Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Oldsmobile 442

doorsovdoon

Tried doing some chrome foiling last night and again was a total disaster. I just can't seem to work with it no mater how hard I try. It wrinkles, it lays down where I don't want it to, and because I end up messing with it for too long it gets dull and tarnished. So, off it came and out came the Molotow pen.

20200725_052012_LLS.JPG

On final assembly last night, I found the radiator support badly interferes with the front grill and bumper. It stops the bumper from sitting nicely to the front wing cut outs. Because it wouldn't sit flush, it also left a sizeable gap between the top of the grill and the leading edge of the hood. I tried shaving, I tried cutting, and even cutting bits out completely to make it smaller, nothing other than removing it would allow the grill and bumper assembly to fit right. Whoever designed this kit really got the tolerances badly wrong on this part. Anyway, it doesn't look too bad without it, I'll post pictures in completed model thread.

20200725_075509_LLS.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2020 at 11:34 PM, Slotto said:

Nice build. This kit got me back in the hobby about 4 years ago. It was 7 dollars at Ollies. The only problem I had with the build was the wheels and tires that came with it.

Thanks, Steve. The stock '76 Torino got me back into modelling. Yeah, the wheels and tyres looked very small for the size of this kit, one of the reasons I changed them on this... and they look cool:D

• 1 year later...
On 7/23/2020 at 11:20 AM, doorsovdoon said:

Finished making the hub caps last night, they turned out great. I've never made parts this small before, lol. The wheels I've chosen to use don't fit the back plate discs very well, they stick out, so I just cut the raised locating ring off and now fit ok, there's still room for the little disc that locks the wheels to the hub. I had to take the paint down on the car as I got a strange mottled effect, I painted it outside last night and it was extremely damp, probably moisture in the air. Small potatoes as they say. 

20200723_074359_LLS.JPG

20200723_160843_LLS.JPG

20200723_074603_LLS.JPG

What paint/color did you use on the interior?

On 10/9/2021 at 12:59 AM, TransAmMike said:

Just re-looked in on this one. Great work and pretty interior I'd dull the interior a bit.

Thanks Mike. I remember I was going to dull it down with some satin clear but I completely forgot before I glued the interior bucket into the body.