Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another alternative to bare metal foil

These are simply chrome decals of varying thicknesses that you cut out and apply like a long thin decal with setting solution.  They don’t like curves, but they overlap similarly to bare metal foil.  Apply decal solution, then decal, then more solution to help move decal into place.  For windshields, it would take 2 long and 2 short pieces that would overlap.  I did learn to cut the decals to the exact length before applying them (much easier than trimming the length after they were applied).  Ron.

The overlapping on the windshield is very  similar to foil in that it is difficult to see.  Personally, it was less frustrating for me than foil and the finish is less “wrinkly” and more shiny than foil with no buffing necessary and no removal of adhesive.  Ron.

Very interesting, thanks for trying it and giving us a report. Much appreciated! B)

Looks like it could be VERY useful for some applications, but I doubt it will completely replace BMF, Molotow, or several other established chrome trim techniques. Also looks like a little Molotow touchups in corners and whatnot will really help with these, too. 

you can get rolls of bmf in the nail varnish section on amazon. they come in packs of 20 or more colours and some have a turned gold/silver leaf look to them and being designed for nail varnish they work great with auto acrylics. the last set i got was 30p (50 cents) with free shipping from china. Dont be tempted to get more than one at a time though, the shipping on 2 packs would have been £15!! so I did them all as seperate orders to get the free shipping

16 hours ago, stitchdup said:

you can get rolls of bmf in the nail varnish section on amazon. they come in packs of 20 or more colours and some have a turned gold/silver leaf look to them and being designed for nail varnish they work great with auto acrylics. the last set i got was 30p (50 cents) with free shipping from china. Dont be tempted to get more than one at a time though, the shipping on 2 packs would have been £15!! so I did them all as seperate orders to get the free shipping

What I found in searching was a foil that required a glue base, not self adhesive.   Is there a self adhesive version?  

3 hours ago, randyc said:

What I found in searching was a foil that required a glue base, not self adhesive.   Is there a self adhesive version?  

yes, the ones i have come on rolls of 30ft each. The first couple of wraps around the roll dont stick too well but once you get about a foot into the roll it works well. I havent managed to get it to go around tight corners too well but for gentle curves it works well and it needs to be burnished down a little more than bmf does. I wouldn't call it an alternative to bmf though, I think it works better for adding detail to a paint job. The same place does fingernail decals that work well for doing seat trim but to do an interior you'd need 4 or 5 packs. I'll see if i can find a link later

Detail Master tried to compete with BMF (about 25 years ago) and came out with their own version of adhesive metal foil.  I tried it once and I still have the rest of the sheet stashed somewhere (unused). It was vastly inferior (too stiff) compared to the original chrome BMF.  I'm another BMF (original chrome) addict.

When someone proves to me that there is a "durable" alternative to BMF that is as easy to work with and looks this good, then I'll convert.

In my nearly 50 years of building, there has yet to be anything else that even comes close.

It still baffles me why people continue to search for alternatives for a material that works as well as this tried and true product.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

image.jpeg.80afd094fc15a68331728d4074654eac.jpeg

image.jpeg.d300cae776707d33dc5ee7fb05a93e4e.jpeg

Steve

5 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

When someone proves to me that there is a "durable" alternative to BMF that is as easy to work with and looks this good, then I'll convert.

In my nearly 50 years of building, there has yet to be anything else that even comes close.

It still baffles me why people continue to search for alternatives for a material that works as well as this tried and true product.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

What he said......