Model Cars Magazine Forum

Junior Fueler. New Photos 07/20/2020

Straightliner59

I finally spent a little time with my camera, adjusting settings, so that I can shoot better photos of my models. I have posted photos of this model, before, but, these photos are far superior to my earlier efforts! As I have time, I will likely re-shoot my entire collection. Anyway...

If this is the first time you've seen this, its story can be found in the WIP thread, here:

Chassis is MPC Ramchargers' dragster. Engine is the display engine from AMT's '66 Nova. The entire fuel system is scratchbuit, as well as the magneto. Headers are soldered brass strip and tubing. Almost everything in the cockpit is scratchbuilt. The body was made from hardware store aluminum flashing. It was annealed, and hammered to shape. The body was built using and article from a 1968(?) Hot Rod Magazine, in which Tom Hanna describes his method of building a "shorty" dragster body.

I hope you enjoy these new photos...I am pretty happy with them! Thanks for looking!

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0046cr.jpg

DSC_0085cr.jpg

DSC_0075cr.jpg

DSC_0083cr.jpg

DSC_0027cr.jpg

DSC_0063cr.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Snake45 said:

That's one of the most realistic looking models of any kind I've ever seen. Well done and model on! B)

Thank you, Snake. I appreciate that! I have to model on, because, like you--it's what I do!

5 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

OUTSTANDING!

Thank you, Larry! Thanks for looking!

4 hours ago, SoDak1 said:

Gorgeous! The heat shrink roll bar padding is brilliant

Thanks, Jeffrey. It worked out pretty well! I first tried to wrap it with tape. No success, there!grin

54 minutes ago, majel said:

That is a very cool dragster!  Extremely well done.

Thanks, Jim! Those little fuelers were very cool!

Thanks for your comments, everyone! They are appreciated.

23 hours ago, slusher said:

Fantastic looking dragster!

Thanks, Carl!

12 hours ago, Deuces ll said:

Oh, yeah!... ??

Cool! Thanks, Guido!

22 minutes ago, Glen Powers said:

Dan, outstanding workmanship on this build! Talk about setting the bar higher.

BTW I still miss the SLM days.

Glen

Thank you, Glen. You probably saw photos of this, back when I first started on it. That was a great bunch of guys! Well...most of the time! ?

1 hour ago, dragcarz said:

Wow amazing build here, I always wanted to own a Jr. Fuel dragster, I was very disappointed to learn Nitro Junior Fuel cars are not allowed anymore, only alcohol.

It seems to me that a series featuring actual,  junior fuelers could be an attraction. Alcohol needs support, I would think. Thank you, Roger.

5 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Glad you decided to picture your models Daniel,  a real treat for the eyes, the engine and body are fantastic!  I knew aluminum flashing was a good material for body panels (I never tried it though) but your photos speak for themselves...  Well done again my friend!!!

Thanks, Francis. I appreciate you having a look, and commenting. Much appreciated! It took me a while to get my settings dialed-in, and,  there may be a bit more, to do, toward that, but, these are much better than my earlier efforts! I  love that flashing! I use it all the time! That and tooling aluminum. Not sure what I  would do, without either!

58 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

That is definitely the best dragster build I've seen yet. You absolutely nailed it! Great job

Thank you, Scott! I very much appreciate it!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Imagine my suprise while I was researching Small Block Chevy Junior Fuelers and this pops up, I was thinking of a use for the small block from the Camaro and I remembered a friends Junior Fueler from long ago and thought another 1/12 project might be fun but a lot less complicated.  As usual you have produced a bench mark model and I like it a lot!

• Like 1

Thank you, Ian. Glad you found it! If you do one, have fun with the injectors! I spent several efforts over many years, until I finally made a set of Enderles I was happy with. A Hilborn setup would be easier, but, for me, a classic Small Block junior fueler has to have an Enderle! None of the kit ones were any good. I even sprung for aftermarket ones--nope. I can tell you that I would enjoy watching that come together!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 8:30 AM, Straightliner59 said:

I finally spent a little time with my camera, adjusting settings, so that I can shoot better photos of my models. I have posted photos of this model, before, but, these photos are far superior to my earlier efforts! As I have time, I will likely re-shoot my entire collection. Anyway...

If this is the first time you've seen this, its story can be found in the WIP thread, here:

Chassis is MPC Ramchargers' dragster. Engine is the display engine from AMT's '66 Nova. The entire fuel system is scratchbuit, as well as the magneto. Headers are soldered brass strip and tubing. Almost everything in the cockpit is scratchbuilt. The body was made from hardware store aluminum flashing. It was annealed, and hammered to shape. The body was built using and article from a 1968(?) Hot Rod Magazine, in which Tom Hanna describes his method of building a "shorty" dragster body.

I hope you enjoy these new photos...I am pretty happy with them! Thanks for looking!

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0046cr.jpg

DSC_0085cr.jpg

DSC_0075cr.jpg

DSC_0083cr.jpg

DSC_0027cr.jpg

DSC_0063cr.jpg

Daniel....really impressive work there, expecially that polished aluminum cockpit surround.  Bravo!   TIm 

• Like 1