Model Cars Magazine Forum

Riley 4-Banger '29 Roadster

Dennis Lacy

Fresh off my workbench is this Revell based '29 Roadster. My intention with this project was for it to reflect a hot rod that was originally built in the 40's then sold in the early 50's. The new owner gives it a complete makeover with current trends of metallic paint and whitewalls while not changing any of its now dated components such as the hopped up 4-cylinder motor and late 30's artillery style wheels. Let me know what you all think!

- Revell '29 Roadster body and channeled option frame.

- Frame center cross member reworked with 2nd installed further forward for wishbone mount and Revell '48 Ford rear cross member.

- Revell '48 Ford rear axle and '40 Ford shocks.

- Revell '40 Ford dropped front axle, spring, tie rod, shocks and brakes with Revell '29 Pickup stock wishbone.

- Revell '29 Pickup steering gear and pitman arm with scratch built drag link and upper steering arm.

- Revell '37 Pickup front wheels with AMT '41 Woody tires, Drag City Casting modified '37 rear wheels to fit Monogram '41 Lincoln tires, '37 Pickup spare wheel "FORD" emblem caps.

- Revell '31 Sedan 4-cylinder engine with optional Riley 2-port head, dual intake and finned side cover. Head modified with bolt head detail and correct slopes where spark plugs install. Parts box magneto. Revell Tweady Pie carburetors. Revell '32 Sedan beehive oil filter. Detail Master #1 plumbing lines, hoses and fittings. Parts by Parks ignition wire. Big tube exhaust made from '29 Pickup rear axle torque tube. Revell '40 Ford transmission.

- Body wheel wells filled flush with detail bead added. Original license plate and taillight holes filled. Revell '37 Pickup taillight and license plate mount. AMT '25 T headlights. Revell '32 Ford grill and shell chopped 6 scale inches

- Drag City Casting resin stylized roadster top. 

- Revell '29 roadster kit floor, interior side panels and seat. Revell '30 Coupe dashboard. Revell '40 Ford steering wheel and column shift.

- Tamiya TS59 Pearl Light Red with their light gray primer and gloss coat. 

1595207933170-vi.jpg

1595207934074-vi.jpg

1595207942035-vi.jpg

1595207963787-vi.jpg

1595208048890-vi.jpg

1595208059648-vi.jpg

1595208016681-vi.jpg

1595208187759-vi.jpg

1595208115160-vi.jpg

1595208144735-vi.jpg

1595208071990-vi.jpg

1595207990289-vi.jpg

1595207997924-vi.jpg

1595208079334-vi.jpg

1595208169625-vi.jpg

1595208086345-vi.jpg

1595208160296-vi.jpg

1595208160797-vi.jpg

1595208168369-vi.jpg

Pink is the new black!  It certainly works on this neat little rod!

Re-purposing the original Revell centre crossmember is a classic "Now why didn't I think of that ?" moment!  I reworked the one on my pink coupe but seeing it used your way is a natural - and I have no shortage of them!

I think your back story works pretty well.  i wonder if a guy going to the trouble of that upgrade might have stepped up for some cool taillights - maybe the single one in the centre is a throw back to the original build?

The engine detailing is a real credit to you - again, you nail that raw metallic finish on components in different shades that look soooo correct - I love it!  I swear I am going to try that on my next retro rod. I just have to overcome my chrome addiction!

Great model Dennis, and again proves what a great blank canvas Revell gave us with this kit.

Cheers

Alan

10 hours ago, alan barton said:

Pink is the new black!  It certainly works on this neat little rod!

Re-purposing the original Revell centre crossmember is a classic "Now why didn't I think of that ?" moment!  I reworked the one on my pink coupe but seeing it used your way is a natural - and I have no shortage of them!

I think your back story works pretty well.  i wonder if a guy going to the trouble of that upgrade might have stepped up for some cool taillights - maybe the single one in the centre is a throw back to the original build?

The engine detailing is a real credit to you - again, you nail that raw metallic finish on components in different shades that look soooo correct - I love it!  I swear I am going to try that on my next retro rod. I just have to overcome my chrome addiction!

Great model Dennis, and again proves what a great blank canvas Revell gave us with this kit.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks for your comments, Alan. And it’s not pink, the can says red! LOL This color is a huge departure from my usual pallet but now that it’s all said and done I’m very happy with my choice. 

And the taillight was meant to be one of the purposefully dated pieces on the car. Another hint of its original 40’s build era. 

On 7/20/2020 at 8:22 AM, gman said:

Love this one. I have been trying to think of a platform that would look good wearing this share of light metallic red, and I believe you have found it. An excellent period build.

Thanks a bunch! It’s one of those colors that won’t look good on just anything. Luckily I made a bet that paid off!

Dennis...this model is a poster child for the "period attention to detail" school of model car building that I respect so much.  Very innovative approach to the frame and suspension.  Love the fine engine detail.  And as Alan says, "Pink is the new Black", at least in our world of period hot rods!  Congrats on another great addition to the Lacy hot rod model collection.   TIM