Model Cars Magazine Forum

Netflix

Snake45

The Lovely Mrs. Snake recently got a Netflix machine and subscription, and is graciously sharing it with me. I thought this would be great, but I am having a hard time finding good stuff to watch. Almost any movie title I put in isn't available. :(:angry:

So far I've watched the most recent comedy concerts of Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, and Ricky Gervais (all were funny), and both seasons of Gervais's different and interesting Afterlife. I saw Terminator Salvation, and Bird Box, and The Highwaymen, and now I'm about halfway through Public Enemies.  Last month I found Tremors on there, which I've never seen but heard good things about and wanted to watch, but when I got around to it, it was gone!  Turns out they only had the Tremors movies (five or six of them) for the month of June, and I waited too long, dimmit. :angry::angry::angry:

So what else on there is worth watching? Will consider almost anything interesting that I haven't already seen before. :unsure:

Theres a couple of car shows that are all right. one is called car spotting and the other is  rust valley restorers. I enjoyed their marvell series, punisher and luke cage were probably the best 2 imo but they might be gone now disney took over the franchise. Theres also a code in settings you can possibly change that opens up everything but its been a while since i've used a tv box so it might not be there now, but it was shown in a you tube video how to do it.

They had some movies out in februry that were pretty good too, one with chris hemsworth i cant remember the proper name for but it had a number in the title (possibly 6 underground but i may be wrong) One thing i noticed when i was using a box was some of the descriptions were very poor and made the movies sound bad but they were actually pretty decent. Old guard is pretty recent if you want a sorta version of highlander. Rotten tomatoes is a good way to find netflix movies and get better descriptions

DARK - is an awesome creepy series. Like Stranger Things but for grownups.

Bright - Will Smith movie about humans co-existing with Orcs and Elves, set in modern times. I really liked it.

Spenser Confidential  - loosely based on the old Spenser For Hire TV show. Mark Wahlburg stars, it's amusing.

Uppity - documentary about Willy T Ribbs, the Indy driver.

Drive To Survive - a behind the scenes documentary about F1 racing. Two seasons so far. Really, really good.

The IT Crowd - simply the funniest show available. British show about the IT department in an office building. I could rewatch this again and again. And I do.

Santa Clarita Diet - Dark comedy about dead people in sunny California. Three seasons, and it's great.

That's should get you started.

Some on Netflix I've watched this year that I liked a lot:

Deadwind-- Finnish crime drama.  

Bordertown--Finnish/Russian crime drama

Retribution-- Scottish family revenge/crime drama

The Vallhalla Murders--Icelandic crime drama

The Forest-- French crime drama, great scenery

The Woods- Polish crime drama

Marcella--British crime drama, set in N. Ireland

Spy--Israeli crime drama w/ Sacha Baron Cohen, set in Syria in the 60s

Marseille--French political drama w/ Gerard Depardeu

and many, many more...

I do seem to watch a lot of subtitled European crime dramas w/ great scenery...  I watch a lot on Amazon Prime as well.

I don't have Netflix but...find their stuff laying around the Internet sometimes.  They have some great documentaries and documentary series.

According to the schedule I found, right now Netflix is showing the 2010 documentary "Senna," about the life and death of Ayrton Senna. Also Ken Burns' 17-part documentary about the Vietnam War.

A docu series I really liked is "Dirty Money," about the global economy and the exciting new ways it's ripping us all off.  Crooked bankers, politicians of every persuasion, Big Pharma and...the Great Canadian Maple Syrup War!

Lotta interesting ideas here, keep 'em coming! 

I finished Public Enemies (not that great) and am now halfway through American Assassin

Heard a lot about that Tiger King thing, maybe I'll watch that. :unsure:

I'll second the Gabriel "Fluffy" Iglesias stuff.  Seen a couple standup shows and the 2 seasons of his sitcom. 

Russel Peters is also very funny.

Also "The Ranch" was good if you don't mind the language. 

If you want to see what rednecks look like on my part of the planet watch "Trailer Park Boys".  The show was made about 5 hours from here and I actually know people just like Ricky and Julian, unfortunately. 

Canadian and US Netflix don't always have the same shows though 

49 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I finished Public Enemies (not that great) and am now halfway through American Assassin

Is that the Public Enemies with Johnny Depp playing Dillinger?  I agree, it wasn't that great.  Bryan Burrough's book with the same name was a lot better, that's what the movie was based on.

Burrough stuck to the facts, which the movie didn't.  I understand movies changing stuff sometimes, but that movie showed Pretty Boy Floyd being killed before Dillinger.  He was killed after Dillinger.  Can't see any reason to do that. It didn't add anything to the plot and just annoyed us historical nit-pickers.

If you can find it, back in 2008 the History Channel ran a great show about the same subject.  Crime Wave: 18 Months of Mayhem.  For 18 months in the early 1930's, there was a bank robbery, kidnapping, shoot-out or other major crime just about every week.  The show put up a map, showing the date and location of each incident.  It was pretty amazing, seeing them all in one place like that.  

16 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Is that the Public Enemies with Johnny Depp playing Dillinger?  I agree, it wasn't that great.  Bryan Burrough's book with the same name was a lot better, that's what the movie was based on.

