Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jim Rockford's Firebird

Rockford

This is one I did a little while ago. The Firebird from The Rockford Files with James Garner. The  only kit available was the Revell Trans-Am Firebird so I had to get one of them and remove the following:-  4x Wheel flares, trunk spoiler, T-tops, Front fender extractor vents, hole in the hood for the shaker scoop and then add all the chrome trim on the belt line, outer sill, hood rear edge and wheel arches. I also added seat belts because I love the way they go to the rear of the roof on Gen2 F=Bodies

It was a lot of work but it turned out so well, it looks just like the Firebird "Esprit" that he drove at the time. They were actually Formula 400's dressed down to look like Esprits. It puts a smile on my face when I look a Gen2 Firebird of any type. The Trans-Am is a brute, the Esprit looks sleek and nimble and demonstrates what a fantastic piece of design the car was. 

FINISHED 001.jpg

FINISHED 002.jpg

FINISHED 003.jpg

FINISHED 004.jpg

FINISHED 005.jpg

FINISHED 006.jpg

FINISHED 021.jpg

FINISHED 022.jpg

FINISHED 023.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spencer1984 said:

Nicely done, that turned out great! What paints did you use on it?

Spencer, I've always just used rattle cans of car body paint from a local parts supplier, primer and topcoat. I think this was actually a Ford colour. Olympic Gold I think. Now and again I'll use a Tamiya rattle can and I think their surface primer is a fantastic product, but when painting cars there aren't all the colours you want. I've never suffered a reaction  with the car paint and it's so tough once it's cured that you can work on the finished shell without worrying. I have to say I admire airbrush work, and I have an airbrush that I have used ONCE but the amount of work you need to shoot one layer of paint and clean the gun etc.... i just haven't got the patience. Just shaking a rattle can for two minutes is tedious for me!

Thanks everyone for the comments, I'm very proud of my Firebird, don't think i could do it again with my gozzy eyes.

What a great subject to choose.  Super clean build that captures  Rockford's Firebird perfectly.  Well done!   Take a trip down memory lane, I got James Garner's autograph back in 1967, long before Rockford existed.

James Garner appears to have been a very genuine man who didn't seek the limelight. I know his marriage lasted for decades and there was no scandal attached to him. I love the Rockford Files with it's permanent sunshine, the street scenes with the passing traffic, the complex storylines, Jim's constant misfortunes and THAT car. The way he threw it about too because he could drive! In the later episodes you can see the beginning of the end, Datsuns and Mazdas start to appear and you just knew the days of the traditional American car were numbered.