Model Cars Magazine Forum

First in-depth look at Round 2's new AMT 1970 1/2 Camaro Z-28 "Full Bumper" (non-RS) kit....

tim boyd

Welcome as you join me and others viewing these photos as among the first "civilians" (non-Round 2 employees and contractors) to open the box of their new AMT 1970 1/2 "Full Bumper" (non-RS) Camaro Z-28 kit.

My view has long been that this basic kit tool was among the best to emerge from the "John Mueller and team" product development era at AMT-Ertl. And although I am not, and never have been, a Chevy fan, I have always felt that the 1970 1/2 and 1971 Camaros were the very best Camaros of all time, and equally among the best pony cars of any make for all time.

While others may see the above differently, I think it goes without saying that there is a great deal of interest in this new kit release. It would seem that adapting the non-RS (non split bumper) front end to the AMT-Ertl Z-28 tool would be an easy thing to do, but due to differences in how kits were developed back then (c. 2000) vs, today, and given today's high expectations for fit/finish of model kits, this was a major challenge to the Round 2 team.

Click this link and then use the "Roll View" feature below to see my comments on the 34 overall and detailed images and pictures.

This is a very well done addition to the Round 2 kit catalog, and overall, is the best execution yet of the AMT-Ertl tool dating back twenty years now. I highly recommend it for Chevy fans and for anyone who enjoys building muscle cars of any make.

And thanks for looking! TIM

Full Disclosure Note: This production sample was sent to me by Round 2 personnel at their discretion. There was no implied or actual promise of any publicity for the kit by myself, nor any financial exchange by either party.

PS - check back later when I will post overall and detailed images of my prior two assemblies of the original AMT-Ertl Z-28 kit...

PPS - if you have any questions, please post them in the comments section below the applicable photo and I will do my best to answer them post-haste.

DSC 1133

I'm glad to you got your's Tim. Hopefully Model Roundup will be sending the one I preordered soon now. Even though I like the 2nd generation Camaros with the RS front end better than the full bumper non RS Camaros. I really like the looks of the full bumper non RSs too. And it's been a long time since we've been offered this style on this generation Camaro kit. 

I also agree with your comment on the Ertl-Mueller team Camaro. I liked the one I built several years ago. It's a very nice kit. And I'm expecting nothing less from the Round 2 version. I hoping and assuming they did not lose the RS version, to bring us this kit. And I'm also hoping, that with their announcement of the upcoming Bond '71 Mustang, they will put the time and money into fixing that front end so it will be correct now. 

Edited by unclescott58

One small note from the photo commentary.  They didn't modify the "old" tool's front core piece, they designed an entirely new one. If you look at the Z/28 and/or B-M kit you'll notice there is a seam line that runs along the front edge of the fascia that goes down the sides of the headlights and then across the entire top of front end directly "above" the headlights/turn signals/grille surround.  That is where the top of the mold separates from the front core piece.  Part of the issues with re-tooling this full bumper kit was making the newly tooled front core piece actually fit into the rest of the tooling.  As they explained in their live stream the top of the front fenders are not exactly what one might call uniform side to side, so when a new piece was made that was uniformly shaped - there was a miss fit between that front piece and the fenders.  The lower fascia piece has always been a separate part, so tooling a new one for the full bumper was quite simple.

If they were to have modified the tooling instead of creating that new core piece they would not only "destroy" the Z/28, but also prevent the B-M version from being reissued.

Thanks for the info. I was going to buy one anyway, but this removes all doubts about what the kit is. I did notice on the chrome trees a couple of iteams that were closed off so you have to wonder what else might be coming in the future. 

So who will be the first to convert it to a split bumper? ?

I know I had trouble getting the front end, especially the headlights, to look convincing on the old kit. To my eyes, it doesnt look like the headlights have changed much?

It is nice to finally have a full front bumper kit! And glad they included those tires! 

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Excellent review and pics, Tim, answered just about every question I had. 

About the only improvement I could suggest would be, I wish they had offered both the small and large rear spoilers. 

Look again.  Both are there.

34 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Look again.  Both are there.

I looked twice more and I still don't see it. It's not on the instructions, either, and the decals don't seem to make provision for it if it's there. :wacko:

19 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I looked twice more and I still don't see it. It's not on the instructions, either, and the decals don't seem to make provision for it if it's there. :wacko:

Definitely looks like just one. If you look at Tim’s pics, photo DSC-1117 shows the small spoiler on the parts tree and the comment mentions how the Z/28 kit has the small spoiler and the B/M his the large spoiler, as they always have IIRC. 

Edited by Rob Hall

2 hours ago, espo said:

Thanks for the info. I was going to buy one anyway, but this removes all doubts about what the kit is. I did notice on the chrome trees a couple of iteams that were closed off so you have to wonder what else might be coming in the future. 

David...thanks....check out the caption below that picture for an explanation of what those missing parts were....TIM 

4 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

One small note from the photo commentary.  They didn't modify the "old" tool's front core piece, they designed an entirely new one. If you look at the Z/28 and/or B-M kit you'll notice there is a seam line that runs along the front edge of the fascia that goes down the sides of the headlights and then across the entire top of front end directly "above" the headlights/turn signals/grille surround.  That is where the top of the mold separates from the front core piece.  Part of the issues with re-tooling this full bumper kit was making the newly tooled front core piece actually fit into the rest of the tooling.  As they explained in their live stream the top of the front fenders are not exactly what one might call uniform side to side, so when a new piece was made that was uniformly shaped - there was a miss fit between that front piece and the fenders.  The lower fascia piece has always been a separate part, so tooling a new one for the full bumper was quite simple.

If they were to have modified the tooling instead of creating that new core piece they would not only "destroy" the Z/28, but also prevent the B-M version from being reissued.

Thanks James....so if I understand you correctly, this suggests that the option of reissuing the old RS/Split Bumper versions remains, by simply substituting back the old core piece for the new one?  Makes sense to me...and I hope you are correct.  Thx again...TIM 

I've always preferred the full bumper over the split bumper. I like the grille, bumper and placement of the turn signals much better. My only complaint is I wish it had more modern wheels and tires as an option. That's something I wish both Round2 and Revell would do. 

20 minutes ago, Deuces ll said:

How's about a 1/8th scale kit????..... 

Think about what the price point of a 1/12 kit is .... you really think there’s a market for an all new 1/8 scale American anything ??? I’d say you’re sadly mistaken , and that’s coming from someone who LOVES large scale 

10 minutes ago, Deuces ll said:

Lots of folks like Camaros... I think they would sell.....

Do they like them to the tune of $199 or so?

The U.S. MSRP for one of the Tamiya 1/12 Porsches is $185, with the Japanese sale prices being somewhere in the $135 range. That's for a tooling that's as old as I am, and been issued at least twice before. The new tool Italeri Fiats run in the $160 range and the reissues of the older F1 cars fly close to $200.