Burrough stuck to the facts, which the movie didn't.  I understand movies changing stuff sometimes, but that movie showed Pretty Boy Floyd being killed before Dillinger.  He was killed after Dillinger.  Can't see any reason to do that. It didn't add anything to the plot and just annoyed us historical nit-pickers.

If you can find it, back in 2008 the History Channel ran a great show about the same subject.  Crime Wave: 18 Months of Mayhem.  For 18 months in the early 1930's, there was a bank robbery, kidnapping, shoot-out or other major crime just about every week.  The show put up a map, showing the date and location of each incident.  It was pretty amazing, seeing them all in one place like that.  

Very interesting. What got me into it was I just finished rereading G-Man, Stephen Hunter's entirely fictional account of the Dillinger thing as told mainly through Baby Face Nelson. Even though it was entirely fiction, there was more fact in it than in Public Enemies. (The main character, Charles Swagger, is completely fictitious but is insert into and removed from the historical record absolutely seamlessly.) I recommend it highly. In fact, I recommend all of Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger books highly. Best thrillers I've ever read. B)

11 hours ago, Mike999 said:

I loved the History Channel show crime wave! I looked up Public Enemies and other then the killing of Pretty boy Floyd it’s suppose the be the most accurate on John Dillinger. That’s just what I read.

1 hour ago, slusher said:

I looked up Public Enemies and other then the killing of Pretty boy Floyd it’s suppose the be the most accurate on John Dillinger. That’s just what I read.

Baby Face Nelson wasn't killed at Little Bohemia, either. Both of them were killed AFTER Dillinger. 

Just finished American Assassin. Started out kinda okay, but the farther it went, the sillier it got. Michael Keaton was cool, but I think I'll pass on any sequels. 

Just discovered they have Breaking Bad, so maybe I'll get back into that. That'll eat up a few hours. B)

If you're inspired to build any Breaking Bad scale model vehicles, this Wiki should help.  But just like the show, it can eat up some time.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Vehicles

I was living/working in Egypt when the first few seasons of Breaking Bad aired, and didn't want to start in the middle of it.  I was real happy when AMC showed it end-to-end a couple of years ago.  I DVR'd every show, then sat down and binge-watched them from start to finish.  A couple of episodes glitched but I found them lying around the internet. 

There are a few Netflix original series which I liked, and have not been mentioned yet as far as I can tell...

"Mindhunter" is an interesting show about the FBI profiling pioneers in serial murderer cases set in the late 70-s.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5290382/

"Narcos" and "Narcos: Mexico" are fantastically produced sagas about the drug trade ranging from the days of Pablo Escobar and other Colombian cartels to the rise of the infamous Mexican cartels.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2707408/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8714904/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

And if you like "Breaking Bad" you might like "Ozark", a show about a financial advisor played by Jason Bateman who gets into all sorts of shenanigans with his family whilst laundering money for a Mexican drug cartel from the Ozark lakes.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5071412/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

If you don't mind foreign language stuff, Spanish show "Money Heist" (Originally "La Casa de Papel") is interesting too.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6468322/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

As for Netflix original movies, there is always Scorsese's "The Irishman" if you haven't seen it yet ;)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1302006/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

And "Tiger King"... Not sure what to say... You have to watch it in order to at least try to believe it, and even then one remains skeptical about it all... It is "interesting" much in the same way as a highway pileup occurring as you watch, if you know what I mean... It is terrible but you simply cannot look away :P

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11823076/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Edited by PowerPlant

19 hours ago, Mike999 said:

If you're inspired to build any Breaking Bad scale model vehicles, this Wiki should help.  But just like the show, it can eat up some time.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Vehicles

Finished up season one last night. 

The Wiki missed a good one. In the episode when WW meets Tuco for the first time, there's a nice bright red '70-72 4-4-2 or Cutlass on the street. 

Aquarius - Don't waste your time unless you really, really, really like David Duchovny's smart aleck ways. I only watched because Michaela McManus was in it.

Ozark - Very good, often compared to Breaking Bad. Language can be a bit much but some of it is kind of humorous.

Manhunt Unabomber - The story has been told hundreds of times but I would recommend just watching episode 3. The profiler meets a linguistics  grad student and she schools him on linguistics and Idiolect in regards to the bombers manifesto.

Longmire - Initial seasons were on A&E I believe and Netflix came in and completed the story. Set in modern day Wyoming and has some Cheyenne mythology weaved into the story line.

Y'all now have me interested in OzarkB)

But I'm now all involved in Breaking Bad (again) and am picking up on a lot of little details that sailed right by me first time 'round. BB will prolly keep me busy for at least a couple weeks. 

Not Netflix.  But for those who have the EPIX movie channel:  on Sunday 7/26 at 10 PM EST, EPIX starts a new 6-part documentary series, “Helter Skelter: An American Myth."

The advertising calls it "the most definitive recounting of the Manson Family story ever put on screen, and will challenge everything viewers think they know about this bizarre chapter in American history."  They've tracked down former Manson Family members, cops and others who haven't been seen for 50 years.  So it might be interesting.

EPIX has done some really good documentary series, especially about music.  Most recent was "Laurel Canyon."  Before that EPIX did the great 4-part documentary "Punk," co-produced by Iggy Pop.  That channel also runs a lot of movies every month, often more than 150.