Model Cars Magazine Forum

1937 Ford Sedan Retro Rod

Dennis Lacy

UPDATE!

Put in some work today. Got the engine completely assembled and wired. Very pleased with the results! The distributor is a Spalding Flamethrower dual-coil unit (no, it's not a megneto!) from AMT's parts pack Pontiac 421 which I had to drill 5x on each side and glue wires into. No fuel plumbing this time around as the shear number of carburetors have enough presence. I did add a dip stick handle, though! I also glued the mufflers to the exhaust pipes and blacked-out the tips.

1598759244512-vi.jpg

1598759271602-vi.jpg

1598759256924-vi.jpg

1598759263922-vi.jpg

1598759266477-vi.jpg

1598759286852-vi.jpg

1598759273798-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!

Got a little more done on this project. The frame is now painted and clear coated, the interior pieces are in color just needing some detail painting and the body and related pieces are in primer. Forgot to take pictures of the body but everyone here should know what primer looks like by now! If you take a second look at the interior panels folks who are familiar with this kit will note the I removed those God-awful molded-in 80's Lincoln Town Car looking door pull straps. I also removed the God-awful giant head rests from the front seats leaving them looking more vintage. I kept the stereo and speakers, though, because this is a retro-rod after all, not a hard-core era correct traditional car. 

1600056251993-vi.jpg

1600056261142-vi.jpg

Hoping to have the body in color soon...

Giving me lots of ideas for my next build of one of these kits, Dennis.  I built my first one when it came out - pink, with graphics and billet wheels - hey, it was the eighties!  I particularly like the way you backdated the engine - it will totally change the feel of the whole car!

Cheers

Alan

UPDATE!

Today I was able to sit down and assemble the entire chassis. For the most part things went good. I was expecting to get frustrated by the fiddly front suspension but it turned out to be no problem at all. Two problems I did have was that the drivers side exhaust pipe connection came up a bit short where the two pieces are supposed to overlap. I obviously got it wrong during the fabrication phase. I don't care to redo the pipes so it is what it is. The other issue is that the front track is a bit too wide and the faces of the tires are up against the insides of the fenders. This is actually keeping the fenders front going all the way down over the tires. I have a plan to modify the wheel backs so they will go on further and free everything up. Anywho, here's some chassis shots and a mock up showing the car up on all 4 wheels for the first time ever. The body is in its final primer coat and ready for color. 

1600655519538-vi.jpg

1600655516804-vi.jpg

1600655536920-vi.jpg

1600655942064-vi.jpg

1600655974362-vi.jpg

1600656047889-vi.jpg

1600656141602-vi.jpg

1600656160701-vi.jpg

1600656091911-vi.jpg

1600656100693-vi.jpg

Looks like it's already sitting very nicely, so any work you do on the wheel backs will only make it even better.

The front end panels all seem to fit nicely with each other as well. That's where something went awry on my '37 reassembly, maybe I hadn't got the upper bodyshell fitted down tightly enough onto the lower portion?

UPDATE!

Over the last few days I was able to spray color and clear on this project. I dared to be different. A couple friends and I joked that I should put Taxi Cab decals on it, hahaha. Love it or hate it, though, this is it! Tamiya TS34 "Camel Yellow" with their black and clear as well. Still need to foil the windshield frame and black out the rear window rubber seals. 

1600927069034-vi.jpg

1600927056498-vi.jpg

1600927082858-vi.jpg

1600927232446-vi.jpg

1600927174647-vi.jpg

1600927218763-vi.jpg

Let me know what you all think!

Well, I didn't expect that!  Very cool Dennis.  I have just done a two tone 34 pickup myself but it is not as arresting as this combo!  Great to see the wheels tucked in, I haven't assembled this suspension before and I was surprised to see how much scrub radius it had.  Just as well these things are plastic, eh?  Mind you, everytime I see a real rod with finned Buick drums on a beam axle I wonder about scrub radius, when the kingpin is a short walk from the tyre contact patch!

