Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jim Rockford's Firebird

Rockford

14 hours ago, Rockford said:

Spencer, I've always just used rattle cans of car body paint from a local parts supplier, primer and topcoat. I think this was actually a Ford colour. Olympic Gold I think. Now and again I'll use a Tamiya rattle can and I think their surface primer is a fantastic product, but when painting cars there aren't all the colours you want. I've never suffered a reaction  with the car paint and it's so tough once it's cured that you can work on the finished shell without worrying. I have to say I admire airbrush work, and I have an airbrush that I have used ONCE but the amount of work you need to shoot one layer of paint and clean the gun etc.... i just haven't got the patience. Just shaking a rattle can for two minutes is tedious for me!

Same here, I only use the airbrush if the color I want isn't available any other way. That looks pretty close, though, I'll have to check it out. The last time I used Dulpi-Color it reacted to the plastic, so I'll have to try a barrier layer first. Thanks!

13 hours ago, restoman said:

Very nice work!!!

I bought the Revell Trans Am, hoping to do the same with it. I hope my build turns out as good as yours.

One of my all-time favourite TV shows  :)

I hope it goes well. Rear spoiler is easy, just sand it off and profile, smooth, scribe trunk lid shut lines. T tops glued in filled and sanded, sanded, sanded, then added drip rails. When you take the arch flares off there's no fender behind which had to be built in plastic card and profiled. I had to add the wheelarch trim in fine plastic strip, then foil it. The hood scoop hole is hard, getting it flush and having the right profile for the ridge down the centre. I used gallons of primer because I'd sand something down using wet and dry and it would look spot on, then I'd prime it and it would look like a relief map of the Himalayas! I get a tremendous kick when I look at this car. Cant believe it was me that did it!

19 hours ago, spencer1984 said:

Same here, I only use the airbrush if the color I want isn't available any other way. That looks pretty close, though, I'll have to check it out. The last time I used Dulpi-Color it reacted to the plastic, so I'll have to try a barrier layer first. Thanks!

Couple of primer coats and a few days to cure and I've had no problems ever. Even Tamiya surface primer  has worked ok with it. 

• 1 year later...

Hi Steve,

Sorry to bump an old thread. I just stumbled upon this great build. I found the same Revell model kit in a local hobby store the other week, and have been considering attempting this build as well.

I was wondering where you sourced the Pontiac Rallye II wheels from. Do you remember which kit?

I'm fairly new to car modeling, but I'm very excited for this as a long term project!

Very nice! I have one of these in the works myself from an old MPC kit. Luckily the rear deck spoiler and fender flares were separate but still had to close up the T tops and shaker hood hole. Not sure where your wheels came from but I got mine including tires from Fireball Resin. Great stuff! Your build gives me inspiration to get back on to mine! 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dave72 said:

Very nice! I have one of these in the works myself from an old MPC kit. Luckily the rear deck spoiler and fender flares were separate but still had to close up the T tops and shaker hood hole. Not sure where your wheels came from but I got mine including tires from Fireball Resin. Great stuff! Your build gives me inspiration to get back on to mine! 

Thank you for the reference! Would you happen to have a photo of how the Fireball Resin tires look with the MPC body?

15 hours ago, RetroModeler said:

Thank you for the reference! Would you happen to have a photo of how the Fireball Resin tires look with the MPC body?

No problem. Give me a little bit and I’ll dig that out. I put it on the back burner a while back. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RetroModeler said:

Much appreciated. Thank you Dave 👍

@Rockford if by chance you see this post, I'm also still curious on what wheels you used here

Oooh it's a long time now but I think they were off a Revell '70 Chevelle. They're not quite right but with a bit of work you can get them near enough. Pontiac's trim ring was bigger and more bulbous than Chevy and I've never seen a set in kit form, though I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable members will know for sure. 

Thanks for the comments. I love Jim's Firebird. I lose track of the plot because I'm too busy watching the car! It's probably the most beautiful car I've ever seen. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rockford said:

Oooh it's a long time now but I think they were off a Revell '70 Chevelle. They're not quite right but with a bit of work you can get them near enough. Pontiac's trim ring was bigger and more bulbous than Chevy and I've never seen a set in kit form, though I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable members will know for sure. 

Thanks for the comments. I love Jim's Firebird. I lose track of the plot because I'm too busy watching the car! It's probably the most beautiful car I've ever seen. 

Thank you! Those look like a match!!

I will do some more digging around to see if I find some Rallye II wheels that match. I'm mostly concerned with the proportions, and the 70 Chevelle rims seem to have the right overall appearance.

Rockford's Firebird is definitely a beauty. I always felt it should get more recognition 😁