Model Cars Magazine Forum

51 Anglia street rod

Steve H

Hi all, first time posting a WIP. 

I have always liked the Anglia’s but thought they would look cooler with slightly wider rear fenders. Also wanted a modern looking, low rod rather than the gasser look. So here goes...

- cut off rear fenders and grafted on 37 Ford fenders

- headlights are from ‘40 Ford pickup 

- there will be small, flush turn signals just under headlights

- dash is also from ‘37 Ford (modified) added a nav screen from a die cast. 
- chassis is totally reworked to accommodate 4 link rear, front struts from pro stock

- seats from Dobberton J-2000

- hood modified to not be a flip nose

- wheels from the Tijuana Taxi kit, rear tires are small rears from sprint car, parts box fronts and disc brakes

- Chev motor will have a resin whipple blower52F93879-DAC2-4BA4-B210-BEE8CF89DCE8.thumb.jpeg.639e63156461be0b5fcf5f07ef63c2ca.jpeg

- colour will be Candy apple red, interior will be a tan colour 

I don’t do as much at the hobby desk during summer, so might be a while before it’s finished. Curious to hear any thoughts so far. Thanks86BDD747-7139-4251-B745-837E0DD84C49.thumb.jpeg.eda09207a0e710e0e909001952210ae6.jpeg918D7F10-ABE9-4031-A0A6-EFBBCD972817.thumb.jpeg.0a0dfab6aa9f8fd58736bfbfa4c84665.jpeg15217621-4BC1-47EC-ABE7-22E5FCCA6FD5.thumb.jpeg.a92913d7d1d195574671dc8cac660c71.jpeg01953E89-D34F-422A-8A59-605ACDAE5AA9.thumb.jpeg.7f6d6dec692d4db096debdb410f3cd04.jpeg

Thanks for the input guys. Pink bits are from the Hay's pro street T-bird. 

I played with a few different headlight combos, I liked them low. Probably because the stock ones were mounted so high and I wanted different.

Steve

I finished a much more sedate version about forty years ago, using a hoped up OHV 4 banger and like yours, I changed the hood to a lift off design. 

One thing that gave me fits was attaching the trunk lid.  Revell used small lugs on the trunk floor/frame section that means that the alignment of your trunk lid is entirely dependent on the final location of the frame. Next time ( I am planning an accurate Skippers Critter replica similar to the one Tim Boyd did in a magazine feature years ago) I will be hinging the trunk lid to the body as it should be and adjusting the trunk floor to suit.

I think you have achieved a very tough stance with your work so far.

Cheers

Alan

Good work Steve. The Anglia is iconic in the UK. I passed a 1:1 one on the motorway yesterday, and thought it looks great except the rear is too narrow. Your idea of fitting 37 rear fenders is brilliant. They look so right on the Anglia. I think the headlight down low look cool too. Thanks for sharing your WIP.

This is going to be a very nice looking street rod. I like the way you pulled bits and pieces from here and there and it all just looks like that's the way it always was. Perfect color selection to show the body lines. 

Steve's Anglia Street Rod is looking good so far and has the makings of a fantastic build. Donor kit not mentioned, but guess it is the Revell Skippers Critter Drag racer.    I think they did a van version as well, the Simple Simon Pie Van.

The old Anglias and Populars with similar body were called the Ford Puddle Jumpers back in the day in the UK.      Have a look and see what a UK Modeller Rod Knott did to this kit. Pics could be better but you get the idea.

DSCF5692.JPG

DSCF5693.JPG

DSCF5694.JPG

Always nice to see a Pop being built up.

Nice mods.

Noel, the Anglia has been repopped  a couple of times, so has the van version, very old school kits  but the only game in town if you want to build a Pop, just need a Rover V8....

Edited by dublin boy

Thanks for all the input guys. Yes, it is indeed based on the "Skippers Critter". They are super fun cars, forgot they were a UK thing. As far as the doors, I thought about suicide doors, but I THINK... they might stay as they are. Not quite decided yet though. 

Noel, I love your version, looks great.

Jim, I will try to get a couple of chassis photos soon. 

Cgeers, Steve

Really enjoy the body changes you've made to the car Steve.  The headlights look much better down low IMO and the rear fenders really change the look of the car (for the better).   Awesome start!  cheers, tim

Tim, any compliment coming from you is graciously accepted. That Bantam of yours is one of the most incredible builds I have seen. Well deserved top honours at dscv 16, congratulations. Thanks for the kind words all. I will try for an update next week.

Chees, Steve

This is absolutely RAD! So neat to see an Anglia done as a contemporary pro-street rod instead of a vintage Gasser. It seems like back in the 90’s there were quite a few being built and shown in Street Rodder magazine, my favorite being Mark Weiss’.  I tried to do a Thames panel back then as a teen but the chassis was a mess. Would love to see a chassis shot of yours to see how you handled things...

Hi guys, thanks for the interest in my Anglia project. 
Not too much progress, but here’s an update. 

- Finished the recess for back license plate 

- Some progress on motor, whipper blower installed on motor. 

- Chassis painted. Interior will eventually be flocked with embossing powder. I have used embossing powder for a few years now and think it looks great. A big thanks to Steve Guthmiller for sharing his incredible interiors, and showing the various colours available. I bought a set and have many choices now instead of painting the powder. Thanks Steve!!  Still lots of detail work to do here. 

- Suspension is painted and ready for install

I thought I was going to give the car it’s final primer coat today, but... after much thought, and a little nudge from Martin, I think I  am going to add hidden hinges, no door handles, and suicide doors. I have hinged many trunks, but no doors. I have looked at a few tutorials and plan on tackling doors by next weekend. 

Alan, I also am going to add trunk hinges on inside of body rather than on chassis. I will have photos on next update.

Chassis, as you can tell is quite modified. I added the trans tunnel from Dobberton J2000 chassis. Narrowed rear of chassis by 14mm, (white piece in photos) widened fenders to suit. 

The motor will be fairly basic. I will add ignition wires and probably fuel lines to the fuel  rails on the whipper blower. The belt for the blower will be made from masking tape. 

Thanks for looking, Steve

6D61077B-B4C6-4669-B982-E8BB4DFFFB8D.thumb.jpeg.8471516193cd5a8b1b03a3e81c60b0dd.jpeg

8891A342-6DA9-4823-B731-77946A8F46E5.thumb.jpeg.edea07dffc00b2366dfb4de10b15fdd7.jpeg

9E674C1B-BE99-4141-83C2-363ADD0D6DF1.thumb.jpeg.36d67c45de6d3e91802f50ffa464a0e3.jpeg