Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mario Rossi 1968 Roadrunner Decals

gks1964

I tried checking a few websites I have saved, and I could not find anyone that has done the decals for that exact car.  From what info I found, Mario Rossi built the car and Darel Deringer drove the car.  If you check out the pics at this link you can see the car had a couple of versions of the numbers on it.  I see some had gold numbers on the door with a white outline, and the car in your pic from Daytona shows gold with a red outline.

http://mariorossi22.com/Photos.html

I found that Powerslide made a decal sheet to do the #22 Bobby Allison '69 Dodge Charger blue car from Mario Rossi, and that will have most of the decals to do the '68 Roadrunner car.  The only decals not on the sheet are the "Plymouth" across the rear fenders, the "Rossi Automotive Engineering" on the front fenders and the sponsor decals, but you can find the sponsor decals from several decal makers.  I don't know where you can get the "Rossi Automotive" decals, and the "Plymouth" decals can be found in white from Keith Marks like in some versions of the car.  Finding them in gold seem to be harder to find.  So depending on if you want to replicate the car from a specific race, then you might be able to build something close.

3 hours ago, gks1964 said:

Thank you very much!! What the heck is a 404 C,I. ENGINE? I guess the A117?

I ran one of the Chrysler Race Dynos back then at the Chrysler Tech Center in Highland Park, Michigan. After the 426 Hemi was banned, then re-instated , NASCAR said we could run a 405" engine for 1966. We ran various size engines  to try to find the right engine for different tracks. We ran a 366", a 396" and a 404" Hemi variants and basically spent most of our time on the 404" engine. The 404" engine had a bigger bore than the 426" engine but a shorter stroke then the 426" engine and bigger valves than the 426' engine. I think we called this the A148 program but my memory fades right now. Some cars had 404 on the hood and some had 405. The legal displacement was 405 but most people ran 404 to give them a little leeway when it came to inspection. Like today the limit is 358 but almost everybody run a 355" engine.

Edited by Vietnam Vet67
addition of info.

13 minutes ago, yellowsportwagon said:

Notice on the car with Plymouth in white the number borders are also white. In the original pictures the top #s have white borders the doors have black. The red look  is camera screwing with the color I do believe.

WOW!! That's good to know! I think I have the decalS solved with every ones help the Power slide #'s white Plymouth and Rossi decal from JNJ? Now just need to figure out the 404 hood decals!

1 hour ago, Radar43 said:

Gerald, for the hood displacement use the 4 and the C.I. from the decal sheet. On the "04"  paint a clear decal light gray and hand paint a 04 on to that. Just my thoughts.

That's an interesting idea!!

6 minutes ago, Radar43 said:

That is what the video showed they did, well they used gray duct tape.  Then took a marker, I would say, and wrote a 04 on the tape. 

Well if it was good enough for them, it's good enough for me!! 

Thanks Howard

On 7/22/2020 at 9:26 AM, gks1964 said:

Found the Rossi Automotive Engineering decal on an old JNJ sheet!!

Hi, Ive wanted to build this car for a while as well. Im wondering what JNJ decal sheet has the Rossi Automotive Engineering decal on it? Thanks for all the research everyone. It has helped a lot.