Model Cars Magazine Forum

First in-depth look at Round 2's extensive revamp of MPC Grumpy's Vega Toy

tim boyd

The following 48 photos and commentary/captions at the link below show the new kit contents, including many extra parts and the newly tooled body, then provides a definitive confirmation of the extensive rumors of what will come next from the revised kit tooling.

Finally, a series of images compares the new kit to the original early 1970's original issue kit.

In its entirety, this kit update and revision thoroughly exceeded my own expectations. Check it out and form your own opinion!

And thanks for looking! TIM

DSC 0021

Just one thing...the original 1973 kit did include side glass.  MPC was hit and miss with that...the Vegas, Pintos, and Mustangs (the '72 as well as the Mustang IIs) had side glass.  The '72 Butch Leal Duster doesn't have it, not sure about the other Dusters.  The '73 Landy Challenger didn't have side glass either.

Very very most extremely way cool, and also badass! I've been planning to build Toys II through VIII (except maybe VII), now I see I'm gonna have to add IX and maybe X to the lineup. 

I can see a lot of these being built as street freaks and pro streets, too. I'll be buying at least a couple! 

Also, the BBC might not be completely inaccurate. I believe the Toys book makes mention that Grump would swap in a BBC "mountain motor" for match racing--I'll have to doublecheck on that. 

Edited by Snake45

3 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Check it out and form your own opinion!

Much appreciate your review Tim!   I also concur ...."Well done Round 2!"  ...now that's how you reissue a kit!

Kevin

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Just one thing...the original 1973 kit did include side glass.  MPC was hit and miss with that...the Vegas, Pintos, and Mustangs (the '72 as well as the Mustang IIs) had side glass.  The '72 Butch Leal Duster doesn't have it, not sure about the other Dusters.  The '73 Landy Challenger didn't have side glass either.

Thanks Mark...before typing the caption, I checked my original kit release and there was no side glass, and it was also missing the instruction sheet.  I'll make the change in the applicable captions....Best...TIM

51 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

I wonder if there is enough in this kit that Round 2 could easily convert it into a showroom stock Vega? Looking at Tim's photos, it looks like it might be possible. I hope so. 

Round 2 isn't going to do it, but someone wanting a stock body could probably use this one as a starting point.  It would be easier and probably cheaper to search out an original kit or promo though.

14 minutes ago, Mark said:

Round 2 isn't going to do it, but someone wanting a stock body could probably use this one as a starting point.  It would be easier and probably cheaper to search out an original kit or promo though.

Yeah, lots of different parts.  Body, hood, chassis,  interior tub, seats, engine, wheels and tires, etc.  

50 minutes ago, Mark said:

I just checked completed sales on eBay--a LOT of nice Vega promos changed hands in the last 30 days for about the retail price of a current model kit--or less. That's a good deal in my book. If you want a stock Vega, that's the way to go. 

Thanks for the review.   I remember Grumpy's Toys and Dyno Don, maybe Gapp & Roush from my youth.  I'll probably get one of these and if they do a Pinto, will have it as well.  I can live without all the perfect accuracy.  Mine will be built to be seen on a shelf ina case - no opening panels.  Any representation of an engine will work.  It's all abou thte body and wheels really, in my world.  

I am very excited, but after seeing your review I wonder why would they make a one piece [suspension included] chassis when the opportunity to make one with separate and accurate pieces was in front of them. And then include pieces that will [for me] go in the recycling bin.

Did i miss something? Or is the chassis they are using old as well? Just seems a no brainer.

I'll get a couple of course.

8 hours ago, Dragline said:

I am very excited, but after seeing your review I wonder why would they make a one piece [suspension included] chassis when the opportunity to make one with separate and accurate pieces was in front of them. And then include pieces that will [for me] go in the recycling bin.

Did i miss something? Or is the chassis they are using old as well? Just seems a no brainer.

I'll get a couple of course.

The Chassis is Old as well. I would Imagine cost of revamping an entire old kit, along with the Time it would take to do that, makes it Prohibitive.