Model Cars Magazine Forum

Osca MT4, 1954 Sebring winner

Pico

Started with a 1/43d diecast, which I scanned and modified for 3D printing, then output at 1/24th scale. Also designed in Sketchup the oval grille, chassis plate and dashboard. The wire wheels and Nardi steering wheel were previously designed for another model. That's all printed also on my Anycubic Photon. Water slide decals designed in Inkscape and printed on an HP copier. Car was owned by Briggs Cunningham and driven by Bill Lloyd and Stirling Moss.

DSCN9570.JPG

DSCN9567.JPG

4 minutes ago, Pico said:

Started with a 1/43d diecast, which I scanned and modified for 3D printing, then output at 1/24th scale. 

That looks terrific. People often say that our hobby may be dying, and it certainly has been looking that way, but then a technology like this comes along and opens a whole new door. Outstanding work.

6 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Very impressive work. I suspect it's not quite as easy as just scanning and hiting enlarge?......

There is a great deal of design work involved, but when you have developed those skills, you can make anything.

22 hours ago, TonyK said:

Most of what you explained was Greek to me but what a great finished model! Very nice!

It's not difficult once you catch onto it. Here I have taken the mesh and added planes on the inside to give the model thickness, so it can be printed. 

Screenshot (11).png

I will never forget seeing your work when you, Bob Downie and several other of your mates from the Grand Prix Modelers Association came and visited us at the NNL West in 2016. All the models you all presented were exceptional in both significance of subject matter and execution, Your models in particular, from the Miller Golden Submarine through your stunning streamline masterpieces (the Figoni et Falaschi Talbot Lago and the Saoutchik Bugatti), have stayed with me both because of their significance as automobiles and their uniqueness in 1/24th scale. At the time I believe you were just getting started in 3D modeling and most of your models had been created largely by sculpting their bodies or the molds to make them. Now 3D gives you the tools to model these important cars in full detail (ir you choose) with accurately rendered hollow bodies. But the skill to "see" the body in 3 dimensions has always been your gift, along with knowing whic the important cars to model. This lovely OSCA is no exception!

On 8/5/2020 at 1:22 PM, Bernard Kron said:

I will never forget seeing your work when you, Bob Downie and several other of your mates from the Grand Prix Modelers Association came and visited us at the NNL West in 2016. All the models you all presented were exceptional in both significance of subject matter and execution, Your models in particular, from the Miller Golden Submarine through your stunning streamline masterpieces (the Figoni et Falaschi Talbot Lago and the Saoutchik Bugatti), have stayed with me both because of their significance as automobiles and their uniqueness in 1/24th scale. At the time I believe you were just getting started in 3D modeling and most of your models had been created largely by sculpting their bodies or the molds to make them. Now 3D gives you the tools to model these important cars in full detail (ir you choose) with accurately rendered hollow bodies. But the skill to "see" the body in 3 dimensions has always been your gift, along with knowing whic the important cars to model. This lovely OSCA is no exception!

Thanks very much! I'd like to visit again, we had an excellent time.