Model Cars Magazine Forum

First in-depth look at Round 2's new AMT 1970 1/2 Camaro Z-28 "Full Bumper" (non-RS) kit....

tim boyd

20 hours ago, Deuces ll said:

Seems like they have the intake manifold painted engine color on the "box art" side panel.... The intake was the cast aluminum hi rise same as the LT-1 and 302 Z/28... It was never painted engine color....

Not a kit problem a builder problem.  Just paint yours correctly. 

Edited by Classicgas

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Nice update.

Too bad they didn't correct the rear 1/4 panels while they were at it.

Steve,,,,I recall from years ago a view that the body had accuracy issues of some sort, perhaps it was what you are seeing.  Can you remind me (us?) of what your issue is with the rear quarters?   Thanks....TIM 

34 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Steve,,,,I recall from years ago a view that the body had accuracy issues of some sort, perhaps it was what you are seeing.  Can you remind me (us?) of what your issue is with the rear quarters?   Thanks....TIM 

There's a "trough" at the top of the 1/4 panels that shouldn't be there. It kicks up slightly before dropping off Instead of flowing out smoothly then dropping off as it should. 

The trough or kick-up is easily seen in these pics of your orange/red Camaro

DSC 0064DSC 0070

Here's a few shots of the area on the real cars,, Hopefully, at least one of these pics will be visible.

6043-Rear.jpg

MAZ-127-BU-3_0.jpg

1970 Chevrolet Camaro RS Z28 | F20 | Kissimmee 2019

Just now, Mark said:

All are the same kit.  The red "box art car" looks like a 1/18 scale diecast.  RC2 did that when they had the same subject in both scales.  There was a '69 4-4-2 kit done that way also.

Thanks Mark! Are they all the "good" kit? The headlight buckets in the second one looks different than Tim Boyd's pic of the full bumper kit.

Thanks.

All of them are the newer/better kit.  Ertl/RC2 never did a Baldwin-Motion version of the earlier kit.  I did offer the B/M hood and rear spoiler for the earlier kit, but that was long before the newer one was available.

15 hours ago, Can-Con said:

There's a "trough" at the top of the 1/4 panels that shouldn't be there. It kicks up slightly before dropping off Instead of flowing out smoothly then dropping off as it should. 

The trough or kick-up is easily seen in these pics of your orange/red Camaro

DSC 0064DSC 0070

Here's a few shots of the area on the real cars,, Hopefully, at least one of these pics will be visible.

6043-Rear.jpg

MAZ-127-BU-3_0.jpg

1970 Chevrolet Camaro RS Z28 | F20 | Kissimmee 2019

Thanks Steve....I agree....unlike some kit with major body proportions errors, this one should be a pretty easy fix for anyone who is experienced with doing model car body work....TIM 

7 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Thanks Steve....I agree....unlike some kit with major body proportions errors, this one should be a pretty easy fix for anyone who is experienced with doing model car body work....TIM 

Definitely easy to fix. Fill the trough , sand down the ridge or a bit of both. 

18 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Definitely easy to fix. Fill the trough , sand down the ridge or a bit of both. 

I'm gonna see if the the edge of the "trough" can be brought down. If not, I'll fill it. 

I'm doing a green one in polished plastic so filling isn't an option there. I'll have to either take it down or live with it.