Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help customizing models

Hi everyone. 

I have 0 experience with model cars, but recently I bought 3 models that I would like to customize, but I don't know where to begin. 
One is a ready made 1/24 from NEX and the other 2 are diecast model kits.
So my problem with those models is that on all of them the axles are made of flimsy plastic and I would like to replace them with metal ones. I have no idea what to look for and what exactly I should get or do to modify those models.

Can anyone here give me a direction? I've been googling "metal rod" "metal axle model kit" this kinds of things, and I did found some parts, but I'm not sure if there are more specific parts out there.

Thanks! 

Lucas, you can use pretty much anything that will fit your particular wheels.  For example, normal carpentry nails from a hardware store, spokes from a push bike wheel, axles from old toys or AMT model kits.  There is no right or wrong and I doubt very much whether you will be able to buy something specifically called "metal axle for a model kit"  You are simply looking for something that is straight, strong and round.

Other sources could include the K&S metal rack at a hobby shop ( if you have one near where you live)  the struts out of an old umbrella, or metal out of an old grille such as those used in BBQs or a fridge shelf.  It really is a matter of finding something that will fit the size of the wheel hubs you are using.  You will need a good strong pair of sidecutter pliers to cut most of this material - cheap tools from a discount store will probably be useless! Either that or a junior hacksaw with a sharp fine toothed blade.

Remember, you may also need to drill some holes through where the plastic axles or stubs attached to the frame of the original model and it may be convenient to drill a slightly larger hole in your wheel hub to suit the size of the metal that you have found.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Alan

LCDM,  go to the hardware store in your area. take the plastic axle with you , ask them for  sprinkler markers, or for the wire that holds insulation in the attic, etc. if you  have that in Australia? Just walk around a hardware store and look for same size wire, (as your plastic axle) . Also some wire to tie dry flowers together will work. Check out a craft shop for that also.Good luck hunting!

Thanks a lot everyone!

That was very helpful. I will try the local hardware store and see what I can find there!

Just to add to the replies, I did find metal axles designed for RC cars, they come in bundles of 20-100 several sizes as well like 2mmx100mm or 2mmx300mm and so on, they are not expensive but maybe there are cheaper alternatives like you've suggested. 

Once again, thanks!