648.JPG

I had a '70 Cuda a few years back, and thing I liked most about it was the interior color. Everything was black, except for the front buckets and rear seat. They were white! I'm not sure if it was factory correct, but it was beautiful! I'm planning on building the '70 Cuda myself in the near future, but I want to use the late model Challenger's chassis, interior and engine. In other words, replace the Challenger body with the Cuda body.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

I had a '70 Cuda a few years back, and thing I liked most about it was the interior color. Everything was black, except for the front buckets and rear seat. They were white! I'm not sure if it was factory correct, but it was beautiful! I'm planning on building the '70 Cuda myself in the near future, but I want to use the late model Challenger's chassis, interior and engine. In other words, replace the Challenger body with the Cuda body.

The white interior is correct for a stock 'Cuda with just the seats being white and everything else is black.  The 'Cuda is a little shorter than the Challenger which had a longer wheelbase.  Even the newer Challenger has a longer wheelbase than the '70 'Cuda.  You would have to cut down the interior and the chassis and hope that everything fits.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

If it was factory the door panels and back panel would have been white too..

4 hours ago, moparfarmer said:

If it was factory the door panels and back panel would have been white too..

Same with the kick panels (front) , sail panels (interior-side C-pillars) , and headliner . 

@mrmike, Yours is coming along quite nicely ! Tor-Red ( Hemi Orange) is a gorgeous colour... my '72 Swinger was factory EV2 . A friend had a '70  'Cuda 340 in the early 90's which was originally EK2 Vitamin C ( Go Mango) with white interior . Someone painted it generic white and converted the interior to black. I found shredded sections of the build sheet (typical Los Angeles Plant deal) shoved-under the dashboard . The car also had AM/8-Track 5 speaker stereo .

I think I am assembling this 'Cuda in the wrong order as it is fighting me.  My fumble fingers have lost both of the driving light lenses, but I was able to find some replacements in the parts box.  They are not exact, but they'll do.    

440+649.JPG

440+650.JPG

440+651.JPG

1 hour ago, Geno said:

Man that is looking sweet Mike, do you know, or anyone one else here if this same body is used for the AAR 'Cuda. The Monogram body is awful in proportion,  Thanks, Geno.

Yes. I have both and they share most of the parts, including the body

14 hours ago, mrmike said:

I think I am assembling this 'Cuda in the wrong order as it is fighting me.  My fumble fingers have lost both of the driving light lenses, but I was able to find some replacements in the parts box.  They are not exact, but they'll do.    

440+649.JPG

440+650.JPG

440+651.JPG

Looks great Mike!