Model Cars Magazine Forum

SPOTTED! Experimental 58 Plymouth Cuda concept car...

Claude Thibodeau

very creative.  really like the loow look.  i did a 57 bel air little while back that some may have thought was chezoom roof,  but it had a o7 camaro roof.  had a start on a 57 chrysler thats boxed for now.  the decal down the side on that orange really sets it off.  love the piece of goat also, nice look, nice job.

4 minutes ago, damodelguy az said:

very creative.  really like the loow look.  i did a 57 bel air little while back that some may have thought was chezoom roof,  but it had a o7 camaro roof.  had a start on a 57 chrysler thats boxed for now.  the decal down the side on that orange really sets it off.  love the piece of goat also, nice look, nice job.

Hi Glen!

Thanks for the comments. 

The decal appl;ication made me nervous... I only had one set, and the shape of the fender required it would be cut, and angled straight forward about 18 scale inches before the tip. If you zoom on the pics, just over the rear tire, you'll see a tiny irregularity. Well... Couldn't do better. My eyes are getting older, or maybe it's the hands?

CT

20 hours ago, espo said:

Very creative design and the paint finish is great. I'm glad you mention all of the different bits and pieces used since it would be almost impossible to backward engineer this one. 

Hi David!

Thanks for the comments. I've seen your work, and I know you could pull it off, no worries!

CT

1 hour ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi David!

Thanks for the comments. I've seen your work, and I know you could pull it off, no worries!

CT

Thank you for the compliment, but I find I often lose interest before I can finish such an undertaking.   

1 hour ago, espo said:

Thank you for the compliment, but I find I often lose interest before I can finish such an undertaking.   

Hi David!

You know what? Same here. That is why I always have 3 or 4 models in progress at once. Therefore, I can switch when inspiration goes low. More than 4? I tried it, and it was a never-ending marathon, which is worse, I fear...

Besides, that process allows you to throw in improvements that you think about along the way and did not envision at the beginning. Just my 2 cents...

CT 

1 minute ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi David!

You know what? Same here. That is why I always have 3 or 4 models in progress at once. Therefore, I can switch when inspiration goes low. More than 4? I tried it, and it was a never-ending marathon, which is worse, I fear...

Besides, that process allows you to throw in improvements that you think about along the way and did not envision at the beginning. Just my 2 cents...

CT 

I used to do that and found I never finished anything. Now I just put my efforts into one at a time and it does seem to work a little better for me. My stumbling block seems to be when I start running hoses and fuel lines and other wiring. I like doing all that and do a pretty fair job of it but my fat fingers and eye sight are starting to let me down. 

5 minutes ago, espo said:

I used to do that and found I never finished anything. Now I just put my efforts into one at a time and it does seem to work a little better for me. 

Same for me! I like to concentrate on the model as if it’s a 1:1 and “feel” the process, if that makes sense to you guys.

At most I will build a pair of the same model at same time. My 1950 Chevy pickup project worked well. The pair of Jeepsters a little less well 

1 minute ago, Tom Geiger said:

Same for me! I like to concentrate on the model as if it’s a 1:1 and “feel” the process, if that makes sense to you guys.

At most I will build a pair of the same model at same time. My 1950 Chevy pickup project worked well. The pair of Jeepsters a little less well 

Ya I remember following your Chevy pick up builds. They turned out great but I think two might be the max at a time for me. 

16 minutes ago, espo said:

I used to do that and found I never finished anything. Now I just put my efforts into one at a time and it does seem to work a little better for me. My stumbling block seems to be when I start running hoses and fuel lines and other wiring. I like doing all that and do a pretty fair job of it but my fat fingers and eye sight are starting to let me down. 

David, what you say is sOOOOOOO true! To console you, let me quote the famous Pete Chapouris, of Pete & Jake's fame: "The moment you start bending and running brake lines on a car, you start loosing money!".... 

Well, let's proclaim " The moment you start installing brake lines, hoses, air lines & al on a model... you start loosing PATIENCE".... And to say that I pride myself in being a patient guy. Go figure...

CT 

2 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

David, what you say is sOOOOOOO true! To console you, let me quote the famous Pete Chapouris, of Pete & Jake's fame: "The moment you start bending and running brake lines on a car, you start loosing money!".... 

Well, let's proclaim " The moment you start installing brake lines, hoses, air lines & al on a model... you start loosing PATIENCE".... And to say that I pride myself in being a patient guy. Go figure...

CT 

I agree . I'm trying to finish a '48 Chevy Aerosedan now. I did the usual spark plugs and even ran the fuel lines up and in front of the engine and then ran the line too the three Carb. setup. As if the three fuel blocks weren't  bad enough the Oil Filter had to wind around all of that also. I have the battery cables pretty well worked out and the mountings for the heater hoses are in place and shouldn't be a problem. Amazingly the kits Radiator Hoses work perfectly, Score !!! But I love doing it.  

8 hours ago, olschoolkid said:

Very cool Cuda concept. I always liked the style of the 58 Plymouth and you brought even more style to it. Awesome job!

Hi Matthew!

Thank you for your comments. Outside of the Chezoom stylish roof, I thing the most effective modification is the addition of the bodyside reveal. A trick that Chrysler reserved for the Imperial, and it works at providing a visual perception of a longer car. 

CT