Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg Petty Plymouth

One would hope.  I guess what I really need to ask is what engine/transmission is in the kit.  I need a hemi/4-speed combination for a Lindberg project I'm working on.  All of the LIndberg super stock Dodges have a hemi with an automatic, and all the Plymouths have a wedge with a 4-speed.  My only hope is the Petty or Paul Goldsmith Plymouths.  Anyone have one and can tell me?  Thanks!

17 minutes ago, Mark said:

The Lindberg '64 Plymouth kits (all versions) have manual transmissions, all of the Dodges have Torqueflites.

And all the Plymouths had a 426 wedge engine.  Is that the case with the Nascar kits?

Thanks, guys, for all the help, and for digging around in your stuff.

2 hours ago, hack-n-whack said:

If you have a Lindberg 426 wedge engine, just substitute a Lindberg set of hemi heads & valve covers. Also hemi headers from the Ramchargers or Maverick kits.

This is pure genius!  I wish I'd thought of it, but since I didn't I'm glad you did!!

Thanks all!!

As a new forum member, not building models for many years,

I venture a few questions related to the Petty Plymouth -64

but not related to the the engine speciacially as this thread started,

Hopefully this deviation is ok.

1) There are Lindberg and Johan kits of this car (probably the later also boxed as AMT?)
  What are the differences between them (if any) ?
  Which is the preferred on ?

2) I have the impression that both have the simple underbody with the exhaust and rear axle /chassis molded intergral with this .'
  Correct/wrong ?

3) I have the impression that both have a "fully furnished interior tub"
  Correct/wrong ?

4) But the actual car was stripped interior-wise ?
      Suggestions how to realize this in a model ?
     Where to find pictures of the interior incl the ip-panel ? Have searched the net and youtube, so far unsuccessfully.

5) Considering the questions on the underbody and the interior, would it be a sensible idea to combine either the Johan or the Lindberg kit with one of the modern kits of drag racers ?

E.g the AMT Lawman alt the Moebuis S/S Eckstrand S/S car ?
  As these are more detailed on the underside, and in these kits there are separate interior sides which perhaps could be handed,
  putting e.g. the right one on the left side with its outside facing inwards, and cutting holes/ openings where appropriate
  Obviously the intake manifold must be changed to a single carb and NASCAR exhausts installed , but I would think both are included in the Johan/Lindberg kit?
  Also Nascar type tyres and rims must be used. Those in the Lindberg or Johan kit ok ?
  Or aftermarket parts needed ?

6)  Or other suggestions for better starting point to build this car ?

Appreciate all feed back on these questions as I would like to build this car.,
but is uncertain about the best way

1. It's the former, not the latter.

2. The Lindberg chassis are comprised of separate suspension and exhaust components and are highly detailed. Johan chassis have molded in components and very soft detail in comparison. The Lindberg/AMT Mopar chassis are used as replacements for the Johan parts because of the superior detail.

3. Wrong. Lindberg/AMT interior tubs, unlike Johan's, are detailed multi-piece assemblies, even possessing separate door panels, seats and even arm rests.

4. Out of my area. Perhaps someone else better versed in NASCAR will provide that information.

5. See number 2.

6. None that I can think of; although, others might.

The Lindberg Petty 64 Plymouth kit is a NASCAR race car so if it have anything else than a Hemi and a 4-speed wich was what they raced with it would be wrong, so of course it has that combination.

The interior side panels comes two sided, one side with the stock interior pattern and one side is flat with window cranks only...they have to be removed tho' as I don't think a NASCAR race car had them, it also comes with a roll cage and no rear seat.
The rear axle is not right either as I believe they used 8 3/4 inch rear ends on Mopar NASCAR cars.

SfanGoch & Force: Thanks for good information

Seems like the Lindberg-kit is the one to go for when it is time for building.

Now reamains how to find any kind of interior pictures on the -64 car.
Found on YT yesterday a film with Emerson Fittipaldi driving the -67 car on Goodwood Speed Festival,
Seemed from short glipses, that the interior sheet metal was completely exposed./ barren.
Probably this was the case also on the -64.
But how did it look ???

Berr 13:: Apologies for adding items  to the topics of your thread
Thought it would be a good opportunity to raise these questions, as those in the know of the Petty cars were already alerted.

8 hours ago, Force said:

The Lindberg Petty 64 Plymouth kit is a NASCAR race car so if it have anything else than a Hemi and a 4-speed wich was what they raced with it would be wrong, so of course it has that combination.

The interior side panels comes two sided, one side with the stock interior pattern and one side is flat with window cranks only...they have to be removed tho' as I don't think a NASCAR race car had them, it also comes with a roll cage and no rear seat.
The rear axle is not right either as I believe they used 8 3/4 inch rear ends on Mopar NASCAR cars.

I believe the early '64 cars did still have roll-up side glass.  The early cars still had side trim and a bench front seat with the passenger side seat back removed.

The Dana 60 rear axle did not yet exist in 1964 so it is wrong for the kit.

Best combination of parts IMO would be Jo-Han body and related parts, and maybe some engine parts, interior and chassis from the Lindberg kit, aftermarket wheels and tires.

Did some further searching on the net.

Found info on this forum from 2014 and also in other forums and articles.

Iindicates that the car had a more or less full interior trim (blue) from the outset of the -64 season (Daytona 500)

but it was gradually "decontented" as the season continued, this naturally to save weight.

And at least the metal in the roll cage in Petty´s car was most likely blue.

In line with current knowledge ? Or some new findings ?

On 7/22/2020 at 5:16 AM, kjohan said:

Berr 13:: Apologies for adding items  to the topics of your thread
Thought it would be a good opportunity to raise these questions, as those in the know of the Petty cars were already alerted.

Not a problem...we're all learning something!