Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cox internet service

Greg Wann

I have cox internet here in Sun City, Az.  My shop is about 200 feet from my house.  I need internet in my shop.  Can I put a splitter in my cable and run it over to my shop and put a router in my shop so that i dont need another account set up?  Any help would be great.

No reason that shouldn't work.

Another option, possibly better, would be to just run an Ethernet cable from your home router to your shop.

Most cable-internet routers have multiple sockets for additional plug-ins (mine here has 4, and I routinely run 2 computers accessing the web through it simultaneously on a single account).

The maximum recommended Ethernet cable run is about 300 feet, so you're fine.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thank you for your help, Ace.  I should be able to get a length of nice quad shield cable that has two ends factory installed.  Add  a splitter on one end then hook this on inside the box where it originally attached and then attach the original cable to the splitter and then I should be good.  Then take my new cable and hook it up to the splitter and I should have a good signal to my shop?  Then hook a router up?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Greg Wann said:

Thank you for your help, Ace.  I should be able to get a length of nice quad shield cable that has two ends factory installed.  Add  a splitter on one end then hook this on inside the box where it originally attached and then attach the original cable to the splitter and then I should be good.  Then take my new cable and hook it up to the splitter and I should have a good signal to my shop?  Then hook a router up?

Yes, that should work fine...but again, if there are Ethernet jacks on your in-house router, all you need is a long Ethernet cable.

Here are what's supposed to be good splitters:

https://www.newswatchngr.com/best-coax-splitters/

You don't need to split the coax, you would them need another modem which is what you're trying to avoid.  Your router connects to a modem.  Run the ethernet as Ace suggested.  Btw I've worked in cable for 40 years.

The router we have is at the far end of the house from the shop.  My wife will complain about some other wire hooked up and then running through two walls and then through the roof then up over the roof and back down.  Then over and into a conduit that has a pull twine to help get it through.  Then I need it to go to the other end of the 40 foot long shop to it's  opposite  corner.  So it's a long way to run.  I dont care if I need another modem as long as this all works.  Need to get a putter to work on a website and operate a ALPS  printer I bought.

7 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

A laptop works ok if the hotspot on my phone is turned on.  With the expectation of multiple people in the shop using computers, I would prefer a steady connection.

I did not realize you would be using multiple computers. Plus, if you have the same situation I do, where I have to use an antique desktop to run my ALPS printer, I understand why a wired connection would be better.

I've been looking around since you brought this up, as I'm going to need to do something similar at my place in Az.

I've come across something called a MoCA (Multimedia over Coax Alliance) adapter that looks like it might solve your problem of needing an additional account to run another cable modem. 

If I'm understanding this correctly (and I may not be, as some of the sites seem to be contradictory), it looks like you can split your coax signal like you want to, run your coax to the shop to a MoCA adapter, and then pull your ethernet out of that to go to your shop computer.

Maybe somebody here can set me straight on this... 

http://www.mocalliance.org/

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-set-up-a-coax-MoCA-network/

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

On 7/23/2020 at 2:28 PM, Kit Basher said:

I did not realize you would be using multiple computers. Plus, if you have the same situation I do, where I have to use an antique desktop to run my ALPS printer, I understand why a wired connection would be better.

Hi Kit basher,

What computer are you using to run your ALPS printer?  We are having a heck of a time trying to get a computer old enough to run the MD 5500 printer I bought.  My wife used to teach grade school.  We had a big bunch of computers we took to Goodwill but some were still around.  We hooked up one that was still around but the fourth time we turned it on it died.  The others are still to new of a operating system.  Brad joined a ALPS forum.  Hopefully he will get some help there.  I bought another 5500 that is supposed to have a operating disk and a manual in English,  it is coming from Japan.

what is the newest operating system that your alps will operate with and what type of cable connects it to the computer?

quick research indicates that 32bit win7is compatible, is this false?

Edited by blunc
question

14 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

Hi Kit basher,

What computer are you using to run your ALPS printer?  We are having a heck of a time trying to get a computer old enough to run the MD 5500 printer I bought.  My wife used to teach grade school.  We had a big bunch of computers we took to Goodwill but some were still around.  We hooked up one that was still around but the fourth time we turned it on it died.  The others are still to new of a operating system.  Brad joined a ALPS forum.  Hopefully he will get some help there.  I bought another 5500 that is supposed to have a operating disk and a manual in English,  it is coming from Japan.

it may be possible, did you do an autopsy to find out what died on the computer?

19 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

Hi Kit basher,

It's interesting you mentioned school computers. The one I am using came from a school surplus sale. They removed the hard drives before they sold them. I bought a new hard drive and installed Windows XP from a disc I had from an old computer. I also had to download the drivers for that brand of computer.

I'm not sure what the most recent OS that will work is, I know XP works. The biggest problem is the printer connection. The ALPS uses the old parallel port connector which most newer computers don't have. I looked at getting a parallel to USB adapter, but the reviews led me to believe they are junk.

I also had to download the ALPS drivers for XP, I found them on the internet somewhere. My ALPS is a 1300, and I don't know if the drivers I have would work for a 5500, but if you can't find the drivers, maybe I can send you what I have.

