Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Old Friend (Is A Tool!)

I was thinking, the  other day, that this vise is really an old friend, at my workbench. I bought it at the Hedahl's Auto Parts store in Glendive, MT, in about 1974. It was in one of those "cheap tools" bins  that every parts store seems to have. I think I paid $1.99, for it. I use it virtually every time I sit down at the bench. It's  had its share of abuse, but, what a great companion this old Globemaster has been! Anybody else have an old tool they've had around forever that still gets constant use? I still have a pin vise I bought, about that same time, that I used, just earlier. It's the first pin vise I ever had, too.

DSC_0019cr.jpg

I have an old vise my parents got me for Christmas in the 80's I think. It has a nice heavy base so sits on the bench and has rubber on the grip part that can be removed. I use it just about every single day.

I have a set of small files that my father got for me when I was 12 for my model building. I use them on my bench today.

I also have my original Autoworld hot knife from same era. I found it years ago when cleaning out my father’s garage.  I don’t use it

I have a few but the oldest that I can recall is a set of metal files that I got doing a modeling contest when I has in High School. They set in an oblong wood block with the X-ACTO name bended  in the base. 

A tool I still have, bought when I was a teen around 1991 to remove the chain link on my BMX, is a small flat ended screwdriver. The shaft is all pitted and the handle smoothed round but still grips a screw when I use it.

20200728_235259_LLS.JPG

Edited by doorsovdoon
add photo

18 hours ago, Draggon said:

I got a Binks Wren airbrush in 1968. It went back into service in 2006 when I got back into the hobby. Binks Wren Review - Don's Airbrush Tips

Aww , the old Binks Wren ❤️ , I have a B model , first airbrush I bought , would rather use it than any other I have , so simple to use and clean .

Ahh the Wren B model,  mines 55 years old now. Haven’t used it much lately because it slipped out of the hanger and hit the floor a few years ago damaging the tip. Anybody know of a place to get replacements and if so what number?

Thanks

My favorite is a vise as well. It is an old discarded Panavise that was missing its base. The shaft had internal threads so I found a stainless steel bolt that would thread into it. My Grandpa gave me a HEAVY disc shaped piece of metal he called a "standard" for measuring something on Union Pacific locomotives. I TIG welded the head of the bolt to the disc and threaded the vice onto it. It is so stable that I never need a 3rd hand to steady it when using it for modeling or soldering electronics. I can also position it anywhere on the bench. It is really handy when scratch building parts.

Miter cuts in progress.JPG

3 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

My favorite is a vise as well. It is an old discarded Panavise that was missing its base. The shaft had internal threads so I found a stainless steel bolt that would thread into it. My Grandpa gave me a HEAVY disc shaped piece of metal he called a "standard" for measuring something on Union Pacific locomotives. I TIG welded the head of the bolt to the disc and threaded the vice onto it. It is so stable that I never need a 3rd hand to steady it when using it for modeling or soldering electronics. I can also position it anywhere on the bench. It is really handy when scratch building parts.

That's a nice setup!

I've never had a Binks airbrush. My first one was that Badger rig you could get in the Auto World catalog, with the canned air. I never could get that thing to work properly. I didn't have any kind of patience, back then! ?