Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Chevrolet Impala 4 Door Sedan


doorsovdoon
 Share

Recommended Posts

Primer the body then spray a base coat of enamel or lacquer. Pick a dark red brown or a suitable color for rust corrosion. Use an acrylic for the top coat. I'd go with Tamiya thinned with their X-20A Acrylic thinner. Then use Windex and water with an old brush to scrub and chip the paint. That way you can expose the rusty base without harming it.

G

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Agent G said:

Primer the body then spray a base coat of enamel or lacquer. Pick a dark red brown or a suitable color for rust corrosion. Use an acrylic for the top coat. I'd go with Tamiya thinned with their X-20A Acrylic thinner. Then use Windex and water with an old brush to scrub and chip the paint. That way you can expose the rusty base without harming it.

G

I've already painted it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Looks good, still tempted to weather it now?

I thought of you last night, when I had some paint peel off my odd-panel Datsun project which has involved a lot of masking.

Paint peel and reaction is the worst:( Anyway, not having done a weathered model before and being a little bit on edge with what happened regarding the black primer, I'm strongly considering doing this as factory fresh. The blue I used here was just a random can of paint I grabbed just to get it over with, it could have been pink for all I cared last night! ..but I had no idea how well this colour would suit the car. I may leave the weathering idea for another build and just do what I do best while I'm ahead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Maindrian Pace said:

I like the color. I'd be tempted to build it nice rather than weathered at this point.

I concur..looks like a late 60s Chevy color.  Stock w/ redlines and hubcaps or whitewalls and hubcaps would look good, IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's the thing, I don't have any stock wheels or lined tyres, only the steels with no hubcaps and plain tyres. I can do resin copies of the caps but I don't think they will suit this car. At this point I'm thinking of doing a white vinyl roof, white interior and Cragars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Deuces ll said:

Yep!... Make it a kid's car that he just got out the paint shop and added new Cragars that he saved up for.....???

He's one lucky kid! haha,

Edited by doorsovdoon
Spelling mistake
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2020 at 4:04 PM, doorsovdoon said:

I agree, also the arrow cut outs all point in the same direction, so one side will always look wrong.

The wheels on the TV car are really cheap wheels. I remember back in the '90s you could buy then here in Canada for about 49.95 a peice. Less than 28 Pounds. LOL  

Summit Racing has them in their catalog now for $106 USD. for the 15 inch sizes.  Still almost the cheapest aftermarket wheel you can get.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Can-Con said:

The wheels on the TV car are really cheap wheels. I remember back in the '90s you could buy then here in Canada for about 49.95 a peice. Less than 28 Pounds. LOL  

Summit Racing has them in their catalog now for $106 USD. for the 15 inch sizes.  Still almost the cheapest aftermarket wheel you can get.

I used to work in a scrap yard in the 90's and we had piles of them we would sell cheap to the Autograss boys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Engine nearly finished. I brush painted the engine cos I didn't have any aerosol, it took days to give it a decent coat. These Humbrol paints seem to be a lot thinner than I remember when I last used them back in the 90's. Maybe they contained lead back then, Lol!

20200807_152550_LLS.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

That's what I'm thinking:) The tyres on the left of those are a little fatter, subtle fatties on the back maybe? Love this hobby, haha!

I thought about using whitewalls and the stock wheel covers from the Revell 66 El Camino. I'm still not sure, but I think I'll go with black steel wheels with dog dishes, or maybe even baby moons for the high school kids car look.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

I only now noticed that the front seat has a different pattern to the back? 

20200807_152438_LLS.JPG

You are correct. The TV car had that so Round 2 copies it. Someone on the board here is resin casting a corrected front bench.  Or you could go with some odd bucket seats like a young guy may add

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's cool, be nice to have matching seats. I do have the custom seats left over from the '70 Pontiac I quite fancy, I may put them in as I really like them, but I don't know yet. I'll do some test fitting with them an see how it looks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RichCostello said:

I thought about using whitewalls and the stock wheel covers from the Revell 66 El Camino. I'm still not sure, but I think I'll go with black steel wheels with dog dishes, or maybe even baby moons for the high school kids car look.

Are you currently building this model? Would love to see where you go with it. I Googled the 66 El Camino and those wheels are very nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...