Model Cars Magazine Forum

51 Anglia street rod

Steve H

Steve. It was a guy named Rod Knott that built the bog standard Anglia who's pictures I posted that I took at a model show.          Forgot to mention that my late Dad's first car was one of these in Fern Green.

Your rod is coming on really well and look forward to seeing more of the build as it develops.

Shay from Dublin....I think that South Eastern Finecast makes a Rover V8 engine in white metal if you are looking for one.

4 hours ago, dublin boy said:

Thanks Noel, it would be the classic English Rod.

there's resin rover v8s out there too, I have one in my stash and they pop up occaisonally on ebay. its an sd1 version in 1/24 and a little rough but a little work should and it should clean up to be a decent motor

17 hours ago, stitchdup said:

there's resin rover v8s out there too, I have one in my stash and they pop up occaisonally on ebay. its an sd1 version in 1/24 and a little rough but a little work should and it should clean up to be a decent motor

Any pics Noel?

Thanks for the comments guys. No bench time yet this week, still hoping to hinge those doors by end of weekend.

Leslie, where in Scotland are you? My parents are both from Glasgow. This is fun having the United Kingdom gang watching.

I will try for an update within the week. 

Cheers, Steve

Hi guys, as expected, not much time at the hobby desk this week. I did make some progress on the hinges though. I bent up a couple of hinges and will attach them with “u” channel. Not very realistic I know, but functional. For a first effort at door hinges, I am pleased so far. Hoping to have time to tackle the door side of hinges this coming week. There is not a lot of width to work with on these door panels, and adding width will likely cause conflict with seats. I already found the narrowest seats I could and they barely squeeze in. It will work out, just be a bit a of fiddlin. 
Allen, I made a pair  of blocks to hinge trunk door from body, rather than chassis. I think they will work fine and won’t really be visible once assembly is complete. 
Dash is almost complete now. Air cleaner is ready to attach to blower intake, steering column close to completion. I use pins with a small piece of wire insulation for turn signals and tilt. 

I will tackle the body work on the doors and finish the door hinge work next. Then start assembling chassis, interior and paint body.... sounds easy. 

Thanks for your interest, comments welcome. 
Cheers, Steve

1718EFE0-0753-407D-BD3A-67402995BB32.thumb.jpeg.d48e5d5b88af7ff45ba1d0e6c528589c.jpeg

On 8/7/2020 at 1:26 AM, Steve H said:

Thanks for the comments guys. No bench time yet this week, still hoping to hinge those doors by end of weekend.

Leslie, where in Scotland are you? My parents are both from Glasgow. This is fun having the United Kingdom gang watching.

I will try for an update within the week. 

Cheers, Steve

The orkney islands, right at the top (and not in a box of the aberdeen coast which really wrecked an oilmans plan for a bridge)

Les, I expect you get to see the Northern Lights regularly in your neck of the woods in Scotland! Living about 25 miles north of London I have never seen that spectacular show of nature.

Steve, what transmission will be going on to your Anglia?  Most of the Anglia/Pops I have seen at shows over here in the UK have Jag rear suspension fitted.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

Loving this build Steve !

You create such clean parts, dash and engine looks amazing and I like the colour matched air cleaner cover ! !

Every time your hanging those smooth doors I can hear you cursing me for suggesting it,  but believe me it's worth it in the end ! !

On 8/11/2020 at 4:43 PM, Lowlife ! ! said:

Loving this build Steve !

You create such clean parts, dash and engine looks amazing and I like the colour matched air cleaner cover ! !

Every time your hanging those smooth doors I can hear you cursing me for suggesting it,  but believe me it's worth it in the end ! !

Hi Martin, actually, I think I may have cursed you once.... or more. Also very thankful for the input! I had considered doing hidden hinges and maybe suicide style, but likely would have chickened out without the nudge. And yes, it will definitely be worth it in the end.  So thanks...I think. 

No hobby desk time yet this week.

Cheers, Steve

Hi all, 

Not much desk time, but a small update. Managed to get most of the driver side door done, inside and out. In the photo, before mods on left, after on right. On the modified inner door, there will be power window/lock switches once complete. Had to add some styrene strips on inside of inner door panels to thicken them to make room for hinges. 
Hoping to have time this week to get passenger side done, then, prime/sand, prime/sand...

Thanks for your interest. 
Cheers, Steve

7F137574-B429-4C31-9315-C5BED9261466.thumb.jpeg.9e53842c24f23896e4e8b6fd60c141be.jpeg

5B68F40A-34BF-4AE2-8203-C3872F136D4E.thumb.jpeg.7f2d55d35316d95cc0dcab7e741b200d.jpeg