Model Cars Magazine Forum

SO-CAN 32 lakester: Canada's answer to SoCal Spd Shp

4 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Claude I have no idea what they did for traction.  This is from Wikipedia below.  This was on what looks like smooth tires. 

On January 12, 1904 in New Baltimore, Michigan, Henry Ford personally drove the rechristened 999 with his mechanic Ed "Spider" Huff at the throttle. A new land speed record was achieved of 91.37 mph (147.05 km/h) on an ice track carved into Lake St. Clair's Anchor Bay. It stood for only a few weeks, but this was ample time to bring more good publicity for Ford's new company.

Hi Andy!

Thanks for the link. Instructive.

In fact, I understand they set-up a temporary strip, by removing packed snow from the frozen surface of the lake. Many cities do the same to create outdoors skating rings around here. Who needs Bonneville anymore? 

When may be on to something... 

CT

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HI!

I was honoured by receiving an email from the President of IPMS-ACME, telling me my So-Can Speed Shop 32 lakester was awarded the President's Award in their online model show (these are Covid times, after all). This novel format was well executed, and pulled-in thousands of inscriptions. Bravo!

Many thanks to all involved. It makes  the hours spent at the workbench all the more pleasant. 

Regards,

Claude Thibodeau 

1 hour ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

I was honoured by receiving an email from the President of IPMS-ACME, telling me my So-Can Speed Shop 32 lakester was awarded the President's Award in their online model show (these are Covid times, after all). This novel format was well executed, and pulled-in thousands of inscriptions. Bravo!

Congratulation Claude!

I was not aware of this online model show but I am happy to know that your So-Can 32 has been awarded, it certainly deserves the recognition it got!

You've put a lot of work on this model and it's a show winner, you've just had proof of it!

Please don't forget to post some pics of the trophy if they send one to you.

I'm proud of you my friend!!! ?

1 hour ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Congratulation Claude!

I was not aware of this online model show but I am happy to know that your So-Can 32 has been awarded, it certainly deserves the recognition it got!

You've put a lot of work on this model and it's a show winner, you've just had proof of it!

Please don't forget to post some pics of the trophy if they send one to you.

I'm proud of you my friend!!! ?

Hi Francis!

Thank you for the kind words.  I'm told there is an official plaque that is coming trough the mail. I'll keep you posted!

CT

• 3 years later...

Without a doubt this is IMHO the best representation of a lakester ever built. I can sit here for hours just marveling over the intricacy of the wiring.plumbing. That chassis work alone is a work of art. Any and all accolades you receive for this build will be well deserved. In one post you mentioned an Allison powered build coming; has that one been one done or is it in construction?

On 2/25/2024 at 2:12 PM, TarheelRick said:

Without a doubt this is IMHO the best representation of a lakester ever built. I can sit here for hours just marveling over the intricacy of the wiring.plumbing. That chassis work alone is a work of art. Any and all accolades you receive for this build will be well deserved. In one post you mentioned an Allison powered build coming; has that one been one done or is it in construction?

Hi Ricky!

Thanks for the compliments. At some point, I was overwhelmed with the wiring job... but I persisted, and got it done. 

I was honored to receive the President's award from ACME the year Atlanta held the annual contest ON LINE because of Covid. Which led to an article and spread in Car Model Builder, a couple of issues before it stopped publication. The car also won a few first place trophies in contests here in Canada.

As to the Allison salt car, it is visible on this very forum. I think it is on page three (3) in this same category. The thread title is: SALTZWAGEN. I certainly would like to read your comments about it. I suspect you might like it! LOL. 

CT  

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Thanks Bruce! 

I guess  I read too many books on Bonneville. Oh well...

CT

Hello Claude. I had the pleasure of going to bonneville and watching Al Teague run his 392 hemi streamliner win a class record that held for over 20 years. Maybe more. Went to his house ( in Los angles) to see it before it ran. My friend Charlie Hamilton, was the tuner, he had a Honda dealership called Sierra Motors in Lake Tahoe, and I had an automotive restoration shop called Sierra Design . We did very well. I restored Charlie’s 32 fords and all of his other cool cars. But since I knew Charlie, he invited me to see it run. Fun stuff. Your model looks like the real deal. It could run at bonneville. Great job ! Another fantastic car out of your design studio. 

Outstanding! Excellent contribution to the art of modeling, Brother!! The attention to detail in so many areas is almost over whelming... the only things missing on your plate of spaghetti are the meatballs;) -KK 

AWESOME.jpg.23fdd6464020fbfe1854b8606166f8e3.jpg