Model Cars Magazine Forum

Color of 1967 Oldsmobile engine?

One of our resident builders used a Chrysler Turbine Bronze (car body paint) on his 442. Testors in the US used to make a Chrysler Bronze metallic that is probably the closest you will find in a spray can if it was ever offered in your country.

image.png.0017cbf3f698e3966ddc4a57d9581653.png

2 hours ago, Rodent said:

One of our resident builders used a Chrysler Turbine Bronze (car body paint) on his 442. Testors in the US used to make a Chrysler Bronze metallic that is probably the closest you will find in a spray can if it was ever offered in your country

The exact color that I used was MCW "Turbine Bronze".

I believe the Testors "Dark Bronze" is probably a darker color.

A good alternative might be Testors "One Coat" "Fiery Orange" lacquer.

If the OP is looking for a true representation of Oldsmobile Copper engine paint, and is able to acquire it, Scale Finishes carries the color in one ounce jars of enamel air brush paint.

Oldsmobile also used a gold paint from 1964-1972, in conjunction with the copper, (1965-1969)

Scale Finishes carries that option as well.

1967-oldsmobile-442-engine.jpg

This is the engine done with MCW "Turbine Bronze".

image.jpeg.8f28c63484c365afd7b733a4c6ca0794.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Thanks for chiming in Steve. I am not sure what the OP is going to find in a bottle or rattle can in Ukraine that is close to this color. I am slightly older than you are and I don't remember ever seeing a bronze Olds engine in real life. The non-blue ones I remember including the one I owned were gold like your pic.

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

I am slightly older than you are and I don't remember ever seeing a bronze Olds engine in real life.

49 minutes ago, Bucky said:

I wonder what criteria determined which color was applied.

According to what I have been able to find, gold was the color for Olds small blocks from 1964 to 1976. (not sure if all of them were this color)

Bronze, (or copper) was applied to 400 engines from 1965-1969.

Blue for the 1970-'76 455.

Most 425's as well as some early 455's were red.

Here is a link that I found.                                                                           www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com/products.asp?dept=345

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller