Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 Eleanor - 1965 and 1966

This is nice and I like it quite a lot.  It might be best to refer to it as a custom gT 500.  I am personally hoping to not get caught up in the dilemma about the daughter of the guy who made the original gone in 60 seconds movie.  She has a lawyer and going after real Eleanor cars and has secured the name Eleanor somehow.  I would gladly send prospective customers to this kit.  It is much more complete and I have new projects to focus on anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the e-mail list to get one. I buy from Spot often. I had one and sold it a year ago since they were going for so much money at the time.

Time to get two. Ant the reference is incorrect, it's a 67 not 65/66. They even reference Revell 65/66 kits which is wrong. You use the AMT 67 Shelby kit as a base.

Edited by Dragline
Add info

2 hours ago, Dragline said:

I'm on the e-mail list to get one. I buy from Spot often. I had one and sold it a year ago since they were going for so much money at the time.

Time to get two. Ant the reference is incorrect, it's a 67 not 65/66. They even reference Revell 65/66 kits which is wrong. You use the AMT 67 Shelby kit as a base.

They might refer to the wrong years on purpose.  Just a theory. ?

To add to the confusion:

On the Spotmodel website the referred to donor kits for the 'old' Eleanor are AMT 38492 and AMT 38509:

image.png.a70103967f3bfb509f056b90b901ea24.png and image.png.ab35faacb97995d1757440d9b8d85ec5.png

There is also this interesting YouTube item:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIguBdqc59A 

Check the first minute and you'll find out that the right donor is this:

image.png.5a8aaea1f943f2e81962a0176e47db3a.png

The maker of this video states to ave contacted Misha (USCP), so that should be a reliable source (Misha, I dont't know the maker of this video).

I'll ask about it on FB.

Edited by matthijsgrit

• 3 weeks later...

You have to use a donor kit of the right scale for it to work and the website says 1:24th scale for the trans kit.
The AMT 67 Mustang and Shelby kits are 1:25th scale and the Revell/Monogram 65-66 Mustang and Shelby kits are 1:24th scale and there are size differences between the two, so that's why they say to use the Revell/Monogram kits.

Edited by Force

• 6 months later...

Unfortunately there are no pictures but It's a 1:24th scale kit and there are no 67-68 Mustang kits available in 1:24th scale, only 1:25.
But if it's a complete transkit including the body it really doesn't matter that much if it's a 65-66 or 67-68 as as you probably just have to use the chassis and drive train from the donor kit and the differences under the body are quite small for these years, but if there are no body in the kit wich year the trans kit is based on does matter a lot for the car to be correct as the body is very different.
The movie car appearently had a small block even tho' the markings say GT500 so to be correct to the markings you need a 428 otherwise the 289 from the 65-66 kits will do.

• 3 months later...

I recently picked up one of these "Eleanor" kits. The are very nicely done. Misha does great work and he's an awesome guy to deal with. I purchased one of his Citroen SM kits a while back and somehow the postal service managed to both damage the package and the body as well as soak the whole thing in water!. Not only did he send me a new body free of charge, but he also sent along a new box and instruction sheet to replace the water damaged ones.

Edited by Dave Toups