Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 90 Ernie Irvin Olds

SCRWDRVR

Nice build.

I just finished this same kit last week; My first build of an AMT stock car kit. Unlike you I had no decal issues, which was a welcome surprise with 30 year old decals. I also managed to get the front of the body to sit nicely low by making sure that the radiator cleared the upper  radiator panel. I do wonder what vintage chassis AMT used to produce those kits. The front shocks are in an incorrect position and the dashboard layout isn't the same as the pics on the box of the real car.

What paint did you use for your build? I used Tamiya TS 34 which is very close to correct. I have an old bottle of TruMatch Kodak Yellow that I used to touch up a few small areas and you can't really see a difference.

Edited by ZTony8

On 7/27/2020 at 12:45 AM, ZTony8 said:

Nice build.

I just finished this same kit last week; My first build of an AMT stock car kit. Unlike you I had no decal issues, which was a welcome surprise with 30 year old decals. I also managed to get the front of the body to sit nicely low by making sure that the radiator cleared the upper  radiator panel. I do wonder what vintage chassis AMT used to produce those kits. The front shocks are in an incorrect position and the dashboard layout isn't the same as the pics on the box of the real car.

What paint did you use for your build? I used Tamiya TS 34 which is very close to correct. I have an old bottle of TruMatch Kodak Yellow that I used to touch up a few small areas and you can't really see a difference.

Thank you, AMT's decals really are not the best I think I would have been more surprised if I didn't have an issue with them. The chassis' definitely are some what generic since back then the dash like you mentioned didn't match but each driver had there own dash laid out the way they wanted it, I would be interested to find out what they took it from also. 

The paint is a testors paint I tripped across in Ollie's one day and it had the orange shade to the yellow like the Kodak color has and I thought that would be perfect. I'm not sure how close it is but I thought it was pretty good (especially for a buck lol)

22 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Thank you...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 7:51 PM, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Nice job! Ernie was one of my favorite drivers, and for some reason I always liked the Kodak scheme.

Thank you, I've always liked him as well. It always amazed me how little Kodak changed the paint scheme though the years also...