I particularly like the way the black fenders highlight the soft metal finish of your wheels - it just works!

Cheers

Alan

7 hours ago, alan barton said:

Well, I didn't expect that!  Very cool Dennis.  I have just done a two tone 34 pickup myself but it is not as arresting as this combo!  Great to see the wheels tucked in, I haven't assembled this suspension before and I was surprised to see how much scrub radius it had.  Just as well these things are plastic, eh?  Mind you, everytime I see a real rod with finned Buick drums on a beam axle I wonder about scrub radius, when the kingpin is a short walk from the tyre contact patch!

I particularly like the way the black fenders highlight the soft metal finish of your wheels - it just works!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks, Alan! 

The exaggerated scrub radius is partly my fault because of the way I built the back side of the wheels. If you read my previous chassis post you’ll notice I plan to correct it, mostly because the track is too wide keeping the wheels and tires from fitting up into the fenders properly. Keep in mind I modified the spindles with the mounting stubs and disc brakes from the Revell 32 kits whereas the 37 kits have simple flat wheel back. 

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!

A small update but progress is progress. I was able to get the floor "carpet" and inside of the firewall painted. Did a quick mock up to see how the final interior paint scheme looked together. Very pleased. I also sprayed the underside of the floor and hood panels flat black. Getting closer...

1601960363427-vi.jpg

Dennis....surprised but very pleased that you are applying your touch to this oldie but goodie!   I remember railing about that non-dropped front I-beam with non-split wishbones when the kit first came out; other than that bugaboo it was a really fine kit for the time. 

Love the parts swapping you are doing.....but was surprised to learn the latest issues of the coupe had that lowered rear suspension.  Need to go see if I can find one in my stash.  

One idea for a quick fix of the gap in your exhaust pipe fit - I've done this (seems like hundreds of times) and most always works well.  Simply mix up a small blob of 5 minute epoxy and flow it into the gap.  As it dries, you may need to "mold" it a bit (with an X-Acto) to more properly match the curvature of the two mating pipes.  When dry, touch up with some matching paint on a brush and voila - issue fixed (or at the very least, minimized).  

One idea here that everyone would benefit from is noting how Dennis paint details all of his engine, chassis, and interior components.  I learned this approach from 1960's modeler/journalist Don Emmons, and I've found it adds greatly to a model's appearance, especially when time does not allow the kind of detailing that Dennis has added here. 

And kudos on the Yellow/Black paint scheme.  Eye catching for sure!    

When this kit first came out, I ended up building three versions - IIRC, one for Street Rodder Modeler's corner (mint green, mostly box stock) and two for Scale Auto (two-tone metallic blue and a second one in full blackout mode).  When you get yours done and posted in the "Under Glass" Section, I'll post pix of my three as well for a scale Comparo...keeping in mind that mine were built about three decades(!) ago....  

Best wishes as you complete this project....and thanks a bunch for taking the time to photograph and explain how you are putting it together.  TIM 

• 2 months later...

UPDATE!

It's been a solid month since I've had any decent time available to spend at my workbench and just over 2 months since I touched this poor thing. Finally, this past Sunday I was able to get in a few hours and decided to spend it wrapping up the final fine paint details for this project, as well as blacking out the inside of the body and underside of the fenders. I believe at this point there's nothing left to do but assembly. 

1607489231331-vi.jpg

I also did the final polish and wax on all of the exterior surfaces. Pretty dang happy with the result! I think with the success of these fenders I'll finally have the balls to try an all shiny black hot rod. 

1607489256516-vi.jpg

1607489263851-vi.jpg

1607489279465-vi.jpg

1607489282805-vi.jpg

1607489298473-vi.jpg

Sadly we'll be out of town this weekend so progress will have to wait but I'm gonna do my best to finish this model by the end of the year.

ADL,

Your work is so klean and refreshing!  I truly enjoy keeping up to date on your progress, not only on this, but the way you post what you're up to on any one of your builds!  Very helpful pictures and supporting texts!

Needs a checker board firewall!

Always Kool, Brother!