Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1989 Corvette Convertible

RDean58

I started a lot of these back in 2015, this one hit the bench February 22 of that year. Got the engine done, frame modified, then put it in the box. Today I gave it a couple coats of Tamiya TS-54 Light metallic blue and shot the interior with Testors Nassau blue.

AMT_1989_Chevrolet_Corvette_01.jpg

AMT_1989_Chevrolet_Corvette_02.jpg

AMT_1989_Chevrolet_Corvette_03.jpg

AMT_1989_Chevrolet_Corvette_04.jpg

AMT_1989_Chevrolet_Corvette_05.jpg

AMT_1989_Chevrolet_Corvette_06.jpg

I'm hoping I'll get this one done in a few days, thank you for looking, all comments welcomed.

Looks good so far.

Who does the best C4 Corvette? I've started getting familiar with them as I've just robbed the LT5 out of Monogram's '92 ZR-1, and I also have an MPC 1987/88 2-in-1. The Monogram doesn't look too bad (remember that I don't get much opportunity to see these at 1:1).

8 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Looks good so far.

Who does the best C4 Corvette? I've started getting familiar with them as I've just robbed the LT5 out of Monogram's '92 ZR-1, and I also have an MPC 1987/88 2-in-1. The Monogram doesn't look too bad (remember that I don't get much opportunity to see these at 1:1).

I always felt that Monogram nails the Corvette’s, for looks and their overall feel. I’ll take a Monogram Corvette any day, all day long!

I recently picked up AMTs 93 Corvette convertible dirt cheap.  I haven't started it yet, but from past experience, the Monogram kits went together well. Cant explain it, but the AMT kit just looks like it will have issues. 

49 minutes ago, Superbird McMonte said:

I always felt that Monogram nails the Corvette’s, for looks and their overall feel. I’ll take a Monogram Corvette any day, all day long!

32 minutes ago, Rbray47 said:

I recently picked up AMTs 93 Corvette convertible dirt cheap.  I haven't started it yet, but from past experience, the Monogram kits went together well. Cant explain it, but the AMT kit just looks like it will have issues. 

I'll look to keep the Monogram '92 for a kerbside build one day then. C4s are probably quite a complex thing to model, with that clamshell bonnet.

38 minutes ago, Rbray47 said:

I found out on these that if you cut the trans tunnel off the frame (the raised area) that the tire/wheel to fender clearance looks a lot better. Make sure the engine site in the frame correctly by putting the body on then glueing in the engine. Also it helps if you put the exhaust system on first before putting the engine in.

5 hours ago, RDean58 said:

I found out on these that if you cut the trans tunnel off the frame (the raised area) that the tire/wheel to fender clearance looks a lot better. Make sure the engine site in the frame correctly by putting the body on then glueing in the engine. Also it helps if you put the exhaust system on first before putting the engine in.

Good to know. I'll probably start mine once the humidity lowers around here and I can paint again.

• 2 weeks later...