I hope there's some useful info in there somewhere.

The computer that died was a mac g4 tower.  The last three times we turned it on we had to tap the hard drive to make it function .  Then it seemed to be stuck and a blinking question mark appeared on the screen.  My Buddy Brad Noorgard is a mac guy and used to teach graphic arts at a local college.  Now he manages a yogurtini.  

I was wanting to buy chrome plating equipment but that was wait out of reach.  So I bought a couple of these printers.  One is on it's way.  I bought a 8 direction cnc Sherline setup.  And I bought a Pocket Nc desktop 5 axsis mill machine, it is the V2 50 version.  Both need computers.  I am helping Brad reinvent himself. And add to what we can do for the scale model community.  I also bought a Peopoly Phenom Noir 3D resin printer.

Edited by Greg Wann

6 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

The computer that died was a mac g4 tower.  The last three times we turned it on we had to tap the hard drive to make it function .  Then it seemed to be stuck and a blinking question mark appeared on the screen.  My Buddy Brad Noorgard is a mac guy and used to teach graphic arts at a local college.  Now he manages a yogurtini.  

I was wanting to buy chrome plating equipment but that was wait out of reach.  So I bought a couple of these printers.  One is on it's way.  I bought a 8 direction cnc Sherline setup.  And I bought a Pocket Nc desktop 5 axsis mill machine, it is the V2 50 version.  Both need computers.  I am helping Brad reinvent himself. And add to what we can do for the scale model community.  I also bought a Peopoly Phenom Noir 3D resin printer.

do you know the PC requirements for your new machines?

I suspect that your coax cable at home connects to a router/modem device.  The router is likely the type which provides a WiFi and wired Ethernet connectivity.

The cable modem has a unique address registered with your cable provider, and it is tied to your account.  You cannot just run a coax cable to your shop and connect another modem/router. Your cable provider will not be able to tie that new modem's unique ID to any account, so it will not allow it to come online.

If your current modem/router has a WiFi capability, it will likely allow you to connect your shop computer wirelessly.  If your workshop computer doesn't have a WiFi capability, you can buy a WiFi card for it.  If it is a laptop then it likely has a WiFi capability.  If the distance is too great to get a good WiFi connection then running an Ethernet cable will likely be your only other option.

As far as Alps MicroDry (MD) printers go, I own several, and been using them for around 20 years. I have also been actively involved in an online Yahoo group dedicated to those printers.  When Yahoo abandoned groups we moved to groups.io. https://alps.groups.io/g/ALPS

In "computer years" Alps MD printers are ancient. The latest drivers available for them (verson 2.2.4) were written for Windows XP, however various users managed (after lots of tech hacking) to run them even in Windows 10. But there are some complex steps involved that most non-geek Windows users will find very challenging, and often unsuccessful.

There is a version 2.3.2 driver available which was created for the MD-5500 capability, but it is almost identical to 2.2.4 adding the recognition of the MD-5500 printer. It was only available in Japanese version, but it did get translated into English. Instructions for that driver state that it is compatible with Windows 7. But it is also a bit buggy.

My recommendation is not to try running the Alps printer on any OS newer than XP. Also, to get full functionality, only use the on-motherboard LPT1 (parallel port).  Like I said, these are old-school printers.  I happily run my Alps from a Windows 98SE desktop computer and LPT1 port. Easy and reliable setup.  Actually that computer is dual-boot (the other OS is XP), but I mainly use Windows 98SE.  I do all my graphic artwork  in Corel Draw 10 also installed on that computer.  It is on my home WiFi network so I can move files between it and other computers at home, but I don't let it go outside of my home network (for security reasons).  I've been running this way for 15 years and I'm not planninong on changing anything.

As for where to find an older computer with XP, you should be able to find an older laptop on eBay for short  money. Preferrably with an LPT port. If not USB/parallel adapter can be used, but the setup is more difficult and often  does not provide full bidirectional communication with the printer (so the printer will not provide verbose notifiications about errors, like running out of ink ribbon during printing).

As for Apple Macs, no drivers exist for Alps for any of the new Mac OS, and I believe the older driver only worked with Alps printers equipped with SCSI interface (not the typical parallel port used on Windows PCs).   There are very few Mac users with Alps printers out there.

Edited by peteski

Seems we have two different topics going on here; one for the internet in Greg's shop and two, printing on the ALPS. I've been trying to get Greg set up with his shop internet but am not very knowledgeable on how this could be set up for the best performance possible. Ethernet sounds like it will work but will it handle multiple computers? What is needed to split the ethernet into multiple work stations?

After much research, I found an older Mac running OS 10.1 through 10.4.11 will work with an ALPS so I bought a PowerMac G5 and outfitted it with 2GB RAM and a 1TB hard drive. I then loaded Abobe Creative Suite 4 on it so I can create vector graphics in Illustrator, which I'm very fluent in. I still need the Mac drivers for all of this to work. I hope my research is correct.

If any one can provide knowledgeable assistance, we sure could use